Visa # assigned?

atmaramji

Registered Users (C)
I recently received and responded to an EVL RFE. (Responded 08/03/2008).
I am wishfully thinking that a visa number must have been assigned to my case...since they touched it!
Since I see EB3 approvals still coming in August, I am also wishfully thinking that my 485 might get approved soon after they receive the RFE response.

Anybody in the same boat or want to share your thoughts?

I think there is a very good likelyhood of this happening. Why don't you call your SC directly and enquire!

I am wishfully thinking that a visa number must have been assigned to my case...since they touched it!

They don't assign a visa number when they look at your case, they only do so when they approve it. I had an RFE and a case transfer, and my visa number wasn't assigned until two years later - at the interview when the officer approved my case.

Oh well...I wish I could bask in my ignorant bliss for some more time.
But thanks Canadian for the reality check!
:0)

Will keep you guys updated.

Oh well...I wish I could bask in my ignorant bliss for some more time.
But thanks Canadian for the reality check!
:0)

Will keep you guys updated.

I'm in the same boat.

RFE replied on 08/06 ( RFE was for medical certificate and EVL )

Is there any changes in ur LUD indicating the receipt of reponse?

Hoping that Visa number is assigned as there is nothing else to do....

Is there any way to check whether my 485 is tagged with a visa number or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine too was recd by TSC on 08/06/2007.
But no LUDs yet.
I have read in some of the threads that you speak to an immigration officer to check if visa # has been assigned to your case. I cannot vouch for the success of this method, because most IOs seemed to be too pissed or lazy to lookup your case and provide that info to you over the phone.

My status changed today as follows, does this mean within 60 days they will either approve, reject or send me a notice for interview/FP on my 485? :rolleyes:

''' On August 9, 2007, we received your response to our request for evidence. We will notify you by mail when we make a decision or if we need something from you. If you move while this case is pending, call customer service. You should expect to receive a written decision or written update within 60 days of the date we received your response unless fingerprint processing or an interview are standard parts of case processing and have not yet been completed, in which case you can use our processing dates to estimate when this case will be done. '''

Mine too was recd by TSC on 08/06/2007.
But no LUDs yet.
I have read in some of the threads that you speak to an immigration officer to check if visa # has been assigned to your case. I cannot vouch for the success of this method, because most IOs seemed to be too pissed or lazy to lookup your case and provide that info to you over the phone.

Since I see EB3 approvals still coming in August, I am also wishfully thinking that my 485 might get approved soon after they receive the RFE response.

There are no more visas left for this fiscal year (07). They will again be available as of FY 08 which is 10/1/07. If your case is finished processing before 10/1 it will simply wait until October, at which time the INS will start issuing immigrant visas again.

While this statement is correct. I have seen many approvals which came after the visa number became not available. Which supports the theory of visa number getting assigned at some point of time prior to approval.

One can always hope........ :rolleyes:

There are no more visas left for this fiscal year (07). They will again be available as of FY 08 which is 10/1/07. If your case is finished processing before 10/1 it will simply wait until October, at which time the INS will start issuing immigrant visas again.

Based on October '07 visa bulletin predictions, it doesnt't look good for people like me who are on EB3. So unless the 485 gets approved before that, it looks like certain long wait.:mad:

While this statement is correct. I have seen many approvals which came after the visa number became not available. Which supports the theory of visa number getting assigned at some point of time prior to approval.

USCIS adjudicators have been known to "batch request" visa numbers to speed up the process; if they have 50 cases then they may request 45 or 50 numbers at a time, and then allocate them as they approve each case.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the USCIS online system may record the date of approval as the date the I-485 approval notice was generated, not necessarily the date that the I-485 itself was approved. Usually, there's a gap of at most a day or so between the two.

The bottom line is that once dates retrogress, you may see a trickle of approvals in the first few days of the month if the adjudicator batch requested numbers in the previous month, worked slowly and the approval was on a Friday and the notice was printed on a Saturday or Monday.

But it's now the 10th of the month. I don't think we're going to see any more EB approvals until October.

For the sake of argument ( and keeping my hopes alive ) .....:cool:

I saw someone posting an approval today in this forum. The priority date cut off and visa number avialability does not go hand in hand. Visa number availability is the real time data, where as the priority date cut of is a predicton on avialability of visa numbers. USCIS is known to under esitmate/ over esitimate and not estimate at all when they make their prediction. So the numbers could still be available. Also, the visa numbers could become suddenly available as they find a waste basket in their back room filled with unused numbers....:eek:

USCIS adjudicators have been known to "batch request" visa numbers to speed up the process; if they have 50 cases then they may request 45 or 50 numbers at a time, and then allocate them as they approve each case.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the USCIS online system may record the date of approval as the date the I-485 approval notice was generated, not necessarily the date that the I-485 itself was approved. Usually, there's a gap of at most a day or so between the two.

The bottom line is that once dates retrogress, you may see a trickle of approvals in the first few days of the month if the adjudicator batch requested numbers in the previous month, worked slowly and the approval was on a Friday and the notice was printed on a Saturday or Monday.

But it's now the 10th of the month. I don't think we're going to see any more EB approvals until October.

They don't assign a visa number when they look at your case, they only do so when they approve it. I had an RFE and a case transfer, and my visa number wasn't assigned until two years later - at the interview when the officer approved my case.

I'm in a similar situation with RFE replied and acknowledged by NSC on July 20th. Was a medicals RFE (request for medical examination).

The online message says "We have received your response to the RFE ... wait 60 days ...". So from your posting it sounds like it doesn't mean anything. What would they say when 60 days expire? (which will be September 20th, before the new fiscal year). Does it at least mean that by name check has cleared (the fact that they requested RFE)?

Also interesting that they didn't request EVL - would that be the next step to keep me entertained before the next fiscal year? :)

Thanks a lot!

Tired of waiting in limbo ...

The priority date cut off and visa number avialability does not go hand in hand. Visa number availability is the real time data, where as the priority date cut of is a predicton on avialability of visa numbers.

Not true. If you look at the visa bulletin, it clearly states "Only applicants who have a priority date earlier than the cut-off date may be allotted a number. Immediately that it becomes necessary during the monthly allocation process to retrogress a cut-off date, supplemental requests for numbers will be honored only if the priority date falls within the new cut-off date."

What that means is that once a cutoff date is established for a category, DOS cannot allocate a visa number to an application whose priority date is prior to the cutoff date. Even if that means visas will be unused.

USCIS is known to under esitmate/ over esitimate and not estimate at all when they make their prediction.

USCIS doesn't set the priority dates.

So the numbers could still be available.

DOS has stated that all EB categories are UNAVAILABLE. That means that they will not issue a single EB visa number for August. Now they may find a few unused EB visa numbers that they can allocate in September, so they may set a really early cutoff date for an EB category for one month only. But if they guess too early and visa numbers remain unused, then they are unused.

One can always hope........ :rolleyes:

I've seen a number of approvals that have apparently come through after it was publicized that visas were not available (7/1) also. No idea what kind of behind the scenes activity is going on there. My case was transferred to a local office in early June. I went for the interview on 8/6. Everything went fine except the first thing the adjudicator said was that no more visas were available until after 10/1-so my passport couldn't be stamped. I even went to an infopass appointment yesterday and it was totally useless. The officer's knowledge was actually inferior to mine in all cases ! All in all an unbelievable experience.

Based on October '07 visa bulletin predictions, it doesnt't look good for people like me who are on EB3. So unless the 485 gets approved before that, it looks like certain long wait.:mad:

I wouldn't necessarily think so. Remember as of 6/15/07 there were still 60000 immigrant visas available ! They were used up in 2 weeks due to the overtime the INS worked. From what I've seen the INS processes about 10000 visas only per month. If your 485 gets wrapped by by Qtr2 next year you should still be okay to get your passport stamped at the interview (if there is one) or to get the welcome notice by email.

atmaramji,
Did you received your RFE or attorney? Can you please let me know

Regards

Lawyer recd the RFE, I responded...lawyer too lazy...says he has "more important things to do"
I got an LUD today also...two in a row...yesterday and today. Details in signature.

Is there any change in your message? Does it say you will get a response in 60 days?

Did you LUD really change to 8/12? Which is sunday.

Lawyer recd the RFE, I responded...lawyer too lazy...says he has "more important things to do"
I got an LUD today also...two in a row...yesterday and today. Details in signature.

I am posting first time but have been a silent regular over a year or so. you are very close to the approval as same thing happened to me. 2-3 LUDs after receiving RFE and approval email thereafter. Hang in there.
EB2 (NIW) - Sept 2005
140 AD March,07
485 RFE (spouse & Myself) June 6, 07
RFE Rep July 18, 07 (lawyer delayed)
Reached July 19, 07
485 AD July 25, 07 ( spouse still pending)