• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Visa Refusal on Missing Documents?

OCdude

I called the US consulate where i will be having interview (CP) next week to ask if they have receive police cert from another country i lived in. they said no, and chances are i wont get it until march. i asked the officer what if you dont get my police cert in time for interview what happens

she said we will give you refusal letter and when police cert come in then we will ask for passports back!

has someone got similar experience where the police or any other paper work was not in in time for their current month. has someone got this refusal letter. i have never heard of this refusal letter before even in this forum

please advise
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
OCdude,
Where are you having your interview?
I have heard many times of people having to send their passports back with the "missing" documents at a later date, but I don't know if any of these people were given "refusal" notices. It sounds strange. Maybe you can call back and ask someone else. In any case it is OK to present you PC later. It's been done before.

If you are an OC winner you may want to check out experiences from previous winners. Maybe you've done so already here's the link anyway:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=236156

Good luck

Barbara

thanks Barbara,

i am in new zealand. I had done exactly what you suggested. the first time i called some american accented lady told me that you will be refused if the document is missing...i had a little lump in my throat for a moment :eek: When i said, is that permanent refusal/denial of visa, she then said, No its 'documented' refusal but you will have until Sept 30th to be granted visa pending police clearance

the second time i called, i got a kiwi accented lady and thats when she said the i will be given that refusal letter and also said i will have however good chance of getting Visa until June as up to that point they have good aviability of visa numbers.

I read some of the posts u gave and the good detailed ones are Aussie ones :rolleyes:
few Kiwi ones and they are few years old...but valuable nontheless

i will definitely write up a thorough experience for other kiwis should i get the visa :)

just one other question about sending passports back for missing docs...whats the longest you have heard/come across for someone having to wait for missing doc before getting visa i.e number of weeks/months after CP interview before they sent passport back to get visa.

thanks for ur help Barb...

it's is a very common occurrence - people don't always have all the required documents ready for the interview, so they "conditionally" pass the interview but will not get their visas until they submit everything that is required. They should consider themselves lucky if the visas are still available for their country when they finally produce the docs.

Thanks lucy

when you say ..if visas are still available for their country - i thought visa avilability is looked at regional level when u finally produce the docs.

i hope to get the police certificate into them at the very latest in march end if not in feb. My interview is in first week of feb though.

so i am guessing that in March if there are visas avaiable for OC then i should get it because the program finishes in Sept and as long as its not "current" for everyone in March for OC.

Would that be correct or still like you said its country by country within OC..in which case i dont know when visas finish for my country of nativity

I hope to get it based on thats its Feb/March and still 6 months away from end of fiscal year and past trend indicate OC goes current in Aug/Sept.

i thought visa avilability is looked at regional level

yes, and no, since every country gets only 3,500 visas.

The visas have been apportioned among six geographic regions with a maximum of seven percent available to persons born in any single country. http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1317.html

Once they run out, you are out of luck. So far it only happened to Ukraine, it ran out of visas by May a year or so ago and a lot of people were left with nothing.

OC Dude,

3500 is not the number of visas allocated to EVERY country.
The rule is that no one country can get more then 7% of the avilable diversity visas for each fiscal year for that particular region.

And the number of visas allocated for each region varies (although slightly) year to year

So in your case although the interview is quite early inthe fiscal year you have VERY good chance of getting it say thru to June (based on past years' cutoffs).
Also OC is one of the regions where as far as i know there has never been diff cutoffs for individual countries.. i.e all countries just follow the cuttoff for the month published.

So in your case - probability of not getting visa based on the scenario that your country of nativity had used up 7% of allocated visas to OC before Sept 30th is Extremely Low