Visitor Visa requirements

sanket_82

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am planning to sponsor my parent visitor visa in Jan-Feb 2012. So I needed some advice suggestions from somebody who is/was in similar situation.

My scenario: I came here on F1 got married to USC and am currently on GC. My annual income is around $48,000 and my wife's income is $20,000. May dad is retired and mom is a house wife.

Q1 - What would a minimum balance to be shown in bank to prove ability to take care of their expenses in US? Balance should be maintained for how long?

Q2 - What would be a good option for sponsorship, me alone or joint sponsorship with my wife. For joint sponsorship, do we need to file seperate i-134?

A1: Irrelevant. B-2 visas are self-sponsored.
A2: Irrelevant. See above.

Q1 - What would a minimum balance to be shown in bank to prove ability to take care of their expenses in US? Balance should be maintained for how long?

Q2 - What would be a good option for sponsorship, me alone or joint sponsorship with my wife. For joint sponsorship, do we need to file seperate i-134?

You can sponsor tourist visa to your parents

You can sponsor tourist visa to your parents.

A. There is no official limit or set rules for any minimum balance requirement for your bank account. Any amount that can justify the over all cost involve to support the trip and your financial ability to take care of the expenses related to trip. People's experiences say that any amount over $5K to 10K$ should be good, More is good. Provide proof of funds for as much as possible.

B. If you meet the requirements you alone is enough. Because, I-134 does not provide for joint sponsors.

It is more important to just qualify for the visa you apply for according to the statute:

INA 101 Definitions.

(a) (15)The term "immigrant" means every alien except an alien who is within one of the following classes of nonimmigrant aliens .........

(B) an alien (other than one coming for the purpose of study or of performing skilled or unskilled labor or as a representative of foreign press, radio, film, or other foreign information media coming to engage in such vocation) having a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning and who is visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure;

AND

INA 214 - ADMISSION OF NONIMMIGRANTS

(b) Every alien (other than a nonimmigrant described in subparagraph (L) or (V) of section 101(a)(15), and other than a nonimmigrant described in any provision of section 101(a)(15)(H)(i) except subclause (b1) of such section) shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa, and the immigration officers, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status under section 101(a)(15). An alien who is an officer or employee of any foreign government or of any international organization entitled to enjoy privileges, exemptions, and immunities under the International Organizations Immunities Act [22 U.S.C. 288, note], or an alien who is the attendant, servant, employee, or member of the immediate family of any such alien shall not be entitled to apply for or receive an immigrant visa, or to enter the United States as an immigrant unless he executes a written waiver in the same form and substance as is prescribed by section 247(b) .

Last edited by a moderator:
USA Visitor Visa is a tourist visa . This is also known as B2 Visa. A visitor visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to people entering US temporarily for pleasure, tourism, or medical treatment. Any foreign citizen including parents who wants to visit USA for tourism, visiting children, family, friends, relatives, attending special events, family functions, ceremonies, or for medical treatment may qualify and can apply for Visitor Visa.