Waiting to start PR process !! Please help !!

amit77

To everyone on the forum:

I am on H1-B visa in US. I am planning to start the Canadian PR process later this year.

1) Can someone tell me if part-time work in my field of profession(I worked as part-time analyst during my graduate studies) is also counted for claiming points ?

2) Also, after applying for PR, I will have to go back to India for personal reasons, till I get the actual PR in my hand. Do I need to inform the CIC if I go back ? I heard they are not transferring cases anymore. Also if they call me for interview, I can come back later on tourist visa. So ,will it harm if I inform them when I leave ? Will my case be considered "stronger" if I maintain H1 visa status in USA instead of going back to India after applying ?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

-Amit.

Hello,
You can claim points for part-time employment as long as the job has a corresponding NOC (it is a type of job classification). The way they arrive at the number of years of work experience in your case-you can refer to the application/guide itself for more information.

You can apply in Buffalo, if you have been admitted for a period of 1 year or more in the US. The way I read it is, if you apply, say tomorrow, your I-94 should say that you can stay in the US till July 04. Probably others have differing opinions on this. Please do check with others on this board.

Good Luck

Thanks CanI,
I have one more question:

My elder brother has been approved for PR and plans to land as Canadian permanent resident sometime later in 2003. Do I have to wait for him to land first in order to apply and claim the 5 points ? Does he need to physically reside in Canada at the time of my application or could I simply show his passport copy and other documents as proof ?

Please advise.
Thank you very much in advance,

-Amit

My elder brother has been approved for PR and plans to land as Canadian permanent resident sometime later in 2003. Do I have to wait for him to land first in order to apply and claim the 5 points?
-- ----Yes
Does he need to physically reside in Canada at the time of my application or could I simply show his passport copy and other documents as proof ?
--- He should be in Canada but I don’t think it will matter because you can show his Landing documents and one can be away from Canada2/5 rule
Better you send your application once your brother lands in Canada, gets SIN, opens Bank account, PR Card and you will qualify for 5 points