Visit to the Social Security Office

vishals

Registered Users (C)
All,

I recieved my Green Card on Friday, Aug 21st (marriage to a US Citizen). I entered US on F1, then moved to H1B visa. I have to visit the local Social Security office to get my status changed . Can you tell me the following:

1. What documents do I need to carry to the Social Security Office?
2. Do I need to take an appointment with them?
3. How much time does this usually takes?

Just to let you know, I live in Los Angeles (I have no idea..how much crowded the office would be).

Thanks,
Vishal

The proof of address could be a problem, I lost my lease papers last week. Not sure if I can get a copy by Wednesday.

Do you know what other documents can serve as Proof of Address?

Thanks,
Vishal

The proof of address could be a problem, I lost my lease papers last week. Not sure if I can get a copy by Wednesday.

Do you know what other documents can serve as Proof of Address?

Thanks,
Vishal

Lease not required, it is suggested to prove residency. Take US mail, utility bill or something with your name and address. Call your insurance company and ask them to email you proof of insurance, usually has address. bank statement with you address, greencard and make a copy of it, passport. No need to make appointment, just walk in and request a change.
:)

F1 --> H1 --> GC (2 months back). Went to SS office couple weeks after I got the card, all they asked me to show was green card. It took about 1 hour to wait for them to take the form (too many people asking for benefits), and then I received it in mail week later.

yeap, just another troll.

anyway, SSA doest't usually ask for proof of address. DMV does because you need to be a state resident if you want a State ID. SSN is a federal number and doesn't require a residency in a particular state.

The SSA didn't ask me for proof of address. I only had to show them my GC and old SS card. No passport or anything else. They mail the card to you, so if you give a bogus address you won't receive it.