Waiting Asylum decision

I want to share this info with others.
My brother applied for asylum in 2012 then interviewed within 2 months and got approved in 2015 after he did everything possible to move his case. At that time in 2012 the situation was different and waiting 3 years for a decision was a long time and unusual as we know.

Recently he filed a FOIA request to take a look at his file before he submitting his citizenship application after a few months from now.
He found out from his FOIA request some notes from the asylum officer who interviewed him says that his case got assigned for approval two weeks after his interview in 2012 then they put his file and held it under CARRP for over 3 years.

I personally applied for asylum in 2015 and interviewed in 2019 and still waiting for a decision. My case is pending for over 5 years so far.
They blocked a lot of info from my FOIA request, and I couldn't tell if my file also held under CARRP like my brother or not.
Do you think my case also held under CARRP, if so what I can do to fix this problem?

You can read the details about CARRP and the lawsuit at https://www.aclusocal.org/CARRP/
Or watch the video.

They blocked a lot of info from my FOIA request, and I couldn't tell if my file also held under CARRP like my brother or not.
Do you think my case also held under CARRP, if so what I can do to fix this problem?
But did you get any information if your case preliminarily approved or not?

Last edited:
My brother applied for asylum in 2012 then interviewed within 2 months and got approved in 2015 after he did everything possible to move his case. At that time in 2012 the situation was different and waiting 3 years for a decision was a long time and unusual as we know.

Recently he filed a FOIA request to take a look at his file before he submitting his citizenship application after a few months from now.
He found out from his FOIA request some notes from the asylum officer who interviewed him says that his case got assigned for approval two weeks after his interview in 2012 then they put his file and held it under CARRP for over 3 years.

I personally applied for asylum in 2015 and interviewed in 2019 and still waiting for a decision. My case is pending for over 5 years so far.

You can read the details about CARRP and the lawsuit at https://www.aclusocal.org/CARRP/
Or watch the video.

Which office did you apply?

Or watch the video.
Please how can I file and FOIA request? Which agency do I use

Congratulations
Thank you, it's not final approval. It's just the opinion of the officer who interviews me. The officer's supervisor is going to recheck the case again, and he/she maybe agree or disagree with the interviewing officer. So you can say it's maybe 50% to 60% approval but the problem I don't know when I will get it. Maybe after another 5 years :(

Please how can I file and FOIA request? Which agency do I use
Go to the USCIS website and you will find the application and the instruction there. It will take around 3 months to get the records.

Even though I don't think there is clear evidence of that and I could be wrong, but I think if someone submits a request for FOIA while he/she has a pending asylum application it may delay their Asylum case. Because that may pull your file out of the line to be sent to the FOIA office and may take months till the asylum office get the file back.
I'm not sure about that. I said maybe and you need to ask a lawyer about that.

Thank you, it's not final approval. It's just the opinion of the officer who interviews me. The officer's supervisor is going to recheck the case again, and he/she maybe agree or disagree with the interviewing officer. So you can say it's maybe 50% to 60% approval but the problem I don't know when I will get it. Maybe after another 5 years :(

What is the maximum time to get our decision?

Go to the USCIS website and you will find the application and the instruction there. It will take around 3 months to get the records.

Even though I don't think there is clear evidence of that and I could be wrong, but I think if someone submits a request for FOIA while he/she has a pending asylum application it may delay their Asylum case. Because that may pull your file out of the line to be sent to the FOIA office and may take months till the asylum office get the file back.
I'm not sure about that. I said maybe and you need to ask a lawyer about that.
Thanks a lot!

Yes only waiting, nobody writes about recent interviews or decisions. Does it mean something is changing in the USCIS?
I had my interview this week in Chicago. It lasted about 1.5 hours without an interpreter. The officer was nice.
The asylum office is almost empty. They are working at reduced capacity. Only a handful of staff present.
They no longer allow you to bring an interpreter. The asylum office has interpreters who connect via phone. The officer and your attorney sit in different rooms than you and you all connect to a video call via iPads.

I had my interview this week in Chicago. It lasted about 1.5 hours without an interpreter. The officer was nice.
The asylum office is almost empty. They are working at reduced capacity. Only a handful of staff present.
They no longer allow you to bring an interpreter. The asylum office has interpreters who connect via phone. The officer and your attorney sit in different rooms than you and you all connect to a video call via iPads.
Happy it went well for you bro, the expedited did work