what are the documents required for the Oath Ceremony?

The benefit is not so much in getting an updated card (although if your current card has a notation "employment authorization required", then getting a new card is certainly a plus), but in getting your info updated in the Social Security computer system, so that your U.S. citizen status is reflected there. Most local Social Security offices will send you a new card when you update your status to a U.S. citizen, even if you do not request a new card.

Also, after getting a U.S. passport, you should file a new I-9 form with your employer, updating your status there to that of a U.S. citizen as well.

Employers periodically get audited by ICE for I-9 compliance and if they find a discrepancy between I-9 data and the ICE/USCIS/Social Security data regarding your status, both you and your employer will get into some trouble.

Moreover, more and more states require various categories of employers (and sometimes all employers) in that state to use the E-Verify system to check if a person is authorized to work in the U.S. The use of E-Verify will likely become more and more widespread in the next few years.

When E-Verify discovers ANY kind of a mismatch (even between the status of a person listed as a green card holder vs U.S. citizen in various databases), the employer and the employee get a "no match" letter, and the employee is then requires to fix the discrepancy within a certain period of time. If the discrepancy is not fixed, the employer may be mandated by law to fire the employee in question.

Basically, you do not want to take these kind of chances. So update your status with the Social Security Administration after the naturalization oath, as you are supposed to, then apply for a U.S. passport and after getting it update your I-9 form, again as you are supposed to.

Thank you for your valuable input. Can I update after I apply for US passport? I am planning to apply on June 29 (after my naturalization which is on June 27, 2012). It might take about 4 weeks to get the passport. In the interim I can go to local SSA office to update my SSN. Your suggestion in this regards is appreciated.

Don't bother about I-94. It became obsolete at the moment you got your GC. Trying to return it now would be like pulling your H1-b visa at CBP. Next time you fly out, show the GC at the counter. Or a passport, if you get your citizenship by then. As an option, you can bring all your old immigration documents at the oath, but... don't overcomplicate the situation.

P.S. I still keep my old I-94... sort of souvenir from old good days

Thanks for the info . It makes sense . really appreciate it .

Since we are on this topic ..what about I -94 .

My last entry to US was in 2004 on H1B .. I never left US after that .. applied N400 in April end .. just finished my FP .
So I still have my I -94 from 2004 ... I thought I will return it at airline counter when I go out of US next time .. but after reading this
thread I'm wondering whether to carry it when I go for my oath ceremony

any feedback will be really appreciated !!!

The IO took my I-94 from me at the interview.

Thank you for your valuable input. Can I update after I apply for US passport? I am planning to apply on June 29 (after my naturalization which is on June 27, 2012). It might take about 4 weeks to get the passport. In the interim I can go to local SSA office to update my SSN. Your suggestion in this regards is appreciated.

You'll be able to update the SSA either before or after getting your passport, but not while your passport application is being processed. You will be asked to present an original document to prove your citizenship status, be it a passport or a natz certificate. The SSA agent will examine the document and return it to you immediately. When you apply for your passport, you'll have to send the natz certificate along with the application, and won't have any documentary proof of citizenship until you receive the passport and the natz certificate is returned to you.

When you apply for your passport, you'll have to send the natz certificate along with the application, and won't have any documentary proof of citizenship until you receive the passport and the natz certificate is returned to you.

... UNLESS you apply for your passport at a Passport Agency, in which case they will copy your natz certificate and give the original back to you on the spot. One of the benefits of applying at a PA.

... UNLESS you apply for your passport at a Passport Agency, in which case they will copy your natz certificate and give the original back to you on the spot. One of the benefits of applying at a PA.

When I was getting a passport at the Chicago passport agency in May 2009, they did take my naturalization certificate, for about half a day. They returned it to me together with the passport later on that afternoon.

In my opinion the order if there is name change during N-400 should be
1. Make photo copies of NC
2. Visit DMV get a new DL/state ID
3. Visit SSN. with your new ID and NC the job is over in a jiffy. They will take old SSN card. Keep a photo copy. New card with your old SS Number will be sent by post in 2 weeks
4. Visit PO or passport agency.

In case you have an urgent trip abroad , visit Passport Agency first , item 2,3 above can wait.

In my opinion the order if there is name change during N-400 should be
1. Make photo copies of NC
2. Visit DMV get a new DL/state ID
3. Visit SSN. with your new ID and NC the job is over in a jiffy. They will take old SSN card. Keep a photo copy. New card with your old SS Number will be sent by post in 2 weeks
4. Visit PO or passport agency.

In case you have an urgent trip abroad , visit Passport Agency first , item 2,3 above can wait.

Thanks Madh4 for the order you made. I have made an appointment for the passport in the nearest post office (two days after oath ceremony). In such case I can show my current DL. Am I right?

How about going to SSA office showing NC and current DL (with out updated one)? When I go to DMV to update the status will DMV issue new DL? The DMV office where I got my DL does not give DL on the spot. I got my interim license (about 2 months) when we relocated from NJ to CA and then the DL came from Sacramento, CA after 4 weeks by mail.

I appreciate your response.

Last edited by a moderator:
The benefit is not so much in getting an updated card (although if your current card has a notation "employment authorization required", then getting a new card is certainly a plus), but in getting your info updated in the Social Security computer system, so that your U.S. citizen status is reflected there. Most local Social Security offices will send you a new card when you update your status to a U.S. citizen, even if you do not request a new card.

Also, after getting a U.S. passport, you should file a new I-9 form with your employer, updating your status there to that of a U.S. citizen as well.

Employers periodically get audited by ICE for I-9 compliance and if they find a discrepancy between I-9 data and the ICE/USCIS/Social Security data regarding your status, both you and your employer will get into some trouble.

Moreover, more and more states require various categories of employers (and sometimes all employers) in that state to use the E-Verify system to check if a person is authorized to work in the U.S. The use of E-Verify will likely become more and more widespread in the next few years.

When E-Verify discovers ANY kind of a mismatch (even between the status of a person listed as a green card holder vs U.S. citizen in various databases), the employer and the employee get a "no match" letter, and the employee is then requires to fix the discrepancy within a certain period of time. If the discrepancy is not fixed, the employer may be mandated by law to fire the employee in question.

Basically, you do not want to take these kind of chances. So update your status with the Social Security Administration after the naturalization oath, as you are supposed to, then apply for a U.S. passport and after getting it update your I-9 form, again as you are supposed to.

Thanks...makes a lot of sense. I work for myself and will therefore keep my "employer" informed very well :) But jokes aside, I shall surely update the SSN office now...based on the above information. I hope most folks do that as well.

Last edited by a moderator: