VERY Strange problem

onegoal

Registered Users (C)
My inlaws got their visitors visa approved on feb, 2003. They already booked the tickets to come here. BUt today they got an email from chennaI@state.gov. Here are the contents..

Dear --------------:

Please arrange to return your passport to our office immediately. We have noticed a technical error with your visa, which was issued on -------------. You may visit our office on any workday at 2 p.m. or mail your passport with the copy of this letter. We will make the necessary correction and return the passport to you or send it back to you by mail.

We regret for the inconvenience caused in this regard.

Thank you

Consular Section
American Consulate General
Chennai, India

Consulate General of the
United States of America
220 Mount Road
Chennai - 600 006

Any one have any idea on this issue. Youe help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

B1 technical error letter

Nairji,

Even my parents got the same letter today. Theu got their visitor visa stamped in the monthe of Feb.They have already booked the tickets. They are just planning to go in person to US consulate Chennai and hoping to get the error corrected and starting from there.

Remya

Please post details later

Sorry to hear that.
Please post details after they return from consulate.

Thank you very much in advance.
Sept13

My mother also received similar letter. Not sure what is going on @Chennai.

In this case, she is already in US with that visitor visa and not sure what to do.

I would appreciate if you share your experiences.

Thanks

When did they visit Chennai consulate?

Hi,

Can you guys post the dates when your parenets/in-laws went
to Chennai consulate?

Thanks
Sept13

visitor's visa

Hi Guys:
This is for anybody who could advice us:
We are Indian citizens with landed status in Canada. Until now we did not require any visa to travel back and forth to U.S. But begining Mar, 17 we will need a visa.
An immigrant alien petition I-140, under professional with adv. degree/exceptional ability ( after labor certification clearance) was filed for me from my prospective employer ( a major university in the U.S. Will this in any way hinder me getting a visitor's visa. I am hoping to go the U.S.consulate in Canada next week.
Thank you

Excite,

As far as I know, yes it will be a problem. A visitor visa is issued when they establish that you have no intent to stay in US and you just want to visit for pleasure or business. Now, you already have a 140 in place which shows your intent to migrate.

I never applied for a visitor visa but I think there is a column which asks if a immigrant visa has been filed on your behalf. You will have to say yes and that will raise a flag.

I will be happy for you if I am not correct. I am not a lawyer and this is my personal opinion. Do let us know after you visit the consulate next week.

. excite
if you had H1B or H4 or O1 visa you can get your Visa stamp in Canada but you should have approved nonimmigrant petition because H1B H4,O1 all are DUAL INTENT visas you can have nonimmigrant and immigrant intent at the same time. Pending I-140 or I-485 will not harm you to get visa stamp, many H1b holder who filed I-140 and I-485 are still maintaining H1b status and have Revalidated the Visa in US , in Canada and India.
If your last Visa stamp has not expired more than 1 year still you can get it revalidated in US from department of state, or you can get it stamped in Canada, but for visa stamping in Canada you have to take appointment search goggle for Toronto US consulate or US embassy site in Canada it has all the info
If your employer in US has no nonimmigrant visa petition like H, O for you and your I-140 was filed directly then it is clear indication that you have Immigration Intent and you may be denied Visitor visa in Canada. you may be only accepted as Immigrant when your GC process is over.

Technical Error Solved

My parents went to Chennai consulate and they corrected their visa . It was the fault on their part.

Good Luck !

Regards
Remya

I am hearing lots of reports of good people facing problems at the port of entry. This is not the best time to travel unless absolutely neccessary.

hi all,

i am planning to call my mother for a visit to US.This would be her first visit to US.
Pl let me know what are the documents reqd for the visitor visa and type and the sample of the text if the letter which i am supposed to write and addressed to whom?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi Remya and Sept 13,
I had the same problem for my spouse for her L2 Visa
But we were already in US by the time we received the email.
And it happened exactly at the same time Feb 2003.

My wife is now in India and is going to the chennai consulate to get the error corrected.
Can you please post what was the error that was corrected for your parents.
Did they take any additional documents?

Your information will be helpful.