valid J1 visa after completed program WORK PERMIT NEEDED???? HELP!!!

susiqbabypoo

Hello,
I have a question. My J1 visa is valid for 5 years. My work program is only for 1 year. I wanna attend a private school in Florida and I wanna complete my school in either New York or California since there are better schools for my field of study than in Florida. After I've completed my work program in Florida. Could I move to California (or New York) and apply for a work permit? My visa says Bearer is NOT subject to section 212 (e) 2 year rule DOES NOT apply.... I thought that would be a good thing????

Isn't it?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Susi

P.S If I would be able to get a work permit, when should I apply for a work permit and how long would it take them to get it for me and could I ask for that permit before my program is going to be completed or do I have to move to the other state first?

P.S.S What is a waiver? And could it be that I already have my work permit anyway, since my visa was approved for 5 years?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not a lawyer but I am almost positive that in order to start a new program you need a new J1 visa (DS2019, not just the stamp in your passport). Not being subject to 212e is indeed good. If you had one, you would need to either go to your home country for at least two years after finishing the program or to apply for the waiver.

If your program ended you status ends as well. You should enroll in a new program and get a new visa stamp outside the US (if you are past 30 days since your status ended you are out of status and can't do adjustment of status any more). Don't stay for more than 179 days or you will be banned from the US for 3 years (10 years if its more than 360 days).

Hello,
I have a question. My J1 visa is valid for 5 years. My work program is only for 1 year. I wanna attend a private school in Florida and I wanna complete my school in either New York or California since there are better schools for my field of study than in Florida. After I've completed my work program in Florida. Could I move to California (or New York) and apply for a work permit? My visa says Bearer is NOT subject to section 212 (e) 2 year rule DOES NOT apply.... I thought that would be a good thing????

Isn't it?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Susi

P.S If I would be able to get a work permit, when should I apply for a work permit and how long would it take them to get it for me and could I ask for that permit before my program is going to be completed or do I have to move to the other state first?

P.S.S What is a waiver? And could it be that I already have my work permit anyway, since my visa was approved for 5 years?

Having a visa stamp in your passport for 5 years or even for 50 years does not mean anything, it is your status (valid DS) that mean you are in legal status.
If you done with your program for the one year that is it. To move to another program or to study or whatever, you have to have visa status, J, F, H ....etc.
Work permit is not an option for you at that time (to make it simple; it is an option for J2 during the validity of the J1 status (not the validity of the passport stamp) of the principle's J1)
Check with the international office of the new university your options and let them know your current status and what visa they can offer you

Please

HELLO
I LOOKING FOR HELP...My hunsbad in american residence and im came to USA with the J1 visa...i what to apply for the american residence but i dont know if i can because i have the 2 year rule and say DOES APPLY..so i dont know what i need to do...or a i need to go back peru and make the paper from there im really confuse.