USCIS trasnferred case to another filed office because she could not provide state ID/residency proof

curiousv

Officer asked her to provide NJ state issued ID - but she never made one.
So officer got suspicious and told her she is lying and told her to be honest.
She said she never made ID but she could provide other documents like health insurance / bank statement / usps change of address but officer said these docs are not reliable / acceptable.
Well officer went ahead and she passed majority of interview ..English / civic etc..
But at last he gave N652 - decision can not be made and later got an email that they transferred to another field office. (Seattle WA) because officer said her move to NJ was temporary and her actual residence state
is WA.

Now what will happen. She is still in NJ ....file is transferred to Seattle WA . .will this file be denied because they think they that she filed in wrong jurisdiction?
Please note before filing from NJ address.she did live in NJ for about 5 months ..(way more than 3 months)

she has to file another new application and pay full fees again?

She has to move back to live in Seattle jurisdiction and live there for at least 3 months before she can get another interview or apply again?

It’s a pity, she didn’t confirm what she needed to take. DL or other state-issued ID is on the required list. (See item 4 https://my.uscis.gov/citizenship/what_to_expect )

The uscis manual says
In cases where an officer becomes aware of a change in jurisdiction during the naturalization interview, the officer may complete the interview and then forward the applicant’s A-file with the pending application to the office having jurisdiction. The officer informs the applicant that the application’s jurisdiction has changed. The applicant will receive a new appointment notice from the current office with jurisdiction.

It doesn’t seem she has to pay the fee again but needs another interview. There must be a way you can appeal the change of jurisdiction, if she has legitimately moved to NJ then Seattle is not the correct office of jurisdiction.

(a) Request for transfer of application. An applicant who, after filing an application for naturalization, changes residence, or plans to change residence within three months, may request, in writing, that a pending application be transferred from the current USCISoffice to the USCIS office having jurisdiction over the applicant's new place of residence. The request shall be submitted to the office where the application was originally filed. The request shall include the applicant's name, alien registration number, date of birth, complete current address including name of the county, complete address at the time of filing the application, reason for the request to transfer the application, and the date the applicant moved or intends to move to the new jurisdiction.

Officer first asked about residency and figured that NJ might not be right state ..because officer asked her where will you permanently reside ? she said NJ is my temporary ..I am going to settle/reside in WA state. But he still went ahead with English/Civic tests and she passed...so now my question is ...If she needs another/new interview at Seattle field office...does it mean she needs to pass English/Civic test again?

Also, can she still appeal the decision against transfer from NJ (please note she herself said NJ is my temp. residence and WA is my permanent)
She initially thought she would move to NJ permanently but than she changed her mind and decided that she will move back to WA after this application is done and she gets citizenship.

Last edited:
Officer first asked about residency and figured that NJ might not be right state ..because officer asked her where will you permanently reside ? she said NJ is my temporary ..I am going to settle/reside in WA state. But he still went ahead with English/Civic tests and she passed...so now my question is ...If she needs another/new interview at Seattle field office...does it mean she needs to pass English/Civic test again?

Also, can she still appeal the decision against transfer from NJ (please note she herself said NJ is my temp. residence and WA is my permanent)
She initially thought she would move to NJ permanently but than she changed her mind and decided that she will move back to WA after this application is done and she gets citizenship.

Well :rolleyes: all that about she saying NJ was temporary would have been a useful bit of information to add. Then yes she needs to go back to Seattle to interview when they call her. (What is her rationale for not wanting to move until the application is done? Anyway seems as she is going to have to move back to complete it.)

Sorry for not clarifying it before. You did not say if she needs to take English/ Civic test again in Seattle? also she has to go for in person interview again or they will just ask for proof of her residency in WA via mail?
Also, she will have to wait for 3 months in WA before she can claim WA residency in order to be eligible for naturalization?

I suggest she move to WA sooner the better if Naturalization is the goal. USCIS would send the new appointment notice at the new jurisdiction.

Whoever the OP is posting on behalf sounds confused. Changed her mind about staying in NJ and will go back to WA. Who is to say she won't decide to ultimately stay in jersey?

No she cannot appeal the application transfer if she herself told the IO that she doesn't intend to stay in NJ!!!

She will definitely have to do the Application over unless she can uproot herself and just move to WA rightaway. If not USCIS will consider the application abandoned.

Seems to me like a backfired attempt at gaming the system - my very first thought when I saw this post on another forum where it was originally posted before OP came to repost here.

N-400 current estimated processing time in Seattle is 14.5 to 19 months, while that of New Jersey is 8.5 to 17 months.

No honestly that was not the reason of moving from WA to NJ ...we did not even know/consider that Seattle takes longer time...now we know.

Further...we called USCIS customer care and rep. said your file is still in NJ ....we asked.. ...why would they put a notice in her online account that case is transferred to another filed office --..she said ...she does not see file moving to Seattle WA ...it is still at Mount Laurel NJ

That brings to another question..when do they actually transfer file from NBC to local interview(field ) office? Do they transfer on the date of interview notice or they transfer after the interview?

No honestly that was not the reason of moving from WA to NJ ...we did not even know/consider that Seattle takes longer time...now we know.

Further...we called USCIS customer care and rep. said your file is still in NJ ....we asked.. ...why would they put a notice in her online account that case is transferred to another filed office --..she said ...she does not see file moving to Seattle WA ...it is still at Mount Laurel NJ

That brings to another question..when do they actually transfer file from NBC to local interview(field ) office? Do they transfer on the date of interview notice or they transfer after the interview?
They would have to mail the physical file to the new interview location. Unless someone here works for USCIS. My guess that wo