Visitor visa for spouse of USC

kumar_98

Registered Users (C)
I just got my citizenship and in the process of applying for I-130 (consular processing) for my wife. She was here previously and left before her visa expired (4 months back) along with my son who is also USC. Doctor has recommended a minor leg surgery for me which does not require hospitalization.. I was wondering if there is any point in applying for visitor's visa, so that she could be here during the surgery and next 3-4 months? if they reject for immigrant intent, would it cause her any problem subsequently?

Theres nothing to stop you from trying- if you dont mind losing the filing fee then why not try?
I denial of a visa will not impact your wife's immigrant visa.

Thanks for your replies. Do you guys know of any USC that got visitor visa for their spouse

Aslo Do they ever give a visitor's visa for someone while I-130 process is ongoing? My cover letter would indicate that I would be initiating I-130... Does filing I-130 make some one automatically ineligible for visitor's visa? should I wait to file I-130 to see what happens with the visitor visa?

Also is there any risk of Visitor's visa being granted at consulate, but POE refusing entry?

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, US citizens do not "get" visitor visas for their spouse. Visit visas are self-sponsored and self-acquired by the applicant.
Secondly, my sister is a US citizen. Her husband, a Saudi citizen, has always had a visitor visa in his passport since 1993, the year they got married. His (my brother-in-law) wife is a US citizen, his 4 children are US citizens, his mother is a US citizen, one sister of his is a US citizen and two are GC holders, yet he has never ever been refused a visit visa under 214(b). He has strong ties to Saudi Arabia and always overcomes 214(b) when he applies for a vsit visa. Prior to 9/11, he used to get 5 year multiple entry visas, now he gets a 1 year multiple entry visa.

Do you guys know of any USC that got visitor visa for their spouse