• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Visa Bulletin for July 2015

hello, I have an UK police certificated from 19 Feb ..should I get another one? UK police are good for 1 year, I think.
My interview should be in August .. All other police certificates are from April..and valid for at least 6 months..

If you have not been in the UK since February that should be fine. The only thing I would say is that IF the CO objects to the age of the PC, AP in August waiting for a police report would probably cost you the GC - so you might want to spend a few bucks now for that to be a non issue.

If you have not been in the UK since February that should be fine. The only thing I would say is that IF the CO objects to the age of the PC, AP in August waiting for a police report would probably cost you the GC - so you might want to spend a few bucks now for that to be a non issue.

I am still in Canada with that job, but I have not change my address with KCC, because I still rent a temporary room, and my actual address and all my things are still in UK. Do I have to tell CO that I am since March in Canada with a job? My address on file is still in UK.

Also Romanian police is from April 15 but it is only valid 6 months...it is not easy to get a Romanian police..and I have not been in Romania only visiting in February for 5 days.

I got also a Canadian one in April 15 or around. That costs a lot..should it be ok you think?

Thanks

I am still in Canada with that job, but I have not change my address with KCC, because I still rent a temporary room, and my actual address and all my things are still in UK. Do I have to tell CO that I am since March in Canada with a job? My address on file is still in UK.

Also Romanian police is from April 15 but it is only valid 6 months...it is not easy to get a Romanian police..and I have not been in Romania only visiting in February for 5 days.

I got also a Canadian one in April 15 or around. That costs a lot..should it be ok you think?

Thanks

If KCC has your address as being in the UK, won't they schedule the interview there? Or did you ask them for Canada?

If KCC has your address as being in the UK, won't they schedule the interview there? Or did you ask them for Canada?
my interview will be in London UK..I did not ask for Canada, as it was not clear about this job till late March and it is like temporary...I took a room at a friend in Canada for few months...I want my interview to be in London UK.

my interview will be in London UK..I did not ask for Canada, as it was not clear about this job till late March and it is like temporary...I took a room at a friend in Canada for few months...I want my interview to be in London UK.

Well in that case they will probably think it odd that you present a police certificate from February. I would suggest you get anther one for just before the interview.

ok. I will do that..thanks
do you think the other 2 police certificates from mid April - one Canadian , one Romanian (Romanian is only valid 6 months)
are ok? It was difficult to get Romanian one, I sent a power of attorney to my mother in Romania, and they
barely wanted to issue one..they said to come in person..if I go to Romanian embassy, it is at least 3 months to get the police
certificate

thanks

do you think the other 2 police certificates from mid April - one Canadian , one Romanian (Romanian is only valid 6 months)
are ok? It was difficult to get Romanian one, I sent a power of attorney to my mother in Romania, and they
barely wanted to issue one..they said to come in person..if I go to Romanian embassy, it is at least 3 months to get the police
certificate

thanks

It's up to you. The UK one is obvious to me as you are interviewing there. If the others haven't expired I guess they are ok. Just remember, as simon said, if you get put on AP in August you may lose the green card.

It's up to you. The UK one is obvious to me as you are interviewing there. If the others haven't expired I guess they are ok. Just remember, as simon said, if you get put on AP in August you may lose the green card.
yes, I will do UK police certificate for sure again..thanks for advice

Hi all,
I have a question. Do you know if US Embassies require police certificate with apostil or without apostil?

Also do the Embassies require high school certificate/diploma or bachelor's diploma assessment for US equivalency for the interview?

Last edited:
Also do the Embassies require high school certificate/diploma or bachelor's diploma assessment for US equivalency for the interview?

No, the embassies know what the country equivalents are. If you are interviewing in a different country and they are unsure, they will put you on AP while they contact your home country embassy to confirm your qualifications.

No, the embassies know what the country equivalents are. If you are interviewing in a different country and they are unsure, they will put you on AP while they contact your home country embassy to confirm your qualifications.
Thanks SusieQQQ!
Do you mean they can do this for checking the equivalency of high school certificate too or only bachelor or master degrees?

is it possible to get some high school equivalency confirmation before the interview?
Localized IV & DV information is sometimes available on local US Consulate webpages, as has been the case for our Consulate, including localized information on DV education requirements as fulfilled by country specific school levels. Hence, it therefore depends on what type of applicable information the Consulate publishes for applicants in advance. If there is no official communication from Consulate side, your best bet will be Armenian Chat Groups on DV interview topics. Lastly, you may also try to contact the Consulate before your interview, yet this may or may not be successful.

