US Green Card and Canadian Permanent Residence

ls_gcard

Registered Users (C)
Hello:

I would greatly appreciate your take on the following matter:

· My US green card was approved recently and I now have the temporary GC stamp in my passport.
· I was also approved a while ago for Canadian PR - however, I never landed.
· I was thinking of landing in Canada for a few days (and coming right back to the US) to preserve the Canadian PR.

1) Do you think I would have problems going to Canada or more importantly, coming back to the US?

2) On your way back to the US, would INS ask about my status in Canada? If they do, what is the best way of responding to such a question?

4) Can the INS cause problems with my green card or at time of naturalization based on landing in Canada?

5) I was especially interested if people in a similar situation as mine have been hassled at the US point of entry/ if anyone in a similar position

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thank you.

congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but sorry for the one to bring u bad news.
in some cases (hearsay) i have heard that if INS knows that u have candian PR they may just cancel ur GC.

so i think u should make a choice and stick to it.
ofcourse depending on mood and what not.....a lot of people go through the border without any problems

it goes something like this..............you can have two processings going on at the same time (GC and PR) but even have one solid. (either GC or PR) and other one still in processing stage. but you cant be a permanenet resident for two countries (under NAFTA) u cnat even have two driving licenses (US and Canada)

TheEnquirer,

What if some one had PR and H1 and in 2 years got GC, what would be the status in US and Canada

What would be considered solid??

Thanks

shahabraja said:
TheEnquirer,

What if some one had PR and H1 and in 2 years got GC, what would be the status in US and Canada

What would be considered solid??
---- if you have Canada PR and working in US on H1 then no problem for you if you have filed US GC, once you get US GC it will be AFTER Canada PR and US has nothing to do with your Canada PR, After you get US Green Card you need to meet Residency requirement for US Permanent. the Canada PR will become automaticaly void as you did not stay in Canada for 3 years after landing in any 5 years. if one has Canada PR and later gets US Green Card, dont try to enter Canada as Canada PR becase they may report it to USCIS and it can create problems for US GC, better enter Canada as US green Card holder and enter US as US green Card holder. if at POE the US officer loooks at the Canada immigration stamp in your passport he may ask you questions better inform him that you no more stay in Canada and you got US GC AFTER Canada PR and you are staying/working in US and maintaining US residency rules. he may scare you that he will enter some info in USCIS computer that you have Canada PR, let him do it. if you have both Canada PR Card and US GC better abondon Canada PR and inform him that you have abondned Canada PR as you are not staying in Canada and not having any ties with Canada and you dont know where to report that you are no more Canada PR and dont want to be Canada PR or say that you talked to Canada consulate in US and they told you that if you dont stay in Canada and dont pay tax in Canada and dont have apartment in Canada your PR status is autumaticly abondned.
** last week one person who had Canada PR Card and later got US green Card entred Canada as Canada PR showing Canada PR card at border post in Naigera Falls, no problem entring Canada, when he came back to US he showed both the Cards( Canada PR Card and US GC) he was given warning by US border post that he cannot be PR of US and PR of Canada at the same time, he said that he wants to abonden Canada PR, they took his Canada PR Card and told him that they will give it to Canada immigration and the person came back to US
Thanks

TheEnquirer said:
congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but sorry for the one to bring u bad news.
in some cases (hearsay) i have heard that if INS knows that u have candian PR they may just cancel ur GC.

so i think u should make a choice and stick to it.
ofcourse depending on mood and what not.....a lot of people go through the border without any problems

it goes something like this..............you can have two processings going on at the same time (GC and PR) but even have one solid. (either GC or PR) and other one still in processing stage. but you cant be a permanenet resident for two countries (under NAFTA) u cnat even have two driving licenses (US and Canada)
Thanks for your reply.

1) I only want to get the Canadian PR to help out a relative in India who is applying for Canadian PR (he will get some points because of me).

I was thinking of going to Canada this weekend for a few days - and coming right back. I don't intend to go to Canada on a regular basis at all.

Do you think I could still have problems on the way back to the US?

2) I know that US immigration will be at the Canadian airport itself. Do they usually ask about the immigration status in Canada?

3) Has anyone actually lost their GC because of landing for Canadian PR?

4) If someone files US taxes as a resident, has a house in the US and family ties and just goes to Canada for a few days - wouldn't that be a pretty tough case for the INS to make?

Thanks

ls_gcard said:
Thanks for your reply.

1) I only want to get the Canadian PR to help out a relative in India who is applying for Canadian PR (he will get some points because of me).

I was thinking of going to Canada this weekend for a few days - and coming right back. I don't intend to go to Canada on a regular basis at all.

-----no problems if you have valid US visa
2) I know that US immigration will be at the Canadian airport itself. Do they usually ask about the immigration status in Canada?
----no
3) Has anyone actually lost their GC because of landing for Canadian PR?
------ i have not read any post
4) If someone files US taxes as a resident, has a house in the US and family ties and just goes to Canada for a few days - wouldn't that be a pretty tough case for the INS to make?
--------- you are residing in US no problem( dont apply for Canada drving licence)
Thanks

Thanks for the quick reply ginnu.
===============================
In your response to

====================================

I wanted to check if INS could refuse to allow entry if they see the Canadian permanent residence visa stamp?
Is there anything else they could do to hassle me?

