Wait Time in Detroit, MI

ZS1

Registered Users (C)
I had my citizenship interview on 2nd week of December, 2008. The officer said that a decision can not be made and I will hear back in 2 weeks. Well, after 120 days of waiting and sending 2 letters through my lawyer for status update, I have not heard anything back from them. Advise please.

I haven't done that yet. Should I do it or request my lawyer to do so? Thanks.

More Details

Did your case has any other problems - arrests, pending FBI name check etc.

Probably in your interview you could have sensed some thing.....it is very vague right now.

Any ways Goodluck

Yes, unfortunately, I had a problem. In August of 2005 I got arrested. I was in jail for one day with one year of probation. Even though my citizenship timing matured in 2006, I waited until August of 2008 to apply through a lawyer. The lawyer determined and wrote a cover letter to USCIS that I am not deportable etc...

What was the arrest for?. Is it a Felony or a misdemeanor. I know most of the times if it is a 1st misdemeanor and not a CIMT (Crime(s) Involving Moral Turpitude), there will be a favorable outcome. More information will help us to advice the best.

Even if it is a Felony, depending on the outcome from the court with a lesser sentence you will have a chance??

The fact that they called you for the interview is a comfort in itself. Let us wait and see what others say and you should definately go for infopass, then send a note to your senator before you seek any other good immigration lawyer withe experience on your background.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a 1st misdemeanor.
Should I go for infopass myself, or request my lawyer to do so? Also, writing to the senator.... how much time should I wait in general?
Thanks.

Bobsmyth Please Read

Bobsmyth, would you please comment on the 'Wait Time in Detroit' chain? Chicagocitizen has been kind enough to send some responses. I would appreciate your comments as well on my next step....Thanks. ZS1

Bobsmyth, would you please comment on the 'Wait Time in Detroit' chain? Chicagocitizen has been kind enough to send some responses. I would appreciate your comments as well on my next step....Thanks. ZS1

If you would like to contact Bobsmyth directly, sending a PM is better than posting a new thread on here.

I am not sure how to do a PM...
Anyway, I am not married to a US citizen. I got divorced while in my GC period. Then I married and my new wife was on H1 already. The reason I applied for my citizenship is because, I wanted her to get a GC through me.

It was a misdem for domestic violance. I had an inexperience lawyer who told me that if I do not plea guilty, then law enforcement will be on my (ex)wife for falsely charging me..... I was in jail for one night.... If I remember correctly, the deferred sentencing was for 73 days jail time etc. and 1 year of probation. This was back in August 2005. My one year probabation started in Mar 06 and ended in Feb 07. I applied for citizenship in August 08 even though my GC matured in August 2006.

So you pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor DV charge? Unless your conviction had an element of use or attempted use of physical force, you wouldn't have to worry about being deported.
Likewise, unless the conviction had an element of use or attempted use of physical force, a misdemeanor DV would not be considered a crime involving moral turpitude.

Check with an experienced immigration specialized in criminal law to determine if your specific charge had any element of use or attempted use of physical force as the consequences can be very serious if they did.

It was a 1st misdemeanor.
Should I go for infopass myself, or request my lawyer to do so? Also, writing to the senator.... how much time should I wait in general?
Thanks.

Schedule an Infopass on your own. No need to go through your attorney. Request to speak with a supervisor as well. If nothing comes out of it, escalate the issue further with USCIS Ombudsman, and Senator. You can also consider filing a lawsuit since the 120 days since interview have passed.