US citizenship applicants...please help! when to leave sponsoring employer.

Obongo case

dcmetro, any luck?
I found a similar case by a subscriber to this forum his name is Obongo, I hope this is of help.

Any body else left his employer soon after the Green card...and suffered no consequences?

Thank you again

Obongo case

dcmetro, any luck?
I found a similar case by a subscriber to this forum his name is Obongo, I hope this is of help.

Any body else left his employer soon after the Green card...and suffered no consequences?

Thank you again

Leaving Sponsor Employer is a non-issue

I left my employer, in good terms, within a month after getting GC and it was never an issue during my citizenship application process. I am scheduled for oath on July 4th and keeping m fingers crossed:)

Now you dont have have to quote my name all over the place...Good luck!

dcmetro, any luck?

Thank you again

For further reference, search on the following successful interviews will give you more insight and make you feel better :) :
  • obongo
  • PR2001Cit2007
  • reddyrx
  • pal_bay (spouse)
  • N400_SNA

I left my employer, in good terms, within a month after getting GC and it was never an issue during my citizenship application process. I am scheduled for oath on July 4th and keeping m fingers crossed:)

Now you dont have have to quote my name all over the place...Good luck!

Congratulations chicago_m, I read your interview experience and there was no mention about any employment related question being asked by the I/O. Could please elaborate if you were not even asked any employment related question at all? Did you mention the dates of your GC Employer on the N-400?

Thanks,
KV7

I had mentioned all my employment history, including my GC sponsor, in N-400 and there was no employment related question.
IO might have asked (cant't remember)for what do I do and I work now in non-IT field. I don't think there is any issue about switching jobs/employers.

Another opinion

Another lawyer said 3 months minimum

Was not a direct consultation from my side....through a colleague!!!

Keep replies coming gentlemen.

It all depends on whether you get an officer who wants to drill you about information on your employment history.

Post 45 of this thread (http://immigrationportal.com/showpost.php?p=1675278&postcount=45) describes a case where the person got into trouble at the citizenship interview for leaving the employer almost exactly upon getting the green card.

He ultimately prevailed, but it's not a good thing to have to dig yourself out of a hole in order to get approved.

Best thing would be to stay with GC-sponsored employer for 6 months.
Yes people LAUGH at this 6-month rule.

But I have heard some difficulty from people who have left too early (unfortunately I am not in touch with them now to get more info, just know that they had to go to a lot of length to prove things).

So, if you can wait, then WAIT for 6 months.

Another lawyer recomends 3-4 months.
Rationale: If things get ugly (employer complains to USCIS)...U present your reasons for leaving the job and you show that you worked 3-4 months so u can build a case.

Same Situation

Another lawyer recomends 3-4 months.
Rationale: If things get ugly (employer complains to USCIS)...U present your reasons for leaving the job and you show that you worked 3-4 months so u can build a case.

I changed my job after one month of getting the GC, the new job was of the same nature. My interview is scheduled for 10/2. Will post my comments after the interview.

A couple of things,

1) You've been beating this issue to death for answers for months now and you've gotten a lot to choose from, they are all random... decide what's right for yourself and move on. (in fact, of your 18 posts on the immigration website, 15 have to do with this issue. it makes me curious as to know why you never posted at all regarding any issue in getting your green card, after all that is were most of the hand wringing from people is especially in light of the retrogression issue... strange to say the least)

2) The reason they are all random is each one is not based on fact, but on each person's opinion or "feeling". You know what they say, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one". As they are opinions, they are pretty much useless. So back to point 1, move on, as you are getting information that is not based on fact and is worthless.

3) The reason no one has a solid answer, is because there is NO specific requirement from the government. Nothing, nada. Go back again and read the requirements for citizenship... on their website, read "am I eligible?" You won't find anything and no reason to deny you. (now before I hear the protests about fraudulent getting of green card from people, show me the rule/regulation/guideline.)

