Visiting Girlfriend/Fiance

Slaghead

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have a girlfriend/fiance who lives in Indonesia. I went to visit her at the end of September for two weeks. She was going to come visit me and had an interview for a tourist visa today. She received a NOTICE OF SUSPENSION, 2216, FURTHER INFORMATION NEEDED form. The note on it says "If so desired, may return to apply for fiance visa"

We do plan on eventually getting married in Indonesia, hopefully towards the end of this year.

There was no other reason given for her not receiving a B2 visa and we were really hoping she could come here before we got married. The end of the year is a long way away and I would like her to see if she likes it here before we decide whether we will live in the US or in Indonesia.

Is there any recourse here? Can she inquire regarding the reason why she is unable to get a B2 visa? Is there anything that I can do to help in this situation?

For the record, I'm a natural born citizen of the US.

Im guessing the interviewing officer suspected that your girlfriend/fiance would stay in the US on her tourist visa and get married, that was probably why the application wasnt successful and why he suggested the K1 instead.

Since she is engaged to a US citizen, she failed to overcome 214(b).

Can she inquire regarding the reason why she is unable to get a B2 visa? Is there anything that I can do to help in this situation?

For the record, I'm a natural born citizen of the US.

This is how her interview went to the best of her memory. It probably isn't too far off.

Interviewer: What reason do you want visit US?
Me: Visiting a friend.
Interviewer : Boyfriend?
Me : Yes.
Interviewer: How long you know him?
Me : 1 year.
Interviewer: Have you met in person?
Me : Yes, he just returned from his two weeks trip.
Me : I also have our pics
Interviewer: Are you going to get married?
Me: Not yet.
Interviewer: How do you know him?
Me: I met him on the Internet.
Interviewer: Have you been to another country?
Me: Yes, Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand.
Interviewer : Can I see your bank account record?
Me: (Gave her all I have)
Interviewer : How much is your salary?
Me: xxx/month

Is there anything I can do to alleviate the concern to the consulate that she is coming for more than a visit? Aren't they supposed to provide a reason for turning her away so that she can correct it if she applies again? I don't know if she should have been more verbose regarding our future plans. She wants to go back in on Monday but we are both a little lost as to whether there is any recourse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am afraid the answer to both questions is no.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate the concern to the consulate that she is coming for more than a visit? Aren't they supposed to provide a reason for turning her away so that she can correct it if she applies again?

I am afraid the answer to both questions is no.

I appreciate your replies, though they are leaving me feeling awfully deflated. I feel so powerless and so does she. She tried being honest and she went through a lot of preparation for this interview.

But basically, the only way for her to come and visit is on a K1 then? I was under the impression that a K1 was a one-shot deal. Can she come for a visit on a K1 and then file another K1 or K3 when we are ready to get married?

I didn't think there would be any problem. I thought the fear of denial by the USCIS was really unfounded as it seems that most people who post here have extraneous circumstances. I didn't think her request was all that out of the ordinary. I guess I have been proven wrong and now understand why there are so many websites devoted to US Immigration.

A K-1 is indeed a single entry visa. Yes theoretically she can come on a K-1 visa for 90 days and then leave without marrying you. When ready to marry, you can then go for a second K-1. I would however discourage you from trying to use a K-1 as a visit visa. This has the potential to give you both a lot of griff when applying for her genuine K-1 visa.

But basically, the only way for her to come and visit is on a K1 then? I was under the impression that a K1 was a one-shot deal. Can she come for a visit on a K1 and then file another K1 or K3 when we are ready to get married?