Validity of Indian Passport for Entering U.S. on Green Card

hanmanthr

Registered Users (C)
I am a U.S. green card holder living in U.S. I just now found out that I need to go to India in a week and return to U.S. in mid November. However, my Indian passport is expiring in mid December, so it will be valid for only a month at the time of entry.

Do I need 6 months validity to enter U.S. even if I have a green card? Or does that apply only to other types of Visas?

Will the airlines cause a problem for me to go to India?

If I go to India and apply for renewal there, how long it takes to get the new one? Same day as in the U.S? Is there any danger with this approach?

Any suggestions on my options here would be appreciated. This is urgent, so I appreciate a quick response.

Thanks

With a GC, you need not worry about your passport's validity. The US will not give you any trouble. I'm not sure about the airlines and Indian immigration.

Hi there,

If you have valid Indian passport now with GC go to India and enter the Country and you can apply there a new Indian passport in Delhi or wherever is closer to your regional passport office in India.

When you apply for Indian passport you do not need to provide any GC or foreign document. You will just need to prove that you are Indian, your old passport is enough proved.

I travelled to India and returned at the end of Nov 2009 and my passport had 1 month validity at the time of returning (expiring Dec 2009). I did not have any problems with the airlines or the immigration.

I did not renew my passport in India because I heard stories that occassionally your renewl gets stuck for months.