4) JoeF who used to like to write here and admire his own self importance, hell the guy in 2 years wrote more than 10,0000 posts, can you imagine what value his employers got from his salary? Well dear old JoeF who set himself up as the all knowing immigration guru and would fight, name call, berate anyone who didn't agree with him would constantly state "6 month rule of thumb" as if it were law. In fact he stated it so much, people on this board would repeat the term so much so it was taken for granted there was a "6 month rule of thumb". Others who would intelligently question the validity, not the logic, in such a rule would call it "6 month rule of dumb". Essentially, because there is no ruling and no one knows, people throw up a time value like 6 months...feeling in their own estimation that this is a prudent timeline. Others will say 1 year, others 3 months, others 1 month and some 2 years etc.

5) To remove all the emotions from the discussion, we did a poll of people who went to their citizenship interview and asked if their employment history and length of stay after receiving the green card was inquired on. Of the approx 100 people who chose to answer the poll, none had. Now there were people that said they "heard" of someone but when questioned for specifics they had none. So you have to treat "hearsay" like a court would... they throw it out. Aditionally, the one post described in a previous post, the junior IO took it to her supervisor who approved it within 10 minutes. Now why was it flagged, maybe a nervous wife worded it wrong, maybe not. However the key wording here is they have to prove "intent" to defraud. Intent is a very very difficult thing to prove especially with all the variables in employment relationships, hence the rationale behind AC21.

6) Conclusion. Stop stressing, enjoy your life and do what's right for you. If that means changing jobs, do it. There is no specific rule. Do a poll here if it makes you feel happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
5) To remove all the emotions from the discussion, we did a poll of people who went to their citizenship interview and asked if their employment history and length of stay after receiving the green card was inquired on. Of the approx 100 people who chose to answer the poll, none had.
There have been a few on this board who wrote about their experience and reported being asked about leaving the sponsoring employer. But they ultimately got their citizenship approved.

6) Conclusion. Stop stressing, enjoy your life and do what's right for you. If that means changing jobs, do it. There is no specific rule. Do a poll here if it makes you feel happy.
The EB people applying for citizenship within the past year or two are the first wave to become eligible for citizenship since AC21, so this has not really been tested. There won't be any clear rule until a court case occurs in which somebody is challenging a denial on this basis, or USCIS observes a pattern of too many people changing jobs quickly and decides to implement a specific rule (like what happened with labor subsitution). It will probably take years until such a clear rule is defined.

Bottom line: if your job is so terrible that you really want to leave now, or if you have another offer that is so incredibly great, leave now and worry about citizenship when the time comes (if it ever comes ... there is no obligation to apply for citizenship). Just be aware that there is some level of risk, however small or large it is. But life is never free of risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
what happens if I have proof that due to economy My employer was not able to take me back (it is true , they build houses and most likely will file chapter 11 soon, after countrywide did it. They depended heavely on those loans)

what happens if I have proof that due to economy My employer was not able to take me back (it is true , they build houses and most likely will file chapter 11 soon, after countrywide did it. They depended heavely on those loans)
How soon after filing the I-140 did they run into such financial trouble? If there was not much time in between, it casts some doubt on the truth of the "ability to pay" aspect of the I-140.

Maybe that will affect you, maybe it won't. But it is out of your control so stop worrying. The only thing you can control is if and when to apply for citizenship. The longer you wait to apply, the less they will be concerned about your employment at the time of getting the green card (in fact the N-400 only asks for your most recent 5 years of employment history).

Just a personal opinion: If you have stayed with an employer for 5-7 years already, then what is the big deal in staying another 5-6 months after you get your GC? (unless ofcourse you have to leave for unavoidable circumstances). You've waited so much already?

Again, just a personal opinion, feel free to do whatever you like or feel safe with.

No Worries

Don't worry, I had my interview today they didn't even ask for it even I changed my employer 1 month after getting the GC.