Well, I went to my Interview today...

Brenglen

Registered Users (C)
Okay so today was my interview and It was scheduled for 11:30am and so I appeared at 10:45am and waited til 12:30pm in which I was finally called up. I was quite nervous like everyone in this room but the Officer that interviewed me was quite a nice guy, he was friendly, he asked simple questons like how My step-father and my mother met, where my mother lives now, and ofcourse asked me questons that I answered on my forms I filed (just incase I answered something wrong).

So anyways, He then asked if I have any evidence showing that my step father and I relationship is real and I simply told him that I don't have anything to prove that, infact the only thing I have is everything that I submited when I filed in June. He asked if I have a Birth Certificate (Long Form) with my Parents names on it and I told him that I don't have one with my parents names on it but I do have Birth Cetificate Card (short form) and he was quite puzzled but then looked at it and didn't know what to say. He then looked over another sheet and he had a surprized look, he asked "Wait a minute, you used to have a Green Card?" and I told him I did from my mother's previous Marriage, and that we abanned it when my mother got a divorce a couple years later, THE OFFICER then said "well we can retrace everything submited back in 1996 from your mother's previous marriage and see what we come up with, I also say this, I have never heard of a Step-Parent sponsering his step-child with the Biological parent not in the same country, the step-child usually gets clearance when the parent is sponsered and granted perment residence".

The Officer then kept looking over papers, I didn't get a chance to explain my mother being Banned from the U.S. because of Old Mail in her car and that the Border thought that she lives in the U.S. illegal, I dunno if that would of helped my situation (as I think of it now). After 20 minutes, he then said that "You will receive a letter in the mail in 4-6 weeks, you will then get ether approval Letter or Request for more evidence (like maybe a letter from people that you know personally that knows your relationship is real), I will not denie you right now so just wait until you receive something in the mail" Does this still mean, I still have a chance of being denied or wouldn't he denie me right on the spot?

So I mean it was a good interview but yet I am still quite nervous on whats going to happen, I hope I get approved but yet after I walked out of the building, I kept questoning myself on what I should of done to have my interview go alot smoother and have the stamp of approval. I think I know one thing like someone said on this forum that I should of fought harder to find an american thats knows my step-father and I real well but knowing me, I took the advice from 1-800 number telling me that I DON'T need someone to write a letter...stupid me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are u a nut?

Brenglen said:
Okay so today was my interview and It was scheduled for 11:30am and so I appeared at 10:45am and waited til 12:30pm in which I was finally called up. I was quite nervous like everyone in this room but the Officer that interviewed me was quite a nice guy, he was friendly, he asked simple questons like how My step-father and my mother met, where my mother lives now, and ofcourse asked me questons that I answered on my forms I filed (just incase I answered something wrong).

So anyways, He then asked if I have any evidence showing that my step father and I relationship is real and I simply told him that I don't have anything to prove that, infact the only thing I have is everything that I submited when I filed in June. He asked if I have a Birth Certificate with my Parents names on it and I told him that I don't have one with my parents names on it but I do have Birth Cetificate Card and he was quite puzzled but then looked at it and didn't know what to say. He then looked over another sheet and he had a surprized look, he asked "Wait a minute, you used to have a Green Card?" and I told him I did from my mother's previous Marriage, and that we abanned it when my mother got a divorce a couple years later, he then said "well we can retrace everything submited back in 1996 from your mother's previous marriage and see what we come up with, I also say this, I have never heard of a Step-Parent sponsering his step-child with the Biological parent not in the same country, the step-child usually gets clearance when the parent is sponsered and granted perment residence".

The Officer then kept looking over papers, I didn't get a chance to explain my mother being Banned from the U.S. because of Old Mail in her car and that the Border thought that she lives in the U.S. illegal, I dunno if that would of helped my situation (as I think of it now). After 20 minutes, he then said that "You will receive a letter in the mail in 4-6 weeks, you will then get ether approval Letter or Request for more evidence (like maybe a letter from people that you know personally that knows your relationship is real), I will not denie you right now so just wait until you receive something in the mail.".

So I mean it was a good interview but yet I am still quite nervous on whats going to happen, I hope I get approved but yet after I walked out of the building, I kept questoning myself on what I should of done to have my interview go alot smoother and have the stamp of approval. I think I know one thing like someone said on this forum that I should of fought harder to find an american thats knows my step-father and I real well but knowing me, I took the advice from 1-800 number telling me that I DON'T need someone to write a letter...stupid me.

