Visitor visa leaving to stay in Canada for 3 months

ViDeshi8865

Hi gurus, my parents are coming to US with a 10-year multiple entry visas. Their relatives also live in Canada and having come all the way to N America from India, they would like to spend some time in Canada as well. Single way tickets are (Mumbai-NJ-Toronto-Mumbai) are horribly expensive. They propose to stay 3-4 months in NJ (Mar - Jun) and then 3-4 months in Toronto (Jul - Sep) and then return back to NJ, stay a couple of weeks to recover and then fly back to India in Oct. Is this OK - will they face problem when they try to enter US from Canada? All the websites I see have mentioned the visitor needs to go back to home country - in this case they are not going to their home country.

If anyone has been in similar situation please advise.

Hi

Should not be a problem but just so you know the final decision to allow entry into the usa sole rests with the immigration officer at the port of entry and therefore nothing is guarenteed

If your parents will go canada from US via road way and return via road way there should not be any problem, but one thing is sure that their US I-94 will not be change. so that means if their I-94 stamped 6 months still will count 6 months not matter even they were in canada.

So their total trip starting from US and ending in US will be upto the validity of the I-94 and cannot stay more then that.

Automatic revalidation for B Visa

SemiConsulate,
Are you sure that automatic revalidation applies to B visa holders as well? Can you point me to a source for this.

Since the OP's parents will visit Canada for 3-4 months AFTER spending 3-4 months in the US, it makes more sense to surrender their I-94 when entering Canada. Their original I-94s will expire (or be really close to expiring) if the stated visit lengths are adhered to. When they want to return to the US, they can use their multiple entry visas to get a fresh I-94.