What address to use in Citizenship form

I140helppls

Registered Users (C)
I am applying for my citizenship. I had applied for a re-entry permit and was in India for 9 months from Feb - November. during this time i had several trips back to the US (4) and was actually using my friends mailing address, but we were living in india. should i put that address in the form where it asks for addresses where you have lived? or should i put the mailing address? any issues that might come?

I am applying for my citizenship. I had applied for a re-entry permit and was in India for 9 months from Feb - November. during this time i had several trips back to the US (4) and was actually using my friends mailing address, but we were living in india. should i put that address in the form where it asks for addresses where you have lived? or should i put the mailing address? any issues that might come?

Don't use your Indian address because USCIS can argfue that a PR is required by law to have a permanent address in USA. Using a freind's address is not that good either in strict sense -
you don't own taht house, neithe ryou rent it , do not pay utitlity of any kind, how can you
call that your home?

But in reality, no one want to spend a lot of money renting aan apartment simply for
teh purpose of having a home address.

So I think it is a dillemma. But I believe common practice is to just use your friend's
address. SO I think that is your choice. But in theory you run a risk -- what if
USCIS for whatever reasons want you to present evidence that you do have
a home in the USA?

You just said that you actually live in India and have for 9 months. You do not qualify for naturalization UNLESS you qualify under a special provision of the INA. However, you have not indicated that you do.

After to move back to the U.S. and re-establish residence in the U.S. and wait the required period of time (look at 8 CFR 316.5(c) all parts) then you can consider filing an N-400.

hi. i was not out of the country for more than 6 months at any point of time. i was making several trips back to the US for business. this was just an internal deputation from my company

hi. i was not out of the country for more than 6 months at any point of time. i was making several trips back to the US for business. this was just an internal deputation from my company

IF you are abroad on behalf of a U.S. employer and have a solid year inside the U.S. since getting LPR status, you would qualify to file an N-470 to preserve residence for naturalization purposes because the window of opportunity to apply stays open until you have been abroad for a solid year in such employ. An approved N-470 would be useful if you qualify. It does not relieve you of the physical presence requirement for an N-400 but does aid in preserving residence without requiring a specific waiting period before filing an N-400.

8 CFR § 316.5 Residence in the United States.

(a) General. Unless otherwise specified, for purposes of this chapter, including §316.2 (a)(3), (a)(5), and (a)(6), an alien's residence is the same as that alien's domicile, or principal actual dwelling place, without regard to the alien's intent, and the duration of an alien's residence in a particular location is measured from the moment the alien first establishes residence in that location.

(d) Application for benefits with respect to absences; appeal —(1) Preservation of residence under section 316(b) of the Act. (i) An application for the residence benefits under section 316(b) of the Act to cover an absence from the United States for a continuous period of one year or more shall be submitted to the Service on Form N–470 with the required fee, in accordance with the form's instructions. The application may be filed either before or after the applicant's employment commences, but must be filed before the applicant has been absent from the United States for a continuous period of one year.

(ii) An approval of Form N–470 under section 316(b) of the Act shall cover the spouse and dependent unmarried sons and daughters of the applicant who are residing abroad as members of the applicant's household during the period covered by the application. The notice of approval, Form N–472, shall identify the family members so covered.

(iii) An applicant whose Form N–470 application under section 316(b) of the Act has been approved, but who voluntarily claims nonresident alien status to qualify for special exemptions from income tax liability, raises a rebuttable presumption that the applicant has relinquished a claim of having retained lawful permanent resident status while abroad. The applicant's family members who were covered under section 316(b) of the Act and who were listed on the applicant's Form N–472 will also be subject to the rebuttable presumption that they have relinquished their claims to lawful permanent resident status.
(3) Approval, denial, and appeal. The applicant under paragraphs (d)(1) or (d)(2) of this section shall be notified of the Service's disposition of the application on Form N–472. If the application is denied, the Service shall specify the reasons for the denial, and shall inform the applicant of the right to appeal in accordance with the provisions of part 103 of this chapter.

re:

not sure if i am being clear.

i have been a resident since 2006. in 2009, i was in india on business but made trips to the US since i was employed in the US. this lasted for 9 months but i wasnt out of US for more than 6 months on any trip. its just that i decided to not keep an apartment here for the expense, so my question is what address to put (my mailing address or my india address).

i meet the residence test

not sure if i am being clear.

i have been a resident since 2006. in 2009, i was in india on business but made trips to the US since i was employed in the US. this lasted for 9 months but i wasnt out of US for more than 6 months on any trip. its just that i decided to not keep an apartment here for the expense, so my question is what address to put (my mailing address or my india address).

i meet the residence test

NO, you have actually relocated your primary address to another country and do not have a U.S. residence. You do not qualify to file for naturalization because you have relocated outside the U.S.

RESIDENCE is defined in the statute and regulation. Your residence is now in India and not the United States. The whole deal about the 6 months absence is for people who actually maintain their actual residence in the U.S.

You cannot just "put in your time in the U.S." and relocate to another country and still file for naturalization. You need to examine your possible eligibility for an N-470 IF you are abroad for work reasons on behalf of a U.S. employer.

re:

thanks. let me clarify. i have been back in the states after this temporary deputation. its been 18 months since that deputation ended. while i was in india, i was still paid by US, money deposited in US dollars and was employed by the same company that employs me currently in the same bank account and had a reentry permit filed, though never had to use it. all i did was not maintain an apartment since i had to travel so much between india and US (5 trips in 8-9 months). been back since dec 2009. resident since 2006. in india from feb 2009-nov2009 with 6 trips back to US

july 2006 - got green card
july 2006 - jan 2009 - in the US working with company A
feb 2009 - nov 2009 - working from the india office, however visiting back for business and clients, no trip for more than 6 months. everything same,taxes, salary, credit cards etc
dec 2009 - now - back to US with same company and living here since

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks. let me clarify. i have been back in the states after this temporary deputation. its been 18 months since that deputation ended. while i was in india, i was still paid by US, money deposited in US dollars and was employed by the same company that employs me currently in the same bank account and had a reentry permit filed, though never had to use it. all i did was not maintain an apartment since i had to travel so much between india and US (5 trips in 8-9 months). been back since dec 2009. resident since 2006. in india from feb 2009-nov2009 with 6 trips back to US

july 2006 - got green card
july 2006 - jan 2009 - in the US working with company A
feb 2009 - nov 2009 - working from the india office, however visiting back for business and clients, no trip for more than 6 months. everything same,taxes, salary, credit cards etc
dec 2009 - now - back to US with same company and living here since

You are right, you were not very clear. In your initial post you said you were "in India for 9 months from Feb - November." You further indicated that you had moved your primary residence there during that time with only visits back.

To prove that you did not disrupt "continuous residence" during that period, you need to address at least the items listed in the regulations at 8 CFR 316.5(c)(1(i)(A-D), look them up at www.uscis.gov on the laws tab. However keep in mind the actual definition of "residence" at 8 CFR 316.5(a). IF you cannot rebut the presumption of disruption THEN simply waiting would be a sure thing to get rid of any doubts and the need to prove anything to anyone.

re:

thanks!

i was not planning to provide any supporting documentation since the guide states to provide that only if the trips lasted more than 6 months outside the country. should i?