US Citizenship - what are my chances ?

I am a newbie on this forum so can't offer anything on the immigration side. But from what I know about taxes and worldwide income, if you are a permanent Resident or citizen-you have to declare worldwide income. Now how it is taxed is dependent on many different treaties/categories-but you have to declare it. Just be careful and get a good attorney and an accountant!

well the things is that you try and follow all the guidelines as much as possible. sometimes there are circumstances that you are forced to walk that thin line.

by the time i go for the interview it will be almost a year that i am back in US and working, isnt that enough intent that i want to live in the US ?

Thanks

No that is not enough intent if you already broke residency by moving and working outside the US like you did. I think you might have a interesting time trying to prove this to the IO.

Just hope the IO doesn't determine you abandoned your Green Card while you did that either, or you could be moving back to your home country permenantly...

Truedesi,
I have not reported any income from India in my taxes. And have been filing taxes as a US resident all the time.

If you're going to file for citizenship, file amended returns and report this income asap. The IRS taxes permanent residents (not just US citizens) on their WORLDWIDE income.

No that is not enough intent if you already broke residency by moving and working outside the US like you did. I think you might have a interesting time trying to prove this to the IO.

Just hope the IO doesn't determine you abandoned your Green Card while you did that either, or you could be moving back to your home country permenantly...

warlord,

i have come across people being denied citizenship for lack of continuous residency, but never come across anyone being deported for lack of continous residency, which i guess you are trying to say CAN happen

What warlord is saying is that hopefully the IO won't consider you working in India as an abandonment of your LPR status, and therefore removal since you would be found to be out of status.

What warlord is saying is that hopefully the IO won't consider you working in India as an abandonment of your LPR status, and therefore removal since you would be found to be out of status.

Yes. IO's can vary and while many will not persue the 'abandonment' of the Green Card path and just deny the N-400 there are some that may follow up on the abandonment issue.

It's just impossible to tell since it is up to the individual IO. I have heard more cases of people just being denied their N-400 then those that have been classifed as abandoning the Green Card. However, it does happen so you would be taking that risk...