US naturalized citizen giving birth outside US

We ARE as someone else stated debating this whole thing to death. You that's what i like about this board, we may debate but that's how you find out so much information you didn't even know.:D

In one of the questions on the civics test it clearly states.

Natural born, not natualized citizen can become president.
Have to been living in the US for at least 14 years.
At least 35 Years of age.
People who obtained citizenship at birth but were born outside the US are not considered "naturalized".

Hi boatbod,

You're right, it can be read your way. I would also say that either a call to the State Department or perhaps checking the adjudicators manual to see if it gives guidance on how to interpret the years would be good.

I don't recall anything in the rules saying the USC parent had to have 5yrs residency AS A CITIZEN, just that they needed to be a citizen and have been resident for 5 yrs. To me, that sounds like GC residency should count too. Maybe it'd be worth calling the state dept or your local consulate to check.

I checked the field manual and it doesn't specifically mention whether the years of residence have to be as citizen or it could be also as an immigrant. The law is not clear on this either, so it is likely that the rule can be interpreted as boatbod pointed. However, it would be good to find a specific case, either from someone who has gone through the experience or a case that was argued in court.

So, if boatbod is right, and considering that you had to spend at least 5 years to apply for naturalization it would seem that your baby would be a U.S. citizen.

So, if boatbod is right, and considering that you had to spend at least 5 years to apply for naturalization it would seem that your baby would be a U.S. citizen.
Not really, because the 5 year requirement for the mother to pass citizenship to her child is for 5 years of physical presence in the US, whereas the 5 year requirement for citizenship is for continuous residence, out of which 2.5 years is physical presence.

birth of baby abroad

I am in the similar kind of situation. I have only stayed for 3 days in US after I obtained my citizenship and I am expecting a baby in a month which I am going to deliver outsise US. I am a citizen whereas my husband is not. I have lived in US for abt 12 years before getting the citizenship, when I was above the age of 14. I am still trying to find out if the 5 years of stay needed in the country, to get the citizenship for the baby, can be as GC holder/immigrant status or does it have to be as a citizen. has anybody found any enlightening docs on this issue yet.?
is there a number I can to verify

I don't recall anything in the rules saying the USC parent had to have 5yrs residency AS A CITIZEN, just that they needed to be a citizen and have been resident for 5 yrs. To me, that sounds like GC residency should count too. Maybe it'd be worth calling the state dept or your local consulate to check.

What if you just go to American embassy abroad and give birth to your child, you just have to hire a good doctor. J.K. I understand it is a tough situation about your child's future.

I am in the similar kind of situation. I have only stayed for 3 days in US after I obtained my citizenship and I am expecting a baby in a month which I am going to deliver outsise US. I am a citizen whereas my husband is not. I have lived in US for abt 12 years before getting the citizenship, when I was above the age of 14. I am still trying to find out if the 5 years of stay needed in the country, to get the citizenship for the baby, can be as GC holder/immigrant status or does it have to be as a citizen. has anybody found any enlightening docs on this issue yet.?
is there a number I can to verify

If anybody knows, they are not talking...

Probably best if you call someone with responsibility for this at the State Dept and ask them.

If you have spent (and can prove) more than 5 years physically in the US and you are a citizen, your child born overseas will be a US citizen. Your 5 years do not need to spent as a US citizen.

I am in the similar kind of situation. I have only stayed for 3 days in US after I obtained my citizenship and I am expecting a baby in a month which I am going to deliver outsise US. I am a citizen whereas my husband is not. I have lived in US for abt 12 years before getting the citizenship, when I was above the age of 14.