Waiting Asylum decision

Do NOT lose your sleep over the online case status "Decision was Mailed".

Usually, a NOT approved case (referral/noid) would display the case status like this. However, showing this Case History when your status turned to "Decision was Mailed" does NOT necessarily mean your case is not approved.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    155.8 KB · Views: 161
Do NOT lose your sleep over the online case status "Decision was Mailed".

Usually, a NOT approved case (referral/noid) would display the case status like this. However, showing this Case History when your status turned to "Decision was Mailed" does NOT necessarily mean your case is not approved.
Which office is this?
Did you contact the asylum office to get an interview?

Usually, on the day when it turns to Decision was Mailed, an approved case would display something in the Case History such as "We ordered your new card" , "The fingerprints relating to your Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization, were taken", or "We received your case and waived the filing fee for your Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization",

beneath

"We reached a decision in your case. You should expect to receive the decision in the mail shortly. " and "You completed your interview with USCIS".

The reason is that the system automatically order your a5 EAD when the asylum office person updates your case in their system to indicate your approval letter being mailed.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    59.8 KB · Views: 148
For some approved cases however, for unknown reasons the Case History displays only "You completed your interview with USCIS" since the day that the status turns to Decision was Mailed, just like a not approved case (referral/noid). This display lasts for several days (usually one or two or more), and would then turn to something else regarding EAD.

So do not worry about the online status too much if you did not see anything about EAD on your case decision day.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    33.8 KB · Views: 109
Which office is this?
Did you contact the asylum office to get an interview?
I know you are considering to expedite interview. As far as I know, the asylum offices have not yet finished interviewing those "Being Rescheduled" cases (originally scheduled for between Mar 17 to mid April, 2020). I guess they need at least two more months from now to finish those cases before they can schedule other cases (newly submitted cases after reopen and order unscheduled cases). The chance to successfully expedite "Next Step is an Interview" cases is not big for now.

I know you are considering to expedite interview. As far as I know, the asylum offices have not yet finished interviewing those "Being Rescheduled" cases (originally scheduled for between Mar 17 to mid April, 2020). I guess they need at least two more months from now to finish those cases before they can schedule other cases (newly submitted cases after reopen and order unscheduled cases). The chance to successfully expedite "Next Step is an Interview" cases is not big for now.
I applied in late Feb 2020 so I think I can get an interview because there aren't that many people in front of me. I believe the AO is mostly focusing on scheduling interviews for the ol applicants now

I applied in late Feb 2020 so I think I can get an interview because there aren't that many people in front of me. I believe the AO is mostly focusing on scheduling interviews for the ol applicants now
What does ol applicant mean? I hope you would be scheduled soon. The adjudications are now prioritizing very old decision pending cases and recently interviewed cases. The interview is still stuck with those Being Rescheduled cases.

Also all day when i have login it says case status unavailable .....anyone having same message? i pray they are scheduling my interview

For now, "Decision was Mailed" and "New Card being Produced" updates usually happen early morning around 9 am EST.
Other a5 EAD updates such as "Finger Prints were Taken" and "Fees were Waived" could happen anytime, usually around midnight EST.

P.S.
I noticed that there were approved cases, on the "Decision Was Mailed" day, sending the following email notification (need to set E-MAIL ALERTS ON in advance on the "my cases" page).
I am not sure if "formal decision (approved/denied)" would also appear in the email if the decision was NOID or referral. Please provide information if you see such cases.
Title: Case Status Information for Receipt Number: ZXXxxxxxxxxxx
Content:
*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

There has been a recent processing action taken on your case.

Receipt Number: ZXXxxxxxxxxxx

Application Type: I589, APPLICATION FOR ASYLUM

Your Case Status: Decision

We reached a decision on your application. You should expect to receive the decision in the mail shortly. You must follow the instructions in your decision letter as to what to do next.

During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision.

• Log-in to your myUSCIS account to view your case history and understand what you can expect to happen next on your case.
  • Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at under Check Processing Times.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Last edited:
For now, "Decision was Mailed" and "New Card being Produced" updates usually happen early morning around 9 am EST.
Other a5 EAD updates such as "Finger Prints were Taken" and "Fees were Waived" could happen anytime, usually around midnight EST.

P.S.
I noticed that there were approved cases, on the "Decision Was Mailed" day, sending the following email notification (need to set E-MAIL ALERTS ON in advance on the "my cases" page).
I am not sure if "formal decision (approved/denied)" would also appear in the email if the decision was NOID or referral. Please provide information if you see such cases.
Title: Case Status Information for Receipt Number: ZXXxxxxxxxxxx

Content:
*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

There has been a recent processing action taken on your case.

Receipt Number: ZXXxxxxxxxxxx

Application Type: I589, APPLICATION FOR ASYLUM

Your Case Status: Decision

We reached a decision on your application. You should expect to receive the decision in the mail shortly. You must follow the instructions in your decision letter as to what to do next.

During this step the formal decision (approved/denied) is written and the decision notice is mailed and/or emailed to the applicant/petitioner. You can use our current processing time to gauge when you can expect to receive a final decision.

• Log-in to your myUSCIS account to view your case history and understand what you can expect to happen next on your case.
  • Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at under Check Processing Times.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

Thank you for your information

What does ol applicant mean? I hope you would be scheduled soon. The adjudications are now prioritizing very old decision pending cases and recently interviewed cases. The interview is still stuck with those Being Rescheduled cases.
I meant very old cases. Those who applied 4-5 years ago. it was a typo
I believe you're right.

This link still takes you to myuscis.... is there a difference
It is different. Have a try, sign up here
It is myuscis though. Previously I said not, which is not right.
Asylum case receipt number (starts with ZXX) can not be added to "myaccount" with uscis, but should be able to be added to myuscis.

If you do login here and it still says case status unavailable, I think it is not normal and you perhaps should send emails to your asylum office.

Last edited:
It is different. Have a try, sign up here
It is myuscis though. Previously I said not, which is not right.
Asylum case receipt number (starts with ZXX) can not be added to "myaccount" with uscis, but should be able to be added to myuscis.

If you do login here and it still says case status unavailable, I think it is not normal and you perhaps should send emails to your asylum office.
Thanks the results will be same