• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

visa processing time and issuance

shamseye

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I have my interview in my home country, but I'm living and working in another country, which means I can't keep my passport for more a week or two in the consulate.

Is is possible to keep my passport with me and to send later for visa issuance ? (which I assume it will take few days?) ?

Also if I postpone the interview, does it reduces my chances ?

Hi shamseye,

I think it is easier you change the place of the interview to the country which you are living. You can do that sending new forms to KCC.

Hi shamseye,

I think it is easier you change the place of the interview to the country which you are living. You can do that sending new forms to KCC.

I agree with that! The only benefit of having your interview in home country is that you don't need any translations of your documents - they are happy with either English or your native language.

For me it is easier to translate some of my documents to English and have an interview in London (that is if I will become current next year) than to fly back to the homeland and have the medicals and the interview there. I can travel around EU on my ID card so passport would not be an issue for me but still prefer to do it in the UK.

the question if there is a provision to keep my passport until they process my visa?

also., my interview is in august, not sure if I have enough time to move location

Since your interview is already scheduled, you do not have enough time to request for a move to another consulate/embassy. Even if you had enough time to do so before the end of the 2013 fiscal year, it is not a good idea to request the move.

And no, if you have a successful interview, you WILL have to leave your passport behind at the embassy if you want your visa issued.

also., my interview is in august, not sure if I have enough time to move location

Are you sure about this? How long can they keep my passport?

Since your interview is already scheduled, you do not have enough time to request for a move to another consulate/embassy. Even if you had enough time to do so before the end of the 2013 fiscal year, it is not a good idea to request the move.

And no, if you have a successful interview, you WILL have to leave your passport behind at the embassy if you want your visa issued.

Are you sure about this? How long can they keep my passport?

You should email your applicable US embassy/consulate if you're skeptical of the response you're getting here.

Thank you for your response.

Thank you for advising on what to do if I'm sceptical. Actually, I'm not sceptical about your answer:). I was surprised, and just wanted to make sure this is something you are sure about (or maybe read it somewhere in their web sites).

Thank you for taking the time and writing a response for me.

I agree with Sm1smom. If you interview is already schedule do not try to make any change.

About the time the consulate keeps your passport I have heard it is between five and ten days. I think you should explain your situation to the CO in the interview, maybe he/she can help you.