USCIS sure takes their time.

Xenfinity

Registered Users (C)
So my mom and I had our interview over a month ago. During the interview the lady said we'd get some response in 30 days. It's been past that. We had our interview June 13th and we've heard nothing. I schedualed an infopass apointment for today. The officer basically told me to wait more. His words litterally "come back in a couple of months if you don't hear anything". This is insane, that they don't even know what's going on with a case. He said it was with an USCIS adjudication officer for processing. Is there anything I can do? Do I write my congressman or do I sue USCIS? I was really hoping to get this done by mid summer for college.

Xenfinity said:
So my mom and I had our interview over a month ago. During the interview the lady said we'd get some response in 30 days. It's been past that. We had our interview June 13th and we've heard nothing. I schedualed an infopass apointment for today. The officer basically told me to wait more. His words litterally "come back in a couple of months if you don't hear anything". This is insane, that they don't even know what's going on with a case. He said it was with an USCIS adjudication officer for processing. Is there anything I can do? Do I write my congressman or do I sue USCIS? I was really hoping to get this done by mid summer for college.

Are you kidding me? You're going to sue because it's been a month and 4 days you haven't heard back? Why don't you take a deep breath and relax.

This is horrible... They haven't denied us or approved. It's just beurocratic purgatory. So what have you guys done or tried?

Xenfinity said:
This is horrible... They haven't denied us or approved. It's just beurocratic purgatory. So what have you guys done or tried?

Dear Xenfinity,
I understand your frustration, but that's just how the system works. Do not get alarmed too soon - in your case it is simply to early. There are thousands of other applicants who had their interviews long before you did, and their cases are still pending. So just wait. I had to wait two months for my approval after I had my interview - and that's pretty much normal. If you hear nothing within 120 days, then you can file an inquiery with USCIS, or try contacting your congressman... If that doesn't work - go ahead and sue.

Dani said:
Dear Xenfinity,
I understand your frustration, but that's just how the system works. Do not get alarmed too soon - in your case it is simply to early. There are thousands of other applicants who had their interviews long before you did, and their cases are still pending. So just wait. I had to wait two months for my approval after I had my interview - and that's pretty much normal. If you hear nothing within 120 days, then you can file an inquiery with USCIS, or try contacting your congressman... If that doesn't work - go ahead and sue.

Well if nothing else immigrants are adjusting to life in America quickly. The answer to every inconvenience? Sue someone.

eddie_d said:
Well if nothing else immigrants are adjusting to life in America quickly. The answer to every inconvenience? Sue someone.

What's that supoose to mean? Eddie, we are not talking about every inconvinience here but the denial of right to reside and work legally. USCIS is gambling with peoples lives, and that's the problem. I am not saying they do it deliberatly, but while agents of bureaucratic apparatus digging for flows in our applications, our future is put on hold. It is extremely hard to start a new life in the country where you may not be permitted to stay. Hands of many applicants are simply tied because of the uncertainty. I am not arguing in favor of the thread starter, just trying to be objective. And yes, if other legal channels failed to resolve the situation, applicant has a right to sue. Of course, in case of the thread starter it is to early to stress out due to a very insufficient wait period.
:)

Am I missing something ?

I think, something's wrong with some people's perspectives and expectations.

We've seen so many cases here where people apply with some weird background stories, yet some expect USCIS officers to approve their case in a heartbeat.

We've seen so many cases here where people sent in incomplete information, each time a USCIS officer needs to file an RFE, mail being sent back and forth, the case being touched more than necessary, yet some expect them to work more efficiently.

We've seen so many people here showing up at DO's for appointments or Info-pass walk-ins yet being unprepared, lacking evidence, documents and whatnot, being send home just to get another appointment. Yet some people have nothing better to do than blaming USCIS for backlogs.

Since I don't know the background of this particular case I refuse to blame USCIS for any delay.

Furthermore, the "right to reside and work" is something the US is offering like a gift. And USCIS has not only the right but the obligation to check every single case. Some cases go smooth, others don't. For those who have to wait it's painful, but a little patience doesn't hurt. Especially not after 30 days.

This said, the officers answer "come back in a couple of months" is rightout ridiculous. I wonder what's wrong in this particular case, this DO, with this officer. I don't know the answers.

Dani said:
What's that supoose to mean? Eddie, we are not talking about every inconvinience here but the denial of right to reside and work legally. USCIS is gambling with peoples lives, and that's the problem. I am not saying they do it deliberatly, but while agents of bureaucratic apparatus digging for flows in our applications, our future is put on hold. It is extremely hard to start a new life in the country where you may not be permitted to stay. Hands of many applicants are simply tied because of the uncertainty. I am not arguing in favor of the thread starter, just trying to be objective. And yes, if other legal channels failed to resolve the situation, applicant has a right to sue. Of course, in case of the thread starter it is to early to stress out due to a very insufficient wait period.

