What are next activitiwes after naturalization oath?

emno

Registered Users (C)
What are next activities after naturalization oath?

Hi,

I passed my test/interview today and now I am waiting for my oath letter.

I understand that I have to complete the following activites after my oath:

1. Update SSN
2. Update DMV
3. Voter Registration
4. Apply Passport for self/spouse and my 15 yaers old.
5. Apply N-600 for my 15 years old.
6. Update my employer ??

Is there any specific sequence or pre-requisite for these activities? or they are independent or each other?

I guess DMV update and voter registration can be done in one visit. do I need passport for this?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it all depends on your priorities. As I mentioned on another thread, my personal top priority was to restore my ability to travel out of the country, just in case of any family emergency in the home country. Therefore my first step was the passport application. Since the passport application requires sending your naturalization certificate to the State Department, you then can't do anything else which requires proof of citizenship until you get your passport (and the naturalization certificate is returned to you).

In my case, I waited for my passport. When it arrived, I went and updated SSA. I took my passport to SSA (in fact, my naturalization certificate had not even been returned to me when I went to SSA). This worked fine.

Since I have the impression that DDS uses the SSN database to check citizenship status, I'm waiting for my new SSN card to arrive before visiting DDS (on the theory that will allow me to be confident the SSN database has been updated). I'll probably just take my passport as proof to DDS, as I did with SSA.

That sounds like a smart idea to do voter registration when you visit DDS. In my case, I actually did mail in my registration right after getting citizenship, too. Since you don't have to submit proof of citizenship, just a driver's license, that worked for me. However, my license doesn't identify me as a non-citizen.

(in fact, my naturalization certificate had not even been returned to me when I went to SSA). .

What do you mean not returned your NC, by who? Does this process differ from state to state, I believe you should always be the holder of the original NC, nobody can take it. Correct me if I am wrong.

What do you mean not returned your NC, by who? Does this process differ from state to state, I believe you should always be the holder of the original NC, nobody can take it. Correct me if I am wrong.

You have to submit your NC with your passport application. I believe if you go to a regional passport agency you can probably just show it to them, and get it returned immediately. But Atlanta doesn't have a passport agency. I applied through USPS and therefore my NC went to the State Department and was not returned to me until after they sent my passport. This is pretty standard, as you can see if you read the sticky thread about passport applications.

I think it all depends on your priorities. As I mentioned on another thread, my personal top priority was to restore my ability to travel out of the country, just in case of any family emergency in the home country. Therefore my first step was the passport application. Since the passport application requires sending your naturalization certificate to the State Department, you then can't do anything else which requires proof of citizenship until you get your passport (and the naturalization certificate is returned to you).

In my case, I waited for my passport. When it arrived, I went and updated SSA. I took my passport to SSA (in fact, my naturalization certificate had not even been returned to me when I went to SSA). This worked fine.

Since I have the impression that DDS uses the SSN database to check citizenship status, I'm waiting for my new SSN card to arrive before visiting DDS (on the theory that will allow me to be confident the SSN database has been updated). I'll probably just take my passport as proof to DDS, as I did with SSA.

That sounds like a smart idea to do voter registration when you visit DDS. In my case, I actually did mail in my registration right after getting citizenship, too. Since you don't have to submit proof of citizenship, just a driver's license, that worked for me. However, my license doesn't identify me as a non-citizen.

thanks.
What is DDS? (one more word to learn)

I am not even sure if they require such information at all. I clearly remember not having to show them my immigration papers when opening accounts.

Many financials activity requires veirfying immigration status after 9-11. Unifrom loan application for mortagge explicitly ask if the appllcant two questions with Yes/No checkbox

(1) US citizen Yes/No
(2) PR Yes/No

Most banks prepare these forms with Yes for citizen question already checked. Because teh abnk usually preapre this form for you and then sent it for yoru signature. I personally beleive many noncitizens might hjave missed that and actually unknowingly claim to be a US citizen when they are not.
But even so I don't think it is a matter because it is not a willful act

I am not even sure if they require such information at all. I clearly remember not having to show them my immigration papers when opening accounts.

After US Patrict Act, they ask for your immigration status but often they just take your words for it so you do not need to show them papers. Or worse, they may already
put down you as a citizen when you were not because that is on their form template (majority of customers are citizen anyway). So you mmay have already unknowingly wrongly claimed to be a US citizen --- but don't worry that is not your fault so there was no miatake if you said NO to that "ever claimed to be a US citizen" question on N400

When I arrived in the US on L-1 in 2002, I didn't have to provide any special documentation to open a bank account. However, a couple of years ago my father, who spends some time with us each year, wanted a bank account here for his convenience. It had to be a joint account with me, which was fine by us, but also there was a lot of fuss and paperwork about proving that I was a "US person." This was at the bank where I've banked all along, and was obviously Patriot Act consequences.

"US person" is the IRS designation of a US taxpayer. It includes nonimmigrants with employment authorization, such as H1-B etc., in addition to citizens and permanent residents.

Or worse, they may already put down you as a citizen when you were not because that is on their form template (majority of customers are citizen anyway). So you mmay have already unknowingly wrongly claimed to be a US citizen ...
WBH, sometimes you crack me up with your far-reaching hypothetical scenarios :D