US visitor Visa (B2) approved for mother at Chennai consulate

jc8018

Registered Users (C)
US visitor visa (B2) approved for my mother at Chennai Consulate today

Mother had visited US before, but back in 2003 for 6 months. Her visa was in old passport.

Consular officer asked very simple questions such as

(i) Why are you visiting USA
(ii) How long you are going to be there
(iii) How many kids do you have and where are they
(iv) Do you own any properties in India
(v) What is immigration status of you son (US citizen)

My mother said noone even looked at any of the supporting documents I sent her !

Interview lasted less than 5 minutes and she was told visa will arrive by mail

cheers

Hi,
Did you sponsor your mother or she was self sponsored. I am also US citizen & want to apply for visitor visa for my parents.
Thanks!
US visitor visa (B2) approved for my mother at Chennai Consulate today

Mother had visited US before, but back in 2003 for 6 months. Her visa was in old passport.

Consular officer asked very simple questions such as

(i) Why are you visiting USA
(ii) How long you are going to be there
(iii) How many kids do you have and where are they
(iv) Do you own any properties in India
(v) What is immigration status of you son (US citizen)

My mother said noone even looked at any of the supporting documents I sent her !

Interview lasted less than 5 minutes and she was told visa will arrive by mail

cheers

Hi,
Did you sponsor your mother or she was self sponsored. I am also US citizen & want to apply for visitor visa for my parents.
Thanks!

I sponsored her. What I meant to say is she is a widow and had nothing much in her name. A house which my dad built is in her and my brothers joint name. She had no proper documents. No bank balance to speak of. So i sent a form (i-131) which shows my finances and also I wrote that I take care of her.

Thanks for the correction TC !

Have the exact same situation - similar questions. My mother, who is a widow now, got a 10 year visitors visa renewed (her previous 10 yr visa expires next month). I (US citizen) gave an affidavit of support, but mentioned in the application that she will pay for the ticket. The VO (a female) asked if she has properties, when she said she has + rental properties. The VO for some reason asked more questions about my deceased father than any other issue. She did not look at any documents either. The interview was in Telugu in Hyd consulate.