We are stuck, Please help!!!

gsaykan

Good Morning Everyone,

I should start by saying thank you to every member as I have learned so much in the last couple of days in this forum. Now our application process which is not a process at all:

Applied August 2nd
FP done on Sept 13nd
Yellow Paper on Sept 29

and there it ends the allll communication. We have started getting antsy and calling the USCIS around January. They said all is fine, we should get something soon. Again in February my husband did a e-request, we heard nothing still to this day back. He called again once they said they could not see when he went for FP. Once they said all is fine again.

After all this I started searching online and found this forum. Thanks to you guys did a Info-Pass and he went this morning. They asked him if he went to his FP so my husband showed him the stamped paper. He then told him he called FBI and they received inquiry on the 13th of Sep and results were sent back same day. The USCIS employee prints something, puts it in an outgoing box next to his desk. Takes husbands paper and writes behind a date and tells him he sees that he is scheduled back for FB, he will get something in the mail.

So here is the big question, do we send letters to Senator, Congressman, the USCIS local office director now or wait another 2-3 months for the second FP goes through????

Has anyone gone through the second FP? How long did it take?

Thanks for reading and taking your time to respond...

Good Morning Everyone,

I should start by saying thank you to every member as I have learned so much in the last couple of days in this forum. Now our application process which is not a process at all:

Applied August 2nd
FP done on Sept 13nd
Yellow Paper on Sept 29

and there it ends the allll communication. We have started getting antsy and calling the USCIS around January. They said all is fine, we should get something soon. Again in February my husband did a e-request, we heard nothing still to this day back. He called again once they said they could not see when he went for FP. Once they said all is fine again.

After all this I started searching online and found this forum. Thanks to you guys did a Info-Pass and he went this morning. They asked him if he went to his FP so my husband showed him the stamped paper. He then told him he called FBI and they received inquiry on the 13th of Sep and results were sent back same day. The USCIS employee prints something, puts it in an outgoing box next to his desk. Takes husbands paper and writes behind a date and tells him he sees that he is scheduled back for FB, he will get something in the mail.

So here is the big question, do we send letters to Senator, Congressman, the USCIS local office director now or wait another 2-3 months for the second FP goes through????

Has anyone gone through the second FP? How long did it take?

Thanks for reading and taking your time to respond...

A second FP appointment is scheduled only in the following cases:

1) The fingerprints taken during the 1st FP appointment were of low quality and turned out to be unreadable.
2) More than a year passed since the 1st FP appointment and consequently the results of the fingerprint check have expired and a new fingerprint check is needed.

Based on your timeline, 2) definitely does not apply to your husband. It is possible that 1) applies and that his first FP results were unreadable. If that were the case, I would have expected the IO at the INFOPASS appointment to tell your husband so.

But it is also possible (and, IMO, more likely) that the FP results were fine and that your husband is, for the moment, stuck in the FBI Name Check. This is a separate background check from the fingerprint check. The FP check is usually done within a day and the results are sent back to the USCIS immediately. The FBI Name Check can take several months and, in some cases, longer. I was stuck in the FBI Name Check for over 2 years, although these days such long Name Check delays are uncommon.

It is possible for your husband to call the FBI directly and ask them about the results of his FP check (but not about the results of the Name Check - that info thet'll only give to the USCIS). The FBI phone number for that used to be 304-625-2000, although I am not sure if it is still valid.

I would also suggest that you contact your U.S. House of Representative member and/or a U.S. Senator for your state and ask them for help with the status of your case. USCIS provides much more substantive and honest answers in response to the congressional inquiries compared to the inquiries from the applicants themselves.

While you may regret the wasted time not contacting USCIS earlier, now that they have nudged the file just a wee bit, I would say wait for another couple of weeks before escalating. If they have taken note of the issue, they will probably act on it ... they may still mess it up, but give them some time now.

At this point, I think it will be easier to do a 2nd FP than try to fix your first FP. Just make sure you get the appointment ... if not chase it. After FP, chase its closure.

There are more possible reasons than just those 2 described so far.

Don't forget plain old human error---someone probably mad a typo in his A# or receipt # and the FBI response did not get associated with the right record. There are other ways to fix it that require more time and digging through various databases, but the quickest fix is what was done. The actual fingerprints are scanned and sent electronically and usually back very fast, just like they told you. This time let's hope it goes like it is suppossed to..WITH NO TYPOS!

There have been other instances of FPs being lost. There was a series of reports here about a year back in which one FP center lost over a week's data and were chasing everyone to redo it. But there processes were so horrible that rather than send out notices to people ... they were inviting them back when the people called. This was probably because they lost track of who came for FP and hence did not know who to contact.

Yes, it is also possible that there was some kind of a clerical/human error with the first FP results. But another possibility is that the IO at the INFOPASS was not sufficiently competent (unfortunately that happens all too often) and provided the OP's husband with incorrect and/or incomplete information. In particular, the absence of an explanation by the IO as to why the second FP appointment is necessary is rather puzzling. I would still suggest that the OP's husband does a request for a congressional inquiry now, at least to get a more complete (and possibly more correct) explanation of what really happened.

These offices are run by people. They make mistakes and have bad days like everyone.

Completely agree.
While the ability of CIS to give insight into the status or issues is universally bad, people do make mistakes.
And things usually get back on track if they press the right button to fix an issue.
You should give them a chance ... once they said FP letter is on the way, it probably is.