Waiting for I-751 Approval

Mrs. Sparks

Registered Users (C)
We have been married 4 years and applied to have the conditions removed from my green card. My husband is a US citizen. I am still waiting for a response to my I-751 application. I got a one years extension on my green card, which is now due to expire on January 26th, 2005. Since Texas is so behind on processing applications, what happens when the expiration date comes up? Do I have to re-apply? I called the 1-800 number and she said that I would need to apply to my local INS office for another interview. We have already been through the interview process twice and now we are merely waiting for the conditions to be removed. Will they send me another extension letter? Can I request one? Our "local" office is a 6 hour drive away in Jacksonville, FL. Not exactly local when we live in Pensacola.
I just want to get on with my life and this process is never ending. The US CIS website say they are still processing applications from October 2003. I am worried about what to do next when my card expires. :confused:

Any advise is appreciated. Thank you.

I Finally Got Approved

Well, after worrying for so long, I finally received my approval letter, I-797
Yeh :)
So I now have to go to Jacksonville and get my passport stamped. Then just wait for the green card to be mailed. Jacksonville is our "local" office, which is a good 5 to 6 hours drive away. Not exactly local! But thank god it will be the last time. Until I want to get citizenship, but I think I can do that here in Pensacola.
The whole process has been long and worrysome. My husband doesn't seem to worry as he knew we would be okay, but it has made me uneasy. I've had some crappy experiences coming through customs and immigration and have been hassled a few times. Taking time off work to drive to Jacksonville for me to give them photos and for them to stamp my passport seems just one more hoop to jump through. All part of the process though and I am so relieved. Phew!

Good luck. Seem you are doing fine. How's the whole porcess with removing the condition? As a matter of fact I havent read any posts about removing of conditions. I am not to that point yet but would like to be aware of that for future when the time comes. Like I know you should send 751 90 days before the expiration of the conditional GC. Do you actually undergo another interview or they just send you a new GC?
Sharing your experince after getting cond GC would be greatly appreciated! Tahnks and good luck again

Removal of Conditions

To remove the conditions you have to apply at least 90 days before it expires. You send by mail proof that you are in a valid marriage. For instance, joint credit card bills, utility bills showing both names, insurance policies in both names, car titles, mortgages, leases together. In fact anything and everything that proves that you do things together and share the bills in the household. Proof that you own assets together like houses and cars. Also you need at least 2 letters of affadavit from people that have known you as a couple for at least 2 years, verifying that you are in a true marriage. Go the govt web site to down loadload the I-751 form at http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm It tells you everything that is required. I received a letter to show proof that it was being processed; however, the process took from applying to receiving confirmation was one year. I applied 90 days in advance and received a years extension. I now need to get my passport stamped and wait for the GC to be mailed. If you show proof that you share joint responsibility for bills and stuff you should be okay. I sent copies of our passports and drivers license to show that I took his name and that we have the same address. I also sent wedding photos. Probably overkill but they I needed as much evidence as possible. His mom wrote a beautiful letter swearing that we were a wonderful couple. Who knows how much is too much and how much is not enough? They don't need to interview you again as long as you can prove you are functioning in a true marriage. My husband was so p***ed off with this whole process as he felt it was violating his rights as an American to have his private life invaded. I told him "honey, I'm not American, I'm an alien. I have no rights!" I told him to jump through the hoops and stay cool. He seemed to think that being a Brit I should have been treated differently. But no, all aliens go through the same scrutiny. You just need patience, trust and hope. There is light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck

Thank you Mrs. Sparks. Basicly it's sending the same and even more evidences for true marriage. We have similar problem. My husband also thinks that this whole process is rediculous and nobody has right to ask us to reveal personal information. " Nobody can take you away from me". I agree to some point, If it wasnt all that fake bargain marriages it would have been a lot easier. Thank you again and crossing fingers.

Speed up I-751

If you have waited 2 years and 9 months after receiving conditional residence the best way to speed up the process to remove conditions is to -APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP.

subra61,
how will applying for citizenship speed up the removal of condition ie approval of I-751 ??

Speeding up removal of conditions

If you have a conditional green card through a US citizen, you are eligible to appy for naturalization- N-400 after 3 years minus 90 days even if your application for removal of condition has not been approved- usually takes more than 3 to 4 years in some places for removing conditions. When they start processing your citizenship application they will usually (have to) remove conditions before approving N-400. i HAVE HAD FRIENDS WHO APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP AND HAVE HAD THEIR CONDITIONS REMOVED AND RECEIVED THE PLASTIC PERMANENT CARD IN A few weeks.

subra61,
a) I-751 gets approved in less 3 months in Vermont. Gone are the days of 3-4 yrs waiting for approval.

b) One is eligible to file the N400 even if the I751 is pending.. The N400 interview will not get approved though till I-751. And the N400 dept doesnt exercise any pressure on the rest of INS ie the dept approving the I751 to approve it asap... so basically N400 will wait till I751 gets approved.

