• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

USA is worth to go or no

But then you raise the issue you raised earlier about medicare benefiting those not actually paying contributions.

Without intending to push the subject any further (lol) ... just like you, I do not actually have any problems with people benefiting without paying into the system, as far as basic health care is concerned and for as long as the Federal Government steps in to actually regulate the medical "industry" ... as currently it seems it is completely profit oriented, which is plain wrong.

What I DO have an issue with is, that those paying into the system (via Medicare tax) to support others, should at least also be covered ... yet not only do they support those not paying in, but those paying in will have to purchase their own, completely inflated health plans on top of that. THAT is what I think is unfair. It works in Australia, why not in America?

Without intending to push the subject any further (lol) ... just like you, I do not actually have any problems with people benefiting without paying into the system, as far as basic health care is concerned and for as long as the Federal Government steps in to actually regulate the medical "industry" ... as currently it seems it is completely profit oriented, which is plain wrong.

What I DO have an issue with is, that those paying into the system (via Medicare tax) to support others, should at least also be covered ... yet not only do they support those not paying in, but those paying in will have to purchase their own, completely inflated health plans on top of that. THAT is what I think is unfair. It works in Australia, why not in America?

Yeah I see your points and I imagine we are basically in agreement.

However, just as a point the medicare tax is unfair you say because you don't benefit from it. The same could be said for most social programs, such as unemployment, Fannie Mae and so on. It really is the same in the UK also. For example. I pay plenty of tax to cover unemployment benefits of various types, most of which I would not be able to claim because I have savings that would be above their limits (and also I wouldn't bother claiming because the benefits wouldn't begin to cover my bills). Same could be said for moeny I pay for libraries - I would never use them, but plenty of people do and it is therefore a public resource I am happy to pay for. So - I pay for benefits I can't benefit from but I do so in the knowledge that I am lucky and have to do my bit to provide safety nets/facilities for those who have been less lucky (so far!).

Momo and Simon,I believe the cv template would be beneficial to me as well so guess I have to PM both of you with my email

Friends whoever has sent me their e-mail addresses on my inbox, I will e-mail you the CV template after about an hour and a half of posting this.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
Entry Checked - 1st May 2012
Forms Sent To KCC - 10th May 2012
Received By KCC - 12th May 2012
Confirmation From KCC - 25th May 2012 after I sent them an email
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
Police Clearance (TZ) - 13th June 2013
Police Clearance (UK) - 21st June 2013
Medicals - Completed 24th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013
Bank Statements - 22nd July 2013
Interview - Wednesday, August 7th 2013 @ 8am - US Embassy Tanzania
Visa Pick up - Hopefully August 11th 2013
Departure Date - August 17th 2013
Port of Entry - Washington Dulles

Friends whoever has sent me their e-mail addresses on my inbox, I will e-mail you the CV template after about an hour and a half of posting this.

Case No - DV2013AF0007XXXX (applied the first time and got it the first time - lucky me!)
2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

so bro, you did not answer me

momo we will play tennis there man !

Pricedriss, I do indeed play tennis. At one point I was about 4 levels away from the ATP Tour but I didn't pursue it because it was too competitive and I couldn't compromise on education :)

We can definitely have a practice session in the USA. I haven't played this month because of Ramadan but I'm hoping to get back on the court for at least a week before I leave for America as I need to crash shed some weight lol

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

Excellent reading/posts you guys have and it gives some real insight into comparisons.

I'll share mine and why I think the US is cheaper:

Electricity (and half the bloody time we don't have electricity) - $200 per month

Diesel for generator (when there is no electricity) - $150 per month

Water - $30 per month (this is the only cheap utility)

Groceries/Veggies/Fruits - $1,500 per month easily is what my mother told me she spends

Fuel for my car - $250 per month (about $1.5 per litre)

Fuel for dad's car - $250 per month (about $1.5 per litre)

Fuel for mom's car - $150 per month (about $1.5 per litre)

Mobile phone bill postpaid for me (phone 1 and phone 2 combined) - $350 - this includes phone and data (both crap service)

Internet (dedicated fibre optic shared between my home, my branch office and my factories) - $1,600 (bloody rip-off for 2.5Mbps)

Landline at home - $50 per month (we mostly use mobiles because landlines don't work half the time)

Restaurant meals - it varies from place to place; we pay between $80 to $100 depending on where we go

Home 1 (three bedroom villa) - bought in 1998 for $177,000

Home 2 (three bedroom villa in the same compound as home 1) - bought in 2007 for $250,000

Today's value of home 1 and home 2 combined plus over 1,500sqm land space (both houses in the same compound) - approximately $2,000,000 (real estate is nuts in Tanzania)

Health insurance per person (AETNA) - $2,500 per year. BUPA used to cost us $7,000 per person per year

Domestic workers - $800 per month

I still say we don't get our money's worth in Tanzania and things are too overpriced. If people tell me the USA is expensive then in my opinion Tanzania is over-expensive considering half the stuff isn't available here or is and isn't properly provided.

From a general overview I say the US is cheaper even after taxes and all that stuff. Take the internet charges we pay here; that much money is a monthly mortgage payment in the USA!

There was an e-mail that was being circulated some months ago about how much is needed to live a comfortable life and it was ascertained that for a good middle class life, the take-home should be net $6,000 per month which is obscene for Tanzania.

2nd NL - 14th June 2013
I-134 - 16th July 2013

What are you talking about?
You're telling us that in the country where the GDP is $559 per capita you are spending ~$5000 per month?
Do you know where you live?
I have a friend from Tanzania who is studying in my country (Serbia) and he told me that the monthly pay in Tanzania is less than $150.
So what do you do for living there? :D