I am just trying to figure out all the negatives about landing in Canada.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
ls_gcard said:
Thanks for the quick reply ginnu.
===============================
In your response to

---------------- when his/her Interview will come after 2-3 years he has to provide your Address of Canada( i hope you will get US GC and will be staying in US)

====================================

I wanted to check if INS could refuse to allow entry if they see the Canadian permanent residence visa stamp?
---------no problem, they dont care about Canada immigration stamp or landing stamp/ visa in passport, one of my friend who had applied Canada PR and was approved in 2004 landed in Canada September 2004 and came back to US second day no questions asked (he landed in toronto), later he also got Canada PR card that was sent to him by his friend from Canada, remember when he landed his US GC was pending, few days back his I-485 got approved and he went to local USCIS office to get his passport stamped and got the passport stamped and they did not even look at Canada immigration stamp.
Is there anything else they could do to hassle me?
--no
I am just trying to figure out all the negatives about landing in Canada.

Thanks for your help

Ginnu

Just to clarify - I already have my US Green Card. I wanted to land in Canada for a few days to preserve my Canadian PR (I haven't landed in Canada before). I was planning on staying in Canada for a few days and coming right back to the US.

I don't plan on visiting Canada frequently after this trip.

My main question was if INS would care that I have both the US GC and Canadian PR and what kind of troubles they could create (You may have thought that my US GC was still pending).

Do the Canadian authorities share their list of PR with the INS?

I also read in your earlier post that a friend of yours shows both the US GC and Canadian PR on the way back to the US and got into trouble. Wouldn't it be better to simply show the US GC on the way back?

Thanks

ls_gcard said:
Ginnu

Just to clarify - I already have my US Green Card.
I wanted to land in Canada for a few days to preserve my Canadian PR (I haven't landed in Canada before).
------ if you have US GC and later got Canada PR it may create problems becase they(USCIS) may think that you are going to stay in Canada and that that is the reason you are Landing in Canada. your last action is to take the Canada PR AFTER US GC, talk to good lawyer or post in Canada related thread. I am not expert in that.
I was planning on staying in Canada for a few days and coming right back to the US.
---- if you enter Canada with US GC then no problem but you are going to Land or take up Canada Permanent residency AFTER the US GC
I don't plan on visiting Canada frequently after this trip.

My main question was if INS would care that I have both the US GC and Canadian PR and what kind of troubles they could create (You may have thought that my US GC was still pending).
-------------- they may warn you not to keep US and Canada PR at the same time and may ask you to surrunder one
Do the Canadian authorities share their list of PR with the INS?
---NO
I also read in your earlier post that a friend of yours shows both the US GC and Canadian PR on the way back to the US and got into trouble.
----- that is true , he did a mistake of showing both the Cards
Wouldn't it be better to simply show the US GC on the way back?
-YES

Thanks

So did u finally land in canada ? I'm in the similar situation, have US GC and about to land in Mid may in Canada. Please share experience.

what is the prupose of jsut landing in canada.
dont they have similar requirements as in US that u have to stay in canada for so and so period????

in other words if ur not planning to go abck to canada and if u might lose the canadian PR why risk landing?????????????

Canada is bit lenient as far as residency goes. To maintain status you have to be in Canada for 2 years out of last 5. So basically after getting Canada PR, you have 3 years three to think and decide about moving to Canada.

canada_or_usa said:
Canada is bit lenient as far as residency goes. To maintain status you have to be in Canada for 2 years out of last 5. So basically after getting Canada PR, you have 3 years three to think and decide about moving to Canada.

----------AND even if you stay more than 3 years out of Canada still you can enter Canada, many who enter canada after 3 years lie that they went out of Canada last week and returning HOME.

Guys,

I am also in similar situation and have same concerns like ls_gcard.

I got my greencard. I also have canadian PR approved, but never landed.

If anyone land to canada using PR (having US GC) please post your experience.

I still have time upto june for landing. If there is no problem, then i would like to land at least once just to keep canadian PR as back up with me ( at least I spent 2 years for canadian PR. Do not want to loose my effort).

I'm in same situation. Supposed to land by end of May in order to keep canadian pr. I guess IS_CarD is the best person to advise since he may have landed by now.

I checked with my lawyer that did my US GC, he says there is no problem as you'll still be able to demonstrate ties to US, ie Job, house, etc. Only way u risk GC is when u cannot demonstrate that u spend moost of your time here. it will still be good to know from someone who has gone thru the landing process.

I do not have any reason to have canadian PR. But if there is no harm, I just want to have it.

But I do not want to put myself in any trouble with my USA GC by any chance.

I would like to suggest every one who has US GC and Canadian PR, not to waste your time and efforts on Canadian PR, just stick to one (US GC)

You folks are taking un necessary risk with no advantage, If you have US GC then you are cool, US has lot more opportunities and you will be US citizen in 5 years on other hand Canada has very few opportunities and even getting canadian passport you have to move to US to find better work, few of friends are doing this now who have Canadian passport but works in US on TN so no point wasting you time and money if you already have US GC?