Localized IV & DV information is sometimes available on local US Consulate webpages, as has been the case for our Consulate, including localized information on DV education requirements as fulfilled by country specific school levels. Hence, it therefore depends on what type of applicable information the Consulate publishes for applicants in advance. If there is no official communication from Consulate side, your best bet will be Armenian Chat Groups on DV interview topics. Lastly, you may also try to contact the Consulate before your interview, yet this may or may not be successful.
Thanks EURO2014!
The US Embassy in Armenia states for dv visa: "Original high school diploma of the applicant is required. It is highly advised to bring documents relating to an applicant’s work history, including a work booklet, reference letters, etc."
The matter is that my wife (main applicant) studied the last 2 years of secondary school in Moscow and left the school there with a secondary school certificate, before that she studied 8 years in Armenia and received 8 years' school certificate, so I do not know how the US Embassy in Armenia will accept this.

Last edited:
Thanks EURO2014!
The US Embassy in Armenia states for dv visa: "Original high school diploma of the applicant is required. It is highly advised to bring documents relating to an applicant’s work history, including a work booklet, reference letters, etc."
The matter is that my wife (main applicant) studied the last 2 years of school in Moscow and left the school there with a certificate, before that she studied 8 years in Armenia and received 8 years' school certificate, so I do not know how the US Embassy in Armenia will accept this.
You are welcome.
The situation you describe might pose a problem for your wife and you. Instructions for DV-2016 state the following

"Requirement #2: Each applicant must meet the education/work experience requirement of the DV program by having either:

 a high school education or its equivalent, defined as successful completion of a 12-year course of formal elementary and secondary education;
OR
 two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience to perform. The U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net Online database will be used to determine qualifying work experience.

For more information about qualifying work experience for the principal DV applicant, see the Frequently Asked Questions."

Qualification through Work Experience is possible, yet more complex and, depending on the type of work your wife is doing, difficult. As for qualifying through education, they are looking for 12-year course work in elementary and secondary school education, successfully completed through graduation. Subsequent College/University courses won't be considered without US equivalent High School qualification. It is the requirements for your wife they will be looking into in detail, they won't be interested in you as the dependent in this respect.

Last edited:
You are welcome.
The situation you describe might pose a problem for your wife and you. Instructions for DV-2016 state the following

"Requirement #2: Each applicant must meet the education/work experience requirement of the DV program by having either:

 a high school education or its equivalent, defined as successful completion of a 12-year course of formal elementary and secondary education;
OR
 two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience to perform. The U.S. Department of Labor’s O*Net Online database will be used to determine qualifying work experience.

For more information about qualifying work experience for the principal DV applicant, see the Frequently Asked Questions."

Qualification through Work Experience is possible, yet more complex and, depending on the type of work your wife is doing, difficult. As for qualifying through education, they are looking for 12-year course work in elementary and secondary school education, successfully completed through graduation. Subsequent College/University courses won't be considered without US equivalent High School qualification. It is the requirements for your wife they will be looking into in detail, they won't be interested in you as the dependent in this respect.
thanks for your advice, EURO2014, but I am not sure you have full understanding of the education system in post Soviet Union areas. All over Armenia and Russia schools last only 10 years up until recently. This has never caused a problem for equivalency recognition to US 12 years and I know many people in Armenia who received and receive dv visas with 10 years certificate. the certificates do not state 10 years, but full secondary school certificate. The contents of mine are also similar.
My only concern was Russian vs Armenian certificate while being interviewed in Armenia.

thanks for your advice, EURO2014, but I am not sure you have full understanding of the education system in post Soviet Union areas. All over Armenia and Russia schools last only 10 years up until recently. This has never caused a problem for equivalency recognition to US 12 years and I know many people in Armenia who received and receive dv visas with 10 years certificate. the certificates do not state 10 years, but full secondary school certificate. The contents of mine are also similar.
My only concern was Russian vs Armenian certificate.
Well, in my book a possible scenario for you might look as follows: on the day of the interview the CO will look at the school certificate of your wife (you will need to present the original and a black & white copy) and try to determine whether this certificate is equivalent to an US High School degree, allowing for general University entry. Either this CO will feel competent enough about school certificates from Russia to make a determination right then and there OR she/he will put you on AP, contact the US Consulate in Moscow and ask for a formal determination of the specific school certificate your wife is holding. The latter will take some time, of course. It either will be one or the other, the determination of the CO, whatever it will be with or without AP, will be final. Sorry I don't have better news for you.