B,

I wished things could have gone better than it appears they went. However, I think your big mouth is to blame for this situation ending in the manner it did. I found this quote from your post very interesting:
"I also say this, I have never heard of a Step-Parent sponsering his step-child with the Biological parent not in the same country, the step-child usually gets clearance when the parent is sponsered and granted perment residence". :confused:

I wonder why you abandoned your greencard which was issued in the previous marriage. Once it was issued, if the marriage failed or succeeded become irrelevant. Unless you had to leave the country forever, because your mum didn't want to be in the US. For you, age would have dictated this decision, because as a child you couldn't live in the US by yourself. However, your situation on the previous GC isn't clear. :confused:

Al Southner said:
B,

I wished things could have gone better than it appears they went. However, I think your big mouth is to blame for this situation ending in the manner it did. I found this quote from your post very interesting:
"I also say this, I have never heard of a Step-Parent sponsering his step-child with the Biological parent not in the same country, the step-child usually gets clearance when the parent is sponsered and granted perment residence". :confused:

I wonder why you abandoned your greencard which was issued in the previous marriage. Once it was issued, if the marriage failed or succeeded become irrelevant. Unless you had to leave the country forever, because your mum didn't want to be in the US. For you, age would have dictated this decision, because as a child you couldn't live in the US by yourself. However, your situation on the previous GC isn't clear. :confused:

umm...well thanks for the response but I DIDNT SAY "I also say this, I have never heard of a Step-Parent sponsering his step-child with the Biological parent not in the same country, the step-child usually gets clearance when the parent is sponsered and granted perment residence" The Officer said that lol.

Also my mother left the country when she got a divorce in her previous marriage.

Brenglen,
I understand you on 100%. I am waiting myself for the letter from IO after I subbmitted additional evidence I didn't bring with me to interview.
Everything we can do now is to wait.
Good luck

polich said:
Brenglen,
I understand you on 100%. I am waiting myself for the letter from IO after I subbmitted additional evidence I didn't bring with me to interview.
Everything we can do now is to wait.
Good luck

ahh ic ic well they told me I gotta wait 4-6 weeks for a Letter in the mail in which would tell me that I am Approved or if I need to submit additional evidence in which I am afrad that I might not have that evidence they needed, I can't give them a Long form Canadian birth Cerfecate because in order to that, I would have to go back to Canada in toronto to purchise one and to get it...and I can't do that. I hope they will atleast give me the opition to have people that knows my Step-Father and I that they will be able to write a couple letters stating that the relationship is real.

Sadly like a few people on here, I haven't seen my family in almost a year and thats what hit me the most when I walked out of the building, i was frustarded nor upset but can't do anything until the letter comes in i guess.

Queston tho, if I do have to a RFE, would I just mail it and then the Green Card comes in the mail? or do I have a 2nd interview?

Well, I haven't seen my relatives 4.5 years. And it is hard.
I don't know about second interveiw for you.

polich said:
Well, I haven't seen my relatives 4.5 years. And it is hard.
I don't know about second interveiw for you.

Gee! well I feel bad and believe me I dunno how you get through it but im sure in the long run it will pay off.

so u dont think they will give a second interview? its ether approval in the mail or RFE and then approval?

more likely
About your birth certificate - can your mom help you to get it? or somebody else.
I think you need to get more cerious about RFE

polich said:
more likely
About your birth certificate - can your mom help you to get it? or somebody else.
I think you need to get more cerious about RFE

yeah I should worry about the RFE, anyways I guess ill try to the best that I can do to get a long from Birth Certificate cause in Canada to be able to get one fast you must go to Toronto to get it but to get one in general reasons, it may take up to 15 businness days to arrive on your doorstep.

so what 15 days is nothing if you start now. I would start NOW. Plus I think you normally can contact them over the phone and they would send you one. Don't know about Canada but where I from it works that way as well.

So as far as i can see you need proof that your relationship to your stepfather is real. well someone else must know you two, like a neighbour or maybe people that your dad works for. anything could help you so don't leave anything out. Maybe if you would tell us more about your life with your step dad we could more easily give you some tips and how to aquire proof.

Other than that you should be fine imo, if you get everything together, and trust more there are always ways to get what you want (like your long birth cert), you just have to be willing to put the work in

good luck

velli said:
so what 15 days is nothing if you start now. I would start NOW. Plus I think you normally can contact them over the phone and they would send you one. Don't know about Canada but where I from it works that way as well.

So as far as i can see you need proof that your relationship to your stepfather is real. well someone else must know you two, like a neighbour or maybe people that your dad works for. anything could help you so don't leave anything out. Maybe if you would tell us more about your life with your step dad we could more easily give you some tips and how to aquire proof.

Other than that you should be fine imo, if you get everything together, and trust more there are always ways to get what you want (like your long birth cert), you just have to be willing to put the work in

good luck

Well thank you for the response, Yes today I am going to file for a Birth Cert. I am just awaiting for an okay for a Co. Signer cause in Canada by law you must have a Doctor, Nurse or a Goverment profession so my Nurse has to contact me tonight.

Anyways, about the letter, does it have to be an American Citzen that writes the letter?

Okay so anyways about me, well iam 19 years old, I filed when I was 18 and my Mother (Biological Parent) lives in Canada currently cause a year ago my mother was crossing the border from Canada to the States to pickup her 2 year old son because he was visiting my step-father (who is his Biological father too) and well it was late at night and customs did a random search and found Old U.S. Mail in my mothers car and they suspected her being illegal and they didn't give her a fair trial and banned her for 5 years. Your probabily asking "Why didnt your mother file papers for you and herself when she got married to the American citizen"? well she did however while her papers were going through an attoney, she then crossed the border and gave up on her papers because she had family problems over home (Canada).

