Waiting for I-751 Approval

tapskap said:
Doesnt that mean that u can only apply after 3 years of getting the "Permanent Resident" status....ie 3 years after the condition on ur GC is removed?

No, you don’t have to wait for that long.
You’ll be granted “permanent resident” status on the day your I-485 is approved.
Will you become conditional or non-conditional resident – doesn’t matter. Your downcount to the citizenship will start on the day printed on your GC.
It’s 2 yrs and 9 months regardless of your GC expiration date (as long as you are still married to your US citizen spouse who sponsored your GC).

Jane Green said:
No, you don’t have to wait for that long.
You’ll be granted “permanent resident” status on the day your I-485 is approved.
Will you become conditional or non-conditional resident – doesn’t matter. Your downcount to the citizenship will start on the day printed on your GC.
It’s 2 yrs and 9 months regardless of your GC expiration date (as long as you are still married to your US citizen spouse who sponsored your GC).

Thats gr8....Thanks for that info...Long way to go though.... :rolleyes:

Jenny54 said:
I am also waiting for I751 approval. Filled late May 05. Was asked for passport photos and sent them in Feb 06. Called USCIS and they still have no response. Processing Center is California. Any ideas????

Hi Jenny54, I'm in a same boat as you are. Filed to remove conditions in June, got 1-757 with July 1 priority date, and then silence... California Service Center is now looking at applications that has been filed in October, I still haven't received jack shit. Called them 3 times - nothing... They didn't even ask me about any photographs or RFE... June 1st the extension for my green will expire. I just don't know what to do, so freaking frustrated.

Dani it is frustrating.... Anyways, I will keep you updated and if anything happens i'll let you know. If you hear from them or have any news please let me know... By the way, which nationality are you?

Jenny54 said:
Dani it is frustrating.... Anyways, I will keep you updated and if anything happens i'll let you know. If you hear from them or have any news please let me know... By the way, which nationality are you?

Jenny, please do keep the update :) About my news - there are none really. May 16 I'll be eligible to file N-400, I already got all my staff together. The representative of USCIS told me when I called to sit still and wait till may 17, then if nothing received, I shall call 'em again. About nationality — I am from Russia :)

Hello Guys,

I already have a green card which is Permanent Resident Card. I'm very confused the different between the two (Unconditional Permanent Resident and Permanent Resident Card) How can you tell if your card is Permanent Resident Card not Unconditional Permanent Resident?

Mine it says Permanent Resident Card, but I'm not still satisfied what I see in my eyes but I just wanna make sure that everything is right. My card is going to expire this coming year of 07. My permanent card is only good for 2 years but they said that your card is the only one is going to expired not your status as a Permanent Resident. I'm going to renew mine within 90 days of my card expiration date.

And also they said that I have to wait the date on my card which is the date I become a Permanent Resident which is I guess I have to wait 3 years before I can file for US Citizenship. Because I'm married to a US Citizen I have to wait 3 years only or so. I've been searching and worrying about my status all the time if everything is right. I hope I'm not wrong. I read all the papers I received from the INS over and over again make sure that I didn't miss anything at all. I'm so glad I found this website. I'm very thankful because if I have some questions I have a place to ask my questions. Sorry for my long post.

pprcp said:
Hello Guys,

I already have a green card which is Permanent Resident Card. I'm very confused the different between the two (Unconditional Permanent Resident and Permanent Resident Card) How can you tell if your card is Permanent Resident Card not Unconditional Permanent Resident?

Mine it says Permanent Resident Card, but I'm not still satisfied what I see in my eyes but I just wanna make sure that everything is right. My card is going to expire this coming year of 07. My permanent card is only good for 2 years but they said that your card is the only one is going to expired not your status as a Permanent Resident. I'm going to renew mine within 90 days of my card expiration date.

And also they said that I have to wait the date on my card which is the date I become a Permanent Resident which is I guess I have to wait 3 years before I can file for US Citizenship. Because I'm married to a US Citizen I have to wait 3 years only or so. I've been searching and worrying about my status all the time if everything is right. I hope I'm not wrong. I read all the papers I received from the INS over and over again make sure that I didn't miss anything at all. I'm so glad I found this website. I'm very thankful because if I have some questions I have a place to ask my questions. Sorry for my long post.

Oh, boy…
Unconditional Permanent Resident and Permanent Resident Card is the same thing.
What you have in your wallet is a Conditional Permanent Resident Card since the expiration day is in two years.
That’s how you can tell them apart – conditional expires in 2 yrs and unconditional – after 10.
You cannot renew your conditional GC after it expires. You have to file to remove those conditions. Read more about it here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm
You are right about one thing – you status as LPR does not expire in 2 years only your card does, but, as I said – you cannot renew your card, you have to lift those conditions and they will issue you new 10-yrs GC. You might even be called for the interview once again.
For the naturalization – your time (3 years) already stated on a day your GC was issued.
Hope I answered your questions.
Good luck!

Jane Green said:
Oh, boy…
Unconditional Permanent Resident and Permanent Resident Card is the same thing.
What you have in your wallet is a Conditional Permanent Resident Card since the expiration day is in two years.
That’s how you can tell them apart – conditional expires in 2 yrs and unconditional – after 10.
You cannot renew your conditional GC after it expires. You have to file to remove those conditions. Read more about it here: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm
You are right about one thing – you status as LPR does not expire in 2 years only your card does, but, as I said – you cannot renew your card, you have to lift those conditions and they will issue you new 10-yrs GC. You might even be called for the interview once again.
For the naturalization – your time (3 years) already stated on a day your GC was issued.
Hope I answered your questions.
Good luck!

I confirm!

Jenny54 said:

hi Jenny,

I wonder if you use your husband's last name on your green card, and as well as on your passport?

if not, would it be a matter?