There are multiple cases of that on the forums..

SWaiting said:
subra61,
a) I-751 gets approved in less 3 months in Vermont. Gone are the days of 3-4 yrs waiting for approval.

b) One is eligible to file the N400 even if the I751 is pending.. The N400 interview will not get approved though till I-751. And the N400 dept doesnt exercise any pressure on the rest of INS ie the dept approving the I751 to approve it asap... so basically N400 will wait till I751 gets approved.

There are multiple cases of that on the forums..

Sorry about the wrong info...am in Portland OR, had a friend who has bee waiting for nearly 3 years here for removing conditions...aplied for N-400 and in 2 weeks got his conditions removed...probably an isolated case

subra61 said:
If you have waited 2 years and 9 months after receiving conditional residence the best way to speed up the process to remove conditions is to -APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP.

I just received mine so I'm okay now. However I went to the USCIS web site to see about an application for Naturalization and the requirements stated that:

quote "has resided continuously as a lawful permanent resident in the U.S. for at least 5 years prior to filing with no single absence from the United States of more than one year"

So if I have just received confirmation that the conditions have been removed after less than 3 years, how can I apply for citizenship? The requirements state that I need 5 years prior to filing. Are you sure???

Mrs Sparks,
read the document more carefully. subra61 is right. As a wife of USC, you are eligible to file after 2yrs 9 months of receiving the conditional GC...

How long is it before I can apply for citizenship?

I went back to the USCIS web site and looked at every piece of information rearding eligibility. I disagree with you. Sorry. So if I am wrong please tell me how you know and where it states that I can apply before 5 years. Are you saying that as it takes so long to process that I should apply now and by the time it gets to my application I will have been here 5 years? The web site I looked at is the official government web site. It used to be the INS but changed to CIS. So I'm sure the information is totally correct. The only other way to speed it up is if my husband is in the military and then I could apply at 3 years. But he's not so I have to wait 5.

download the N400 instructions from
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/n-400.htm..

It says clearly on 1st page that
"If you are applying based on 5 years as a Lawful
Permanent Resident or based on 3 years as a Lawful
Permanent Resident married to a U.S. citizen, you may
apply for naturalization up to 90 days before you meet
the ''continuous residence'' requirement. "

Hey well thanks for that link. I found all the information that I need. That web site has way too much information and you have to know what you are looking for. Thanks again subra61 and SWaiting I'm good to go now.

Mrs. Sparks said:
Well, after worrying for so long, I finally received my approval letter, I-797
Yeh :)
So I now have to go to Jacksonville and get my passport stamped. Then just wait for the green card to be mailed. Jacksonville is our "local" office, which is a good 5 to 6 hours drive away. Not exactly local! But thank god it will be the last time. Until I want to get citizenship, but I think I can do that here in Pensacola.
The whole process has been long and worrysome. My husband doesn't seem to worry as he knew we would be okay, but it has made me uneasy. I've had some crappy experiences coming through customs and immigration and have been hassled a few times. Taking time off work to drive to Jacksonville for me to give them photos and for them to stamp my passport seems just one more hoop to jump through. All part of the process though and I am so relieved. Phew!
hello there,can u please post me ur timeline and the documents or proof of real marriage u submitted for the removal of condition on ur GREEN CARD?

I recently submitted my I-751 form. The day of my first interview I cleraly remeber and I it was even written down on a piece of paper by the intervier: You have to submit the form I-751 to remove conditiond 90 days before nov06, a year later you may submit an applicaton for citizenship. I have not checked online, but that is what I was told.

I am also waiting for I751 approval. Filled late May 05. Was asked for passport photos and sent them in Feb 06. Called USCIS and they still have no response. Processing Center is California. Any ideas????

SWaiting said:
download the N400 instructions from
http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/n-400.htm..

It says clearly on 1st page that
"If you are applying based on 5 years as a Lawful
Permanent Resident or based on 3 years as a Lawful
Permanent Resident married to a U.S. citizen, you may
apply for naturalization up to 90 days before you meet
the ''continuous residence'' requirement. "

Doesnt that mean that u can only apply after 3 years of getting the "Permanent Resident" status....ie 3 years after the condition on ur GC is removed?