US citizen parents sponsoring over 21 son..

Hello FB-1 filers. I received my green card in the mail today!! Exactly three weeks after my interview. I am so happy. Good luck to ULTRON on his upcoming interview and good luck to the rest of you that are so patiently waiting!!

My official timeline for those who are interested:

10/01/08 - receipt date for I-485, 131, 765
10/06/08 - NOA date for receipt notices (I-485, 131, 765)
11/14/09 - biometrics I-485, 765
12/05/08 - EAD and AP approved
12/02/08 - NOA date for I-485 interview notice
01/27/09 - I-485 interview
02/04/09 - NOA date for Welcome Notice
02/17/09 - Green card received

I received my green card in the mail. I updated my signature to reflect that. Thanks everyone for stimulating discussions on this board.

Congratulations to all of you who received GC!! No more waiting!

A question regarding income for affidavit of support. What number do you report, before taxes or after?

My petitioner does not have stable income anymore and my concern now is that we won't meet the income requirement. What are my options?

Congratulations to all of you who received GC!! No more waiting!

A question regarding income for affidavit of support. What number do you report, before taxes or after?

My petitioner does not have stable income anymore and my concern now is that we won't meet the income requirement. What are my options?

you can have a joint sponsor, that is perfectly fine. even I will need a joint sponsor.

you can have a joint sponsor, that is perfectly fine. even I will need a joint sponsor.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to accept such responsibility unless they are family members. It's only me and my mom here, that's it. I asked my piece of s*** bf of 3.5 years a few months ago, explained the situation. All he said was that he sympathizes with my situation but won't be able to help. Sounds like the INS, doesn't?

Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to accept such responsibility unless they are family members. It's only me and my mom here, that's it. I asked my piece of s*** bf of 3.5 years a few months ago, explained the situation. All he said was that he sympathizes with my situation but won't be able to help. Sounds like the INS, doesn't?

It's not that big responsibility. ppl do favor to each other in this world, that is how things work. any of your friend in school or job and be a joint sponsor. I don't think it's a big deal, look around you. you have been living here, you must be knowing lot of ppl

get rid of him.

Army Seeks Language, Medical Skills From Non-Citizens

Feb 23
By C. Todd Lopez

WASHINGTON (Army News Service) - The Army plans to fill shortages in critical language and medical billets with "legally present non-citizens."

More: http://www.army.com/news/item/4858

ULTRON

Congrats!! But I don't understand one thing: the time between your I485 interview and receiving your GC is only 2 weeks?! And the same thing for mountaineer! :eek: Am I reading this right? Because my interview is March 12th...

ULTRON

I received my green card in the mail. I updated my signature to reflect that. Thanks everyone for stimulating discussions on this board.

mermaid06 - that a good question. My lawyer asked my mom and me to go to the interview, and also asked my mom to bring along