Was someone granted citizenship with prior petty theft offence? Can you pls share your experience?

venus23

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I wonder if someone on these forums was granted a citizenship with a previous record for a petty retail theft.

I would greatly appreciate if you would share your experience - how the interview went, did they ask you any embarrasing questions on the interview, or explanation and details of the incident, did you involve a lawyer, etc?

Thanks!

I think you need to get a lawyer to file the case or atleast get an advice. As far as the info regarding the prior approvals with minor offenses, there are lot of posts you can dig through.

By the way if you can give us the details like when it happened and what was the penalty etc some gurus might help

Here are the details:
Came as refugee in 1999, got a green card in 2001, however in the greed card it says permanent resident since 1999, and exparation date 2012. Incident happened in 2002, was fingerprinted, plead Not Guilty, was found guilty in District Court and was charged $150 fines (Summary Offence) ( the maximum charge for a summary offence for retail theft is $150).
What is my chance that i will not be granted citizenship. It happened 7 years ago and i do not have any other records before and after this accident.

Here are the details:
Came as refugee in 1999, got a green card in 2001, however in the greed card it says permanent resident since 1999, and exparation date 2012. Incident happened in 2002, was fingerprinted, plead Not Guilty, was found guilty in District Court and was charged $150 fines (Summary Offence) ( the maximum charge for a summary offence for retail theft is $150).
What is my chance that i will not be granted citizenship. It happened 7 years ago and i do not have any other records before and after this accident.

Since your conviction occurred outside statutory period, it won't be used for determination of good moral character , unless you have other serious offenses in your history.

I do not have any other convictions and never had. So do you think that they will not even ask to explain the details?
Should i write up an explanation letter or just keep quite and attach just court disposition?

I do not have any other convictions and never had. So do you think that they will not even ask to explain the details?
Should i write up an explanation letter or just keep quite and attach just court disposition?

any update on your case? Did you attach an explanation letter or just the disposition and arrest record? Would really appreciate your reply