what did u wear for your n-400 interview?

I wore a suit as did three or four others that were waiting for their interviews the same time I was. There were some other applicants (I believe I-485 as they were interviewed with spouses) that were dressed in jeans and sweaters. To me, I wanted to dress accordingly for the importance of the event. I wear a suit to work so it was no problem for me. If something this formal does not work, I would just not wear anything with holes/rips/stains, short sleeved, etc.The rules are different for the oath as in some cases that a ceremony in front of federal judge at federal court.

You can wear your birthday suits for the oath ceremony, business casual should be fine for the interview process.

I wore suit and tie yesterday for my oath in New Orleans USCIS office and I am glad I did. About 60% of the men and women were dressed appropriately for the occasion. There were 4 soldiers and an army officer who were also among those who took oath. That might not happen during every ceremony, however wear the best that you have and you will get the best feeling; you will not regret it.

I wore my expensive black Kenneth Cole pants with a nice Teal Calvin Klein shirt. I wore my Kenneth Cole leather shoes and polished them a day before.
I wore a black leather belt and my Seiko watch. I also chose to go with my expensive glasses instead of my contact lenses.

Also did a little bit of grooming (Nails, Facial hair etc) the day before and overused mouthwash before I left for interview.
My skin is very dry and this is winter so I apply cetaphil lotion all over my hands and face. Dry skin will instantly get noticed.
I usually stick to simple breakfasts like cereals on interview days instead of something that has egg or onion in it.

I also use a hint of perfume...just a little bit...one mild spray...Don't want to bother other people with my perfume but don't want my body odor to be too obvious either.

When I am interviewing people I really hate bad breadth and bad hygiene. Then I am totally distracted by that.

The whole point of being dressed up nicely in a interview is that you feel confident about yourself and when you are confident you don't make silly mistakes.

When I was called in for the interview my interviewing officer was very well dressed. He wore Khakis with a smart blue shirt and a very neat sweater.
I am a sucker for expensive watches and commented on his expensive watch which he seemed to appreciate.

Interviewing officers clearly understand that this is a formal process and they need to dress their best. I guess people who go for the interview clearly need to do the same.

Don't be the chump with jeans even if they cost $700.

If you want to memorize this event via pictures/videis then wear something nice that kids and future generations can remember and view in future. It is up to you. Business casual should be sufficient. I think it is matter of self-respect and respect to the others who take the oath.

If you want to memorize this event via pictures/videis then wear something nice that kids and future generations can remember and view in future. It is up to you. Business casual should be sufficient. I think it is matter of self-respect and respect to the others who take the oath.

You can not take pictures anyway during the inetrview. So unless same day oath is possible, this reason why you dresss up is not valid.

Old civic tests have questionbs like color of the flag. I am not sure if anyone ever wore a shirt that has a US flag on it.

Wear a T-shirt that says "Proud to be a US citizen" and then answer Yes to that question

I wore my expensive black Kenneth Cole pants with a nice Teal Calvin Klein shirt. I wore my Kenneth Cole leather shoes and polished them a day before.
I wore a black leather belt and my Seiko watch. I also chose to go with my expensive glasses instead of my contact lenses.

Also did a little bit of grooming (Nails, Facial hair etc) the day before and overused mouthwash before I left for interview.
My skin is very dry and this is winter so I apply cetaphil lotion all over my hands and face. Dry skin will instantly get noticed.
I usually stick to simple breakfasts like cereals on interview days instead of something that has egg or onion in it.

I also use a hint of perfume...just a little bit...one mild spray...Don't want to bother other people with my perfume but don't want my body odor to be too obvious either.

When I am interviewing people I really hate bad breadth and bad hygiene. Then I am totally distracted by that.

The whole point of being dressed up nicely in a interview is that you feel confident about yourself and when you are confident you don't make silly mistakes.

When I was called in for the interview my interviewing officer was very well dressed. He wore Khakis with a smart blue shirt and a very neat sweater.
I am a sucker for expensive watches and commented on his expensive watch which he seemed to appreciate.

Interviewing officers clearly understand that this is a formal process and they need to dress their best. I guess people who go for the interview clearly need to do the same.

Hilarious posting dude. :D What I didn't read is what your wife was wearing, which often leads me to conclude this was about you, NOT about her...LOL!!! I might have seen you two, she was wearing a bleached jean with high heels, original size was 3 inches which we clearly about 1/2 inch from being work down, but I could see the shine on your shoes 3 blocks away... This is the times we live in, men will be lovers of themselves...:confused:

Bad breath doesn't only distract me, make me question how the mouth can accept to live in such a terrible body...:eek:

You can not take pictures anyway during the inetrview. So unless same day oath is possible, this reason why you dresss up is not valid.

Old civic tests have questionbs like color of the flag. I am not sure if anyone ever wore a shirt that has a US flag on it.

sorry i meant oath....still a good business attire makes a good impression...Think about if you applied for a job ....

Hilarious posting dude. :D What I didn't read is what your wife was wearing, which often leads me to conclude this was about you, NOT about her...LOL!!! I might have seen you two, she was wearing a bleached jean with high heels, original size was 3 inches which we clearly about 1/2 inch from being work down, but I could see the shine on your shoes 3 blocks away... This is the times we live in, men will be lovers of themselves...:confused:

Bad breath doesn't only distract me, make me question how the mouth can accept to live in such a terrible body...:eek:

My wife is a very good looking woman who looks wonderful in just about anything. I on the other hand have to try really hard. :). My wife has never worn high heels ever in her life so it couldn't have been her or me that you saw.

My wife is a very good looking woman who looks wonderful in just about anything. I on the other hand have to try really hard. :). My wife has never worn high heels ever in her life so it couldn't have been her or me that you saw.

LOL...trying hard is what made America great, so you are fitting right in....lol!!!

In New Orleans (Metairie USCIS office), taking pictures and video recording is allowed during the oath ceremony. I do not know about the rules in the other locations/offices.

I think you can wear anything decent really. They say dress accordingly but when l went for the interview everyone was dresses differently from suits to sweats.

i wore my expensive black kenneth cole pants with a nice teal calvin klein shirt. I wore my kenneth cole leather shoes and polished them a day before.
I wore a black leather belt and my seiko watch. I also chose to go with my expensive glasses instead of my contact lenses.

Also did a little bit of grooming (nails, facial hair etc) the day before and overused mouthwash before i left for interview.
My skin is very dry and this is winter so i apply cetaphil lotion all over my hands and face. Dry skin will instantly get noticed.

I also use a hint of perfume...just a little bit...one mild spray...don't want to bother other people with my perfume but don't want my body odor to be too obvious either.

When i am interviewing people i really hate bad breadth and bad hygiene. Then i am totally distracted by that.

When i was called in for the interview my interviewing officer was very well dressed. He wore khakis with a smart blue shirt and a very neat sweater.
i am a sucker for expensive watches and commented on his expensive watch which he seemed to appreciate.

interviewing officers clearly understand that this is a formal process and they need to dress their best. I guess people who go for the interview clearly need to do the same.

if any one is wondering, just read the words which are in bold and u will know why this post was so awkward.

-i might get kicked out of the forum for this post :(

cant help not posting this anyway

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever seen the movie "American Psycho", with Christian Bale? There's a part of the movie where Bale's character describes his morning ritual, and your post comes very close to it!