usa permenant resident married to a canadian citizen.. need to get spouse to usa soon

gc99999

Registered Users (C)
I'm a usa permenant resident married to a canadian citizen. I know that student visa, H1 visa and TN visa may not be possible as these may be rejected under intent to immigrate.

Also If I apply for her green card now, it take 4 yrs for her to get it... which is too long and also during that period she cannot travel to usa.

Would any of you know of possible ways by which my spouse can legally live or work in the usa ? :confused:

why cant she travel to US -if u apply for green card.
as a canadian citizen whe can always travel to US. if she needs to work untill she gets her PR - she can apply for h1 visa

Last edited by a moderator:
Her job catgory (skill set) is not listed in the H1 category, so I can't apply for her H1 (applns that start in Oct).

I read online that as a us permenant resident if I apply for her green card petition now (i.e. family based green card under category 2A), she will not be able to travel to usa until she gets to the (3rd stage of the green card processing) i.e. the I-485 adjustment of status .... that could be 3 to 4 yrs.
check this link http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/spouselive.htm

A US citizen can apply for a petition for a green card for their non resident spouse and simultaneously apply for a K-3 visa which will allow the spouse to enter usa quickly (probably 6-12 months) and after their spouse arrives in the us, then can directly file for the 3rd stage of green card i.e. I-485 adjust status.

I have another 2 yrs before I can apply for my us citizenship and 1yr thereafter to get the citizenship.

I may be in a catch-22 situation for the next 3-4 yrs. I will probably will confirm all of this with a lawyer.

Appreciate if you have any inputs/guidance.

JoeF said:
As visitors, yes. But not as somebody with immigration intent.

yes as visitors. not to come and live - i think there is a limit of 6 mos or so - continous stay. STILL they can visit USA

There are a lot of permanent residents facing similar issues. Here is a list of websites/articles pertaining to the same.

http://www.unitefamilies.com/learn/details.html

http://www.unitefamilies.com/news/newsitems/nl-2006-02.pdf

http://immigrationforum.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=153

http://seacoastnh.com/Today/Editor_at_Large/No_Family_Value_for_Immigrants/

Also if you any of you would like, you could sign a petition to help support permanent residents trying to get their families to the us.

http://petitiononline.com/unitefam/petition.html

If the person is a Canadian Citizen you might want to investigate TN Visa status.
All you need is an offer letter, and a degree.

JoeF said:
Well, TN doesn't allow immigration intent, so it wouldn't work in this case.

While you are absolutely correct that the TN does not explicitly permit immigrant intent, you should be aware that the TN is considerably looser in its requirements than a lot of other non-immigrant statuses. For example, a TN holder need not maintain a foreign residence, and in fact NSC will not deny a TN renewal even with a filed or approved I-140, and has provided memoranda to this effect.

Essentially, if the TN holder can demonstrate that they do not intend to immigrate within the 12 months of the current TN, that should be enough to get it - but it's up to the individual CBP officer at the POE. Once the TN has been obtained, a renewal might be obtained with a pending or approved I-130; but realistically the wait times for FB2 are so long that there is NO POINT to filing an I-130; I would just wait until the PR spouse is naturalized and then file the I-130 as an IR.

Her skillset is not listed under the TN visa job category. But Thanks!! a million for the wonderful advice you all poured in.

JoeF said:
I am very well aware of that, and I have never stated otherwise.
Do you happen to have a link for these memoranda? Would be helpful to have that.

Joef,
You need to have access to AILA Infonet to see the actual memo online. I think you have to be a member of AILA to have access, but here is a copy I got from another legal website:

"The fact that an alien is the beneficiary of an approved I-140 petition may not be, in and of itself, a reason to deny an application for admission, readmission, or extension of stay [under TN status] if the alien’s intent is to remain in the United States temporarily. Nevertheless, because the Service must evaluate each application on a case-by-case basis with regard to the alien’s intent, this factor may be taken into consideration along with other relevant factors every time that a TN nonimmigrant applies for admission, readmission or a new extension of stay. Therefore, while it is our opinion that a TN nonimmigrant may apply for readmission in the TN classification, if the inspecting officer determines that the individual has abandoned his or her temporary intent, that individual’s application for admission as a TN nonimmigrant may be refused. "
Letter from Yvonne M. LaFleur, Chief, INS Business & Trade Services Branch (posted on AILA InfoNet as “I-140 Filing Not Dispositive for TN” (June 18, 1996)).

In short, the filing of an immigrant petition (and therefore a labor certification) need not disallow an individual from applying for TN status.

The USCIS Nebraska Service Center, which holds sole jurisdiction over extensions of TN status filed within the United States, recently agreed that:
"After considerable discussion between the Nebraska Service Center and AILA's NSC Liaison Committee, the NSC now indicates that the filing of an immigrant petition is simply one factor to consider in the adjudication of a TN extension, and should not automatically result in a denial. The NSC, which has exclusive jurisdiction over TN applications made on Form I-129, had previously indicated that NSC adjudicators were being told to deny TN applications if an I-140 immigrant petition has been filed on the individual's behalf. The basis of the denial had been that the individual no longer has a nonimmigrant intent."
AILA InfoNet, “NSC Backs Off I-140/TN Policy Change” (posted on AILA InfoNet at Doc. No. 02111431 (Nov. 14, 2002).

Other legal quotes relative to the question of immigrant intent.

As one court put it, “there is a great difference between wanting to stay and intending to stay and proof of a desire to stay is not proof of an intent to stay.”
Choy v. Barber, 279 F.2d 642, 645-46 (9th Cir. 1960)

"a desire to immigrate to the United States, should opportunity arise, is not inconsistent with nonimmigrant intent"
citing Brownell v. Carija, 254 F.2d 78, 80 (D.C. Cir. 1957)

if I file for a taxid for my spouse (requirement for married filing seprately.. thats what irs representative said I should file as) and get it. Is the tax id information shared with immigration ? if so would that mean when she travels to the us by air or land. The immigration officer at port of entry, when he makes a check on his computer, can findout that she is married to a legal permenant resident & therefore deny her entry ?

gc99999 said:
The immigration officer at port of entry, when he makes a check on his computer, can findout that she is married to a legal permenant resident & therefore deny her entry ?

At the very worst, he'd discover she has a US ITIN. Which means nothing from an immigration standpoint. My parents have had one for years.