USCIS Status

ronin1976

Registered Users (C)
Hello. I came to the US as a student . My F1 visa was for two years, which expired in June of 2002. I applied for a one year work permit thru my school right before I finished my studies. I got married to a USC in January of 2003 and I was granted a work permit in April of 2003. I got my 2-year GC stamped on my passport in Jauray of 2004.

What would be my status with the USCIS from the period I received my temporary work permit until I got married. And again what was my status in the period between I was married until I had my GC application approved. I am filling up an application for the Selective Service and I need to right down my what was my staus with the USCIS for every period of my stay in the US. Thank You!

Before you file ur green card, @ opt, your status was F1
After you filed your green card, your status was permanent resident pending..

Sounds to me you were out of status from the time your F-1 expired until you got your green card.

Not correct.

Even if your F1 visa stamp in your passport expired, but you maintained a valid I-20 and stayed a full time student (working on work permit through your school maintains your student status) your status during the time was F1 Student.

In that case the OP was never out of status , since a valid I-20 is required for OPT.
I guess they only approve OPT up to expiry of I-20? For example, they wouldn't approve a 1 year OPT if your I-20 expires 2 months into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You all for your replis. But I was looking for a job between the time I my F-1 visa expired and the time I applied for the Green Card. I was unemplyed during that period! Would that put me out of status? WOuld I be still considered as legal alien on F-1 visa?

Thank You all for your replis. But I was looking for a job between the time I my F-1 visa expired and the time I applied for the Green Card. I was unemplyed during that period! Would that put me out of status? WOuld I be still considered as legal alien on F-1 visa?

Between the time your F1 visa expired and the time you applied for your Green Card, did you have a valid OPT card? Even if you did not have a job, but were looking...you would be considered a F1 student. But if you had a gap after your OPT card expired, and you applied for your 485...then you were out of status.

Between the time your F1 visa expired and the time you applied for your Green Card, did you have a valid OPT card? Even if you did not have a job, but were looking...you would be considered a F1 student. But if you had a gap after your OPT card expired, and you applied for your 485...then you were out of status.

Yes I had the OPT between the the time F1 expired and the time I applied for my Green Card. I had a permanent work permit BEFORE the OPT expired.

Yes I had the OPT between the the time F1 expired and the time I applied for my Green Card. I had a permanent work permit BEFORE the OPT expired.

then your status was F1 between the time F1 expired and time you applied for your green card. If your permanent work is EAD associating to your pending 485 that was based on marriage, then your status was AOS (adjustment of status). Your status was not out of the status. You are fine.

I see you are filling up the application for the SS. How old were you when you enter USA and how old were you got your green card? It would help me determine if you needed to register Selective Service or not when you were a student. Here's the information: http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm. Some male non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service. For a more detailed list of which non-citizens must register, see Who Must Register - see Chart at this link: http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/WhoMustRegisterChart_7-23-08.pdf

then your status was F1 between the time F1 expired and time you applied for your green card. If your permanent work is EAD associating to your pending 485 that was based on marriage, then your status was AOS (adjustment of status). Your status was not out of the status. You are fine.

I see you are filling up the application for the SS. How old were you when you enter USA and how old were you got your green card? It would help me determine if you needed to register Selective Service or not when you were a student. Here's the information: http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm. Some male non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service. For a more detailed list of which non-citizens must register, see Who Must Register - see Chart at this link: http://www.sss.gov/PDFs/WhoMustRegisterChart_7-23-08.pdf

I was 24 when I first entered the US and 27 ( Almost 28) when my Green Card was stamped on my passort!

I was 24 when I first entered the US and 27 ( Almost 28) when my Green Card was stamped on my passport!

then you don't need to apply for SS if you have all documents including I-20, opt, us visas on your passport to prove that you are not required to register because you were on f1 status before 27 so bring all documents to the citizenship interview if you can. according to Bobsymth (member of this forum), all entries and visa status are on the USCIS computer system. Since I understand that you need to apply for SS to be safe, you can apply.