My mother decided to stay in Canada and wait until I graduated from High School and then re-file papers for Green Card (also money was tight). so when I was about to graduate, the border ban happened and thats what caused everything a stir.

So anyways 6 months later from the border ban of my mother, I asked my Step-Father to sponser me so I can go to school and go to work and he agreed so I did last May of 06' and now here we are now lol.

About if the person has to be a us citizen. I would say not necessarily, but he should be of legal status here in the US at least. It could definitely be another Green CArd holder.

But I also think it doesn't matter because he doesn't have to appear. It would just be a piece of paper stated how he knows you and describing your relationship to your step dad.

velli said:
About if the person has to be a us citizen. I would say not necessarily, but he should be of legal status here in the US at least. It could definitely be another Green CArd holder.

But I also think it doesn't matter because he doesn't have to appear. It would just be a piece of paper stated how he knows you and describing your relationship to your step dad.

ic ic well I didn't know cause I was gunna have my Grandparents who were at the Wedding to write something but I can always ask friends that are American and that knows my step father and I but how many people do I have to get to write it up?

please understand that there is no guarantee that it will help. I would maybe get a few letters but definitely not more than 5. You don't want to overdue it a seem desperate.

Just get some genuine people that know the two of you write about your relationship. Remember all you have to prove is that you have a relationship with your father, that you do things together occasionally. Like a father-son relationship is supposed to be, because USCIS doesn't just want to give you a green card based on that your mom married a guy who is american. You should be a integral part of the family as well

did you bring or do you have any photos of you and your step-dad? those would help! are you ordering your long birth certificate? I am from Canada and ordered a long form-it took about 1 month for me to get mine delivered to the states.they will deliver in about 2 weeks to any Canadian address. could you have it sent to someone in Canada and then have your relatives in Canada overnight it?

Brenglen said:
ahh ic ic well they told me I gotta wait 4-6 weeks for a Letter in the mail in which would tell me that I am Approved or if I need to submit additional evidence in which I am afrad that I might not have that evidence they needed, I can't give them a Long form Canadian birth Cerfecate because in order to that, I would have to go back to Canada in toronto to purchise one and to get it...and I can't do that. I hope they will atleast give me the opition to have people that knows my Step-Father and I that they will be able to write a couple letters stating that the relationship is real.

Sadly like a few people on here, I haven't seen my family in almost a year and thats what hit me the most when I walked out of the building, i was frustarded nor upset but can't do anything until the letter comes in i guess.

Queston tho, if I do have to a RFE, would I just mail it and then the Green Card comes in the mail? or do I have a 2nd interview?

Hi:

I am sorry to hear you were not approved, but you did not seem to present them with much evidence.

Get that BC ASAP. If it can be expedited, pay the fee. Have it delivered to a Canadian address if it speeds the process up and FEDEX it here. Then, get a couple of letters from USC/PR and I don't think a letter from your grandfather would hurt. You are trying to compile evidence to provide an overall picture at this point.

You cannot provide something you don't have ----- but you can do your best to provide what you can.

Brenglen said:

Hi:

I am sorry to hear you were not approved, but you did not seem to present them with much evidence.

Get that BC ASAP. If it can be expedited, pay the fee. Have it delivered to a Canadian address if it speeds the process up and FEDEX it here. Then, get a couple of letters from USC/PR and I don't think a letter from your grandfather would hurt. You are trying to compile evidence to provide an overall picture at this point.

You cannot provide something you don't have ----- but you can do your best to provide what you can.

USCIS seems to have a lot of faith in affidavits that are notarized. You should definitely consider atleast two affidavits from people who know your relationship with your stepdad along with photographs you might have. I wish you best of lucks.

Hey guys thanks for the replies.

Well I just filled out and paid for a Long form Birth Cerficate, yes it was $35.00 but I had to do it. I put down my Grandparent's Address (Canadian Address) so they can mail the BC there and they do say its Guarnteed in 15 days or your money back. However I am quite worried tho that I wasn't able to provide much information about my Biological Father, they asked for his Birth date and I didnt know, heck I asked my mother and all she could give me was where he was born, his first, middle and last name but couldn't remember his birth date so I had to leave it blank and hopefully that would be okay.

I also did bring some Pictures to the Interview (Wedding pictures and casual pics) but the Officer didn't care to see them.

Anyways I will have a few people write a letter stating evidence of my step-father and I's relationship. I am going to ask my Girlfriend's parents, who is American and that knows my step-father and I for almost 2 years. Ill also get my mom's friend who knows my step-father and I for many years, my grandparents and ill try to find anyone else that is avaiable that knows my step-father and I's relationship...could I have my mother write a letter too maybe?

Anyways all I can do now is wait for the Long Form BC and ofcourse wait until a decison in which will come in the mail by 4-6 Weeks. I believe they will probabily ask for RFE but if so ill have everything they need and ill ship it overnight but the officer did say I may get an approval if they find something from my past case but who knows.

thanks guys and i appreate the surport and the replies :).