Visiting visa extension for senior citizens

Ramani2309

My mother is 63 years old. She came to USA on March 1st, 2019. She supposed to leave USA in aug 2019. Due to Covid we extended her stay till feb, 2020. Due to mutation, still she is afraid to travel from USA to India. Is there any way to extend her stay? Her visa is valid till 2027. Please suggest.

She was supposed to leave in August 2019, but you extended her stay till February 2020 due to COVID outbreak - that is interesting considering there was no COVID outbreak in the US in August 2019 though. Plus as at February 2020, the outbreak wasn’t quite severe and elderly people could still easily depart from the US.

Thanks for your response. I mentioned years wrongly. Please check below and advice me.

My mother is 63 years old. She came to USA on March 1st, 2020. She supposed to leave USA in aug 2020. Due to Covid we extended her stay till feb, 2021. Due to mutation, still she is afraid to travel from USA to India. Is there any way to extend her stay? Her visa is valid till 2027. Please suggest.

There was a period of some months in the time above when borders reopened and many felt it was safe to travel, while the mutation is only very recent. You could try for another extension if you don’t want her to go into overstay and lose her visa (her visa will get revoked automatically if she overstays) but you may have a harder time convincing uscis of the need for another 6 months after she will already have been here for a year and had the opportunity to travel back. I don’t see any other option apart from knowingly illegally overstaying or returning home. (Unless you are a citizen and she doesn’t actually want to go back to india permanently in which case you can apply to adjust her status to permanent resident.)