was on J1/out of status/can I apply now?

okili

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone,
maybe this will sound stupid to you all but still i am concerned.
Last year 2005 I was in US on work&travel program (j-1) and got my visa for 4+1 month (grace period).
I was very unhappy with my employer and after 2.5 months working for them I simply never showed up for work.
Prior to that, I was like regular guest in HR office asking what can I do to change my employer etc. And called my sponsor officer, asking can I quite my job .... got the same answer NO, or you have to go back to your homecountry at once.
Then one of my friends there (also j-1) got fired and the same person sponsor officer told him that he can look for another job etc. everything OK..
After that I was determined to just leave and go to my relatives in US, and try to find work for that period. So i did. Worked in supermarket without any problems. Stopped working after my expiration date on ds form. And then returned home (within month grace period).
No one told me in my agency that I could suffer some consequences, but only when I came home I found out that if I am out of status this will affect me in future.
Since I have a plan, for 5b4 next year, to go to US again, on H2B visa or just B visa, I'll try even DV2008 lottery .... what can I expect in the embassy on the interview?
I know some checking is in order but ... am I going to be rejected?
Please answer me, I am really worried....
tnx in advance

okili said:
Hello everyone,
maybe this will sound stupid to you all but still i am concerned.
Last year 2005 I was in US on work&travel program (j-1) and got my visa for 4+1 month (grace period).
I was very unhappy with my employer and after 2.5 months working for them I simply never showed up for work.
Prior to that, I was like regular guest in HR office asking what can I do to change my employer etc. And called my sponsor officer, asking can I quite my job .... got the same answer NO, or you have to go back to your homecountry at once.
Then one of my friends there (also j-1) got fired and the same person sponsor officer told him that he can look for another job etc. everything OK..

Your sponsor told you no, and told yes to your friend, perhaps you could have tried to get more info instead of choosing the answer that was the best fit to your needs...

After that I was determined to just leave and go to my relatives in US, and try to find work for that period. So i did. Worked in supermarket without any problems.

What about taxes? Did you file in the US? If not, you may owe money to the IRS and they'll catch you soon or later.

Stopped working after my expiration date on ds form. And then returned home (within month grace period).
No one told me in my agency that I could suffer some consequences,

Well, your sponsor told you that you couldn't do that... Please don't blame the agency.

but only when I came home I found out that if I am out of status this will affect me in future.
Since I have a plan, for 5b4 next year, to go to US again, on H2B visa or just B visa, I'll try even DV2008 lottery .... what can I expect in the embassy on the interview?

A lot of problems.

I know some checking is in order but ... am I going to be rejected?

I think you can answer this question....

Please answer me, I am really worried....
tnx in advance

You need to understand that there are rules and you cannot do whatever you want and get away with it by pretending that you didn't know. It will be difficult to convince the authorities that you didn't know that you had to pay tax and that what you were doing was illegal...

Please take your responsibilities and learn from your mistakes.

I am sorry but you are in pretty bad shape. You definitely need a lawyer to see what your options are.

Hi,
first thanx for replying and your opinion.
I did pay my taxes every time on every paycheck I received. Both in that first job (factory) and the second one (supermarket)
And I stoped working on the day before the date on my ds form.
I just want to know, is there going to be impossible for me to ever get any type of US visa soon or ever, for that matter.
Someone told me that if the agency didnt report to USCIS my removal from the program/status it is possible that I wont get in big trouble.
And, when I have the interview in embassy, are they actually checking every single person on every database in US?
Thanx fo any opinion you might have.
PS. It was not my intention to "play smart" and avoid my obligations back then, simply I had no way out. I was constantly asking, writing emails, simply no one cared.
tnx anyway

Maybe I`m too late with posting for okili, but maybe someone will find helpfull this ...
Last year 2 of my friends were in the same situation, they left the main job after a month, and had worked `till the end of their program in another place. A month ago one of them got the Work&Travel J1 visa again without problems. My opinion that it's true what you`ve said about reporting to the USCIS.

Someone told me that if the agency didnt report to USCIS my removal from the program/status it is possible that I wont get in big trouble.

Good luck 2 you all!

Maybe I`m too late with posting for okili, but maybe someone will find helpfull this ...
Last year 2 of my friends were in the same situation, they left the main job after a month, and had worked `till the end of their program in another place. A month ago one of them got the Work&Travel J1 visa again without problems. My opinion that it's true what you`ve said about reporting to the USCIS.

Good luck 2 you all!

For sure it depends on reporting you to the USCIS or not by your program.