Visiting Canada to get new I-94

nyjune1

Registered Users (C)
Hello Friends,

I have a valid H1 but no current paystub. I got a new job where the company applied for a brand new H1. Can I start working with the new company if I have the new I-797? Someone told me to go to Canada and get a new I-94 by showing the new I-797. Will that allow me to work with the new company or I have to go back to India and get the new H1 stamped? My current H1 stamp is valid till May 15th.

Any idea guys?
I saw ginnu answering a lot of questions on similar issues? Ginnu, do you have any idea?

Thanks

I have a valid H1 but no current pay stub. I got a new job where the company applied for a brand new H1. Can I start working with the new company if I have the new I-797? Someone told me to go to Canada and get a new I-94 by showing the new I-797. Will that allow me to work with the new company or I have to go back to India and get the new H1 stamped? My current H1 stamp is valid till May 15th.

YES, you can go to Canada and while re-entering at Airport or Border show your new H1 approval, you will get new I-94 till the validity of new H1 (go to Canada before your Visa sticker in your passport expires and enter before your Visa sticker in your passport expires) pay stubs are not needed, keep letter from your new employer with you, show if asked)
Second option is you can get Visa stamped from India
You are posting in wrong thread, you should post under H visa thread on this immigration portal forum

Thanks Ginnu for the info.

What kind of letter do I need from my employer? I have an offer letter from him. Is that enough or I need some other letter?

Thanks

If going to Canada the letter should state that they have job for you and salary should be mentioned on the letter, take the letter with recent date, no particular format of letter, I don’t think they will ask for employer letter, just show your H1 approval notice. Show the letter only if asked.

If going to India Job offer letter is OK with H1 approval notice, take copy of your I-129 Petition+ LCA( it is with the lawyer or your employer HR who filed for your H1 with INS/BCIS) they have started askinf for that and your Educational certificates

I have a question about h1 stamping in Canada. In worst case, if US consulate in canada refuses to give the h1 stamping, then whats the other option?

1.my wife is on h4 and she will be getting her h1 approval by this month. We planning to drive to canada for the h1 stamping, but wondering if any problem happens, can she re-enter US on h4 or she needs to go to back to India and get a new status of the h4 or h1 Visa? Is h1 status still valid if US consulate didnt give the h1 stamping in Canada?

2.Can we take a Visitor visa at the US-Canadian border to enter Canada?or we need to apply to some office and wait for sometime?I heard we can take a visitor visa at the border crossing....is that true statement?

Please clarfiy..Really appreciate your time...
thanks so much for your answers
Skar.

Originally posted by love2002
I have a question about h1 stamping in Canada. In worst case, if US consulate in canada refuses to give the h1 stamping, then whats the other option?

1.my wife is on h4 and she will be getting her h1 approval by this month. We planning to drive to canada for the h1 stamping, but wondering if any problem happens, can she re-enter US on h4 or she needs to go to back to India and get a new status of the h4 or h1 Visa? Is h1 status still valid if US consulate didnt give the h1 stamping in Canada?

If her H1-B is not granted and she still has a H-4 visa stamp in her passport (hopefully the consulate dose't cancel it, she can reenter back on H-4). Your wife does not require a VISA stamp wo wotk in the US provided her H-1B approval (I-797) comes with a I-94

2.Can we take a Visitor visa at the US-Canadian border to enter Canada?or we need to apply to some office and wait for sometime?I heard we can take a visitor visa at the border crossing....is that true statement?
Visa has to be obtained at the Canadian Consulate. However I have heard about cases where a VISA was granted at the border but don't take my word!

Please clarfiy..Really appreciate your time...
thanks so much for your answers
Skar.