US Passport validity for India travel

pb74

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I realized that my son's US passport is expiring on Nov 14, 2017. We are planning to travel to India from ~ Jul 15 to Aug 11. Can he travel to India and fly back to USA on these dates; or does his passport need to be valid for 6 months from date of travel?

If the passport needs to be renewed, do you know how soon I will be able to get the new passport? Also while booking the air tickets, would the agent/airline ask for passport number, and would it be issue if the passport number changes between the air booking & flying date?

Thanks in advance.

Does he have OCI? If so, the passport validity is fine.

If not, you can get an expedited passport at a passport office in one day with proof of travel.

While booking, no passport number is required.

Yes, he has OCI.

The U Visa is stamped on previous passport (not current). So (maybe) it's another issue.

Btw , can you please point me to the rule about OCI/passport that you are talking about. I just hope all the airlines, airport crew, and immigration officers would acknowledge this rule.

Thanks for your reply.

From the link, it seems that passport needs to be valid for 6 months. Also U Visa needs to be transfetred to new passport if the person is less than 20 years of age.

Yes, I would get your son a new passport. However, people have written about their experience using the same OCI card and carrying old and new passports without issues, so you don't have to do that apparently - immigration don't care. Search through the forum.

Hi, I canceled my travel plans to India. I am getting the passport renewed through regular channel.

One question about form DS-11. It needs mother's name. It has 2 columns: One for first name & middle name, the second for "birth last name".
My wife's middle name has changed after marriage. Should I enter her middle name before marriage or the one after marriage :)

---

Added later....

Btw my son's birth certificate has her full name after marriage, and also her last name at her birth (i.e. before marriage). So his birth certificate does not have her old middle name. And this is one of the proof we are submitting.

Also we will submit our driving licenses which has her current middle & last names. We will not be submitting her birth certificate which would have old middle & last names!

Why'd you cancel your trip instead of getting a same-day passport at an office? Do you live really far from one?

I don't think they care about her old first names, just her maiden last name. So, list her current names, and just give her maiden last name in the application form.

cafeconleche, the decision to cancel the trip was based on other circumstances. Thanks for your help so far.