US Green Card and Canadian PR

ls_gcard

Registered Users (C)
Hello!

I would greatly appreciate your take on the following matter:
· My US green card was approved recently and I now have the temporary stamp in my passport.
· I was also approved a while ago for Canadian PR - however, I never landed.
· I was thinking of landing in Canada for a few days (and coming right back to the US) to preserve the Canadian PR.

1) Do you think I would have problems going to Canada or more importantly, coming back to the US?

2) On your way back to the US, would INS ask about my status in Canada? If they do, what is the best way of responding to such a question?

4) Can the INS cause problems with my green card or at time of naturalization based on landing in Canada?

5) I was especially interested if people in a similar situation as mine have been hassled at the US point of entry.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I'm in a same situation are you are. I have a PR of Canada since 3 and half years. I got the GC yesterday and US immigration office told me you can not keep two PR. You have to choose between one.

Did find answers to your questions?? let me know.

Thanks,
Mitesh

Have US GC, landing for Canada PR

Any updates or experience on the questions below?
I am in the same situation, have GC and Canada PR visa in passport (expires in a month).

Need to land and most important re-enter US without problems.

ls_gcard said:
Hello!
· My US green card was approved recently and I now have the temporary stamp in my passport.
· I was thinking of landing in Canada for a few days (and coming right back to the US) to preserve the Canadian PR.

1) Do you think I would have problems going to Canada or more importantly, coming back to the US?

2) On your way back to the US, would INS ask about my status in Canada? If they do, what is the best way of responding to such a question?

4) Can the INS cause problems with my green card or at time of naturalization based on landing in Canada?

5) I was especially interested if people in a similar situation as mine have been hassled at the US point of entry.

Thank you.

ls_gcard said:
Hello!

-------------- if the landing date has not expired then fax and send letter to them and inform that you are not intrested in landing and request for the ROLF back, you may get back the ROLF if you write to them before the landing date expires
-------------------as you have US GC and if you land now in Canada After getting US GC then may face problems entring US, becase landing in Canada after US GC shows your intention to be permanent resident of canada
----------problem coming back to US. Canada has no problem as they need Laborers
--------------- they can question your intent and by landing in Canada AFTER US GC clearly shows your Intent to live in Canada, they can take away your US GC
-------------- I dont think you will be admitted to US after you land in Canada having US GC

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thank you.