Waiting for supervisor approval

manishvora_99

Registered Users (C)
Folks,

We called USCIS - they confirmed that the IO has approved our (mine and wife) N-400 applications, but is waiting from approval from his supervisor before the oath letter can go out. It could take up to 90 - 120 days. Never heard of this before ...

Any idea of how long this "supervisory approval" takes?

Folks,

We called USCIS - they confirmed that the IO has approved our (mine and wife) N-400 applications, but is waiting from approval from his supervisor before the oath letter can go out. It could take up to 90 - 120 days. Never heard of this before ...

Any idea of how long this "supervisory approval" takes?

Every application has to get approval from supervisor after the IO recommended for approval. So you will receive your oath letter in a timeline similar to others

Every application has to get approval from supervisor after the IO recommended for approval. So you will receive your oath letter in a timeline similar to others

And even "waiting" is normal. If the case parameters fit the N400 requirements perfectly, it is just a rubber-stamp. However, if there were any discussion items, I would not be surprised if IOs bunched such cases and reviewed with supervisors or peers on a weekly basis.

. It could take up to 90 - 120 days. Never heard of this before ...

By law, USCIS has up to 120 days after interview to adjudicate your application. However, most of the time it takes less than that. Be patient, you'll get your decision sooner than you think.

Similar situation here: The last I found out from an Infopass for my case was that my application was awaiting supervisory approval. It has been close to 2 1/2 months now, I was interviewed in Jan. Still waiting.

I find it strange that a mere "supervisory approval" should take 90 days - 120 days, while other cases get approved on the same day of the interview. Can I call the IO who took the interview to find out?

I find it strange that a mere "supervisory approval" should take 90 days - 120 days, while other cases get approved on the same day of the interview. Can I call the IO who took the interview to find out?
It depends on supervisor caseload. Some DO supervisors have more pending cases than other DO due to volume. Give it at least 1 months after interview before you start calling IO if you haven't received decision by then.

I'm waiting for 100 days since the interview. They of course are doing some background check. All the lawyers recommended that I should wait 6 months before filing WOM (1447b) as it will cost $5000-6000 and we should give more time to USCIS. You can't call the IO and I tried 3 times so far with Infopass but they won't let you talk to the person who has your case.

gcdetails;2170989. said:
You can't call the IO .
Some IOs leave their number on the interview letter in case applicant wants to reach them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My view is to take things easy and let them take as much time as they like. My biggest fear is that they might send me something, and for some reason I don't receive the mail. Which is why I call once every two weeks or so, and did one Infopass (I will not do another, waste of time, as even at the Infopass the guy just looked up the computer which is what they do over the phone). I don't have the direct phone number of the officer, quite frankly I would rather not even talk to such a person given my experience at the interview.

There isn't really much of a difference (other than the vote) between citizenship and green card - just wait and let things take as long as they want to. There is little point in spending money on lawyers. One day they have to respond, it may take six months, but someday they will. Of course, gcdetails's case is different, his wife needs to be naturalized to take up a new job that is only open to citizens - and unless you are in that sort of a boat, just forget about it and relax. Maybe because I am older I am more patient, but that is my view.

There isn't really much of a difference (other than the vote) between citizenship and green card

The difference is that you do not need to keep a traffic ticket payment receit if you are a citizen. Other this keep list
include old tax return, utility bills etc. One should not drink and drive. But when on borderline, one feel much easy
being a citizen drivving home from a party. etc.

Also when you travel abroad, if you lose your GC, it will take much bigger effort to come back to USA than a citizen who lsoe his passport abroad.

So being a citizen can make you have the peace of mind if you think about it

It is not that it always takes 120 days, but it gives them cover and avoid excessive inquiries if it indeed takes that long.
As Bob said, give it a month. Things might happen faster.