If I sued every time I got bad treatment from a bureaucracy I'd be in court 24/7/365.

Where is it written anywhere that you (or me or anyone else here) have the right to become a permanent resident? And please point me to the section of law that says after your interview, you have any right to have a decision in 30, 60, 90, 900 or 9000 days. Do you know there are Mexicans who have waited for more than 10 years to get a green card legally? Should they be filing their suits as well?

This is the way the system works. It's not fun, it's not fast, and it can be frustrating - welcome to the world of dealing with government entities. :rolleyes: But that is what you signed up for fully knowing the deal. When I talked to someone at the USCIS, I was told the whole process could take a year. I had two choices: say the hell with it and go back home (which I was thinking of doing anyway but my wife wasn't too keen on living in Canada) or file the paperwork and wait till it's all done. The thought of suing the USCIS would never even have crossed my mind and it amazes me that it is mentioned here so often (well the board is run by a lawyer so maybe it doesn't amaze me that much).

The delay in approval changes based upon the cirucmstances of the applicant

So there is no standard time frame. The USCIS has 1000 of cases to deal with and alot of them are fraudulent, It is NOT a right for immigranst to reside and work in USA it is A privilage that can be given and taken away at the descretion of the Govt.

Not to say it is fair or right that things take so long, but tell me anytime you have went to a govt. office and gotten FAST friendly service?
Ever schedule an Appt. for the DMV? even with an appt. in some states you still wait 30 minutes.
With the immigration process changing dramaticaly and Illegal immigrants drowning out system resources with their fraud and criminal activity it is no surpirse that there is a delay in a lot of processes.

I would agree with others chill out 30 days is nothing to wait some people have waited (seperated from their loved) ones for over 12 months.

Maybe call your mommy or call Oprah. If that doesn't work write your congress person and file a complaint. Anyone can sue or anything but any judge would :p at your filing a frivolous law suit for having to wait a whole 30-45 days for a follow up answer.

Hello, well done EDDIE D, well put together Rex1960.. This is just an extension of gratitude of the US to grant immigrants the right to wk and live in the country... There is a saying "PATIENCE IS VIRTUE". We need 2 use it sometimes...

Jeez, thanks for ripping me a new one :mad: The only reason why I suggested sueing is because some people have done it on this board with results. And most of the new posts here are of people "I went in today and was approved!!!". I didn't know there were so many application delayed lurkers. You guys don't speak out about your case or it's buried in the forums. And notice I put it in the end of my post. It would be last resort. I asked for advice on what to do, to prepare myself. Thanks for turning this thread into a political bashing...

My case is as follows. My mother married a USC over 2 years ago. We fied our application last year. There were no RFE's. The only hickup we had was a very scornful immigration interview officer. I mean her second question after she asked for our documents was "did she pay you to marry her". My step dad paused in disbelief for a moment and flat out said no. If it were me I would antanganized her and asked for "respect" and such things. It really irritaded me. I have a stronger understanding because of my own serious relationship. Anyways I think it was because of that witch that the application is slow.

Oh and for the right we have for gaining permenent residence, we don't. The only right that exists is the right of USC or a permenent resident to sponser another party...

Dani said:

Thanks, I will do that. The reason why I needed it so bad was for college aid. But now since I'm going to a state college (I qualify for instate tution since I have a pending immigrant application) It's much cheaper. The only thing that's being delayed now is me wishing to go back to Brazil to throw an engagement party. We're thinking about doing that next summer, or if I get my green card early enough, this winter. Thanks Dani!

eddie_d said:
If I sued every time I got bad treatment from a bureaucracy I'd be in court 24/7/365.

Where is it written anywhere that you (or me or anyone else here) have the right to become a permanent resident? And please point me to the section of law that says after your interview, you have any right to have a decision in 30, 60, 90, 900 or 9000 days. Do you know there are Mexicans who have waited for more than 10 years to get a green card legally? Should they be filing their suits as well?

This is the way the system works. It's not fun, it's not fast, and it can be frustrating - welcome to the world of dealing with government entities. :rolleyes: But that is what you signed up for fully knowing the deal. When I talked to someone at the USCIS, I was told the whole process could take a year. I had two choices: say the hell with it and go back home (which I was thinking of doing anyway but my wife wasn't too keen on living in Canada) or file the paperwork and wait till it's all done. The thought of suing the USCIS would never even have crossed my mind and it amazes me that it is mentioned here so often (well the board is run by a lawyer so maybe it doesn't amaze me that much).

