USCIS sure takes their time.

Let me explain to you then in very simple terms. Suppose the USCIS has $100 to spend annually. With that $100 they can hire 100 employees at $1 per employee. Now let's say they start off with 100 employees who only process visa applications. A few days after the OP's interview, she files a lawsuit. The USCIS needs to defend itself from that lawsuit so they go out and hire a lawyer. But they only have a budget of $100 still which means that they now have 99 case officers and 1 lawyer working. The next day another lawsuit is filed, USCIS needs another lawyer. So they are down to 98 case officers and 2 lawyers. Do you think the time for processing will NOT be affected?

Obviously this is a very rudimentary example, but it works the same way in real life. The USCIS is given a fixed annual budget. They can spend that either fighting lawsuits or processing cases. The more lawsuits filed, the more time/resources spent fighting lawsuits = less time spent processing cases = longer waits for the 99% of people who do not file lawsuits.

Dani said:
. My apologies, but I don't quite get how lawsiutes filed by some applicants affect other applications? QUOTE]

eddie_d said:
But they only have a budget of $100 still which means that they now have 99 case officers and 1 lawyer working.

Actually it will be more like 50 case workers and 1 lawyer...:) Lawyers make much more than a case worker :)

Xenfinity said:
Is there anything I can do? Do I write my congressman or do I sue USCIS?
First, contact your congressman and/or senator (but only after a few more months - 30 days is nothing). Later you could file a so-called 'mandamus' suit (read more on the web). In order to file it, one condition is that you must prove that you have made sufficient effort to contact USCIS before.

EricNeesGC said:
Actually it will be more like 50 case workers and 1 lawyer...:) Lawyers make much more than a case worker :)

I was keeping it simple, but you're right since the cost of a lawyer is significantly higher than a case worker, the effect it has on processing times is that much more pronounced.

They probably have full-time lawyers working for them, not as a per-case basis. Just like every other government office does, i.e. city hall.

payala said:
They probably have full-time lawyers working for them, not as a per-case basis. Just like every other government office does, i.e. city hall.

And you think they are free? Doesn't matter if it's per case or full time. There is money/resources spent on lawyers that deal with lawsuits. This is money/resources that is NOT spent on processing cases. Any way you spon it lawsuits lengthen the time for everyone else, includingthe suit filers.