Eddie, don't get me wrong. I agree with you and others in saying that patience is the key. And yes, some cases are being delayed because of missing evidence and etc... But that's not the point here. The whole idea of lawsiute is appropriate only, like I said before, if other legal channels fail to resolve the issue. That includes numerous inquiries and congressional involvement. Myself, I had relatively easy ride with the whole process. However many other legal immigrants are existing between two realities without any clues what is going on with their status. And I am talking about applicants who did everything right - correctly filed their applications, submitted evidence, went to their interviews, etc... Sometimes those delays are primary cause of simple crerical mistakes on the behalf of USCIS. In those particular cases one has an option to seek other ways to adjust his/her status.
Besides, there's no need to attack anybody. People are posting here because they are in need for information and objective advise. The author of this topic was asking what his/her options were, and I think he/she already got a picture of what he/she should or shouldn't do. Cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Xenfinity said:
Jeez, thanks for ripping me a new one :mad:

see ... that's exactly what happened.

You left out the background of your case, your interview experience in that matter, and asked for advice. How in the world do you expect some fundamental help by leaving out more than 50% of the truth ??

Like I said, since I didn't know what was going on in that DO, with that IO or in that particular interview I refused to believe that it's USCIS' fault based on my own experience and on what I've read so far in this forum.
Your story, on the other hand, makes it sound different though. Ok.

Maybe they had a bunch of cases lately, where brazilian women came to the US under questionable circumstances. Who knows.
Maybe this specific officer had a bad day after she was being told by her supervisor to pay more attention to certain stories or just in general. Who knows.
Maybe something in your interview raised a red flag. Who knows.

Nevertheless, it sounds like you've been treated disrespectful and that's not ok. You have all the right to being treated with respect.

When the application goes by the book, you can ask for information regarding your case. When your application is rejected you have the right to appeal. And then there is "writ of mandamus" if USCIS doesn't work by the book.

Xenfinity said:
Thanks, I will do that. The reason why I needed it so bad was for college aid. But now since I'm going to a state college (I qualify for instate tution since I have a pending immigrant application) It's much cheaper. The only thing that's being delayed now is me wishing to go back to Brazil to throw an engagement party. We're thinking about doing that next summer, or if I get my green card early enough, this winter. Thanks Dani!

Dear Xenfinity,
No problem. Just so you know, I had to wait for two months after my interview to get an approval letter. The delay occured because of the background check. So, don't get alarmed too soon - just wait. You are near the end of the whole ordeal. And good luck!

Dani said:
But that's not the point here. The whole idea of lawsiute is appropriate only, like I said before, if other legal channels fail to resolve the issue. That includes numerous inquiries and congressional involvement.

The USCIS has a certain budget and limited resources. Every time someone sues because they have to wait a few days for an answer, a small chunk of those resources are used up and not used for processing cases. Who gets hurt as a result? Everyone else in line who has to wait just that much longer while the lawsuit is defended.

As a taxpayer it also angers me that my tax dollars are wasted defending lawsuits like these. It is part of the bigger problem of an over-litigious society and the fact that immigrants are trained from day 1 to sue anything that moves doesn't help matters.

Addie_Goodvibes said:
Ever schedule an Appt. for the DMV? even with an appt. in some states you still wait 30 minutes.
QUOTE]

Took me TWO DAYS to get my license. If you go to the DMV in CT you have to set aside at least half a day of your day to get your license, registration, etc.

eddie_d said:
The USCIS has a certain budget and limited resources. Every time someone sues because they have to wait a few days for an answer, a small chunk of those resources are used up and not used for processing cases. Who gets hurt as a result? Everyone else in line who has to wait just that much longer while the lawsuit is defended.

As a taxpayer it also angers me that my tax dollars are wasted defending lawsuits like these. It is part of the bigger problem of an over-litigious society and the fact that immigrants are trained from day 1 to sue anything that moves doesn't help matters.

Eddie, we are not talking about “a few days for an answer”. To sue because of just a few days of delay would be silly, wouldn't that be? I was refering to months and years. My apologies, but I don't quite get how lawsiutes filed by some applicants affect other applications? And how “immigrants are trained from day 1 to sue anything that moves?” Eddie, it's easy to critisize others especially if you were done with the whole process nicely and quickly (well, I don't know that, I just assume) but what is your advice to people who's been wating for a very long time (and I mean very long time)? I have a friend who came here long before I did ago as a spouse of USC, filed his documets, had interview and yet he still waiting for his GC, 4 years later. When he called the 1-800 number a couple of months ago they couldn't even locate his file! Don't you think he waited long enough?
Yes, lawsuites are waste of our money and should be pursued only as a last resort when people have no other options left. But we can't generalize and assume that all of them were filed for no reason. Each case is different.

Last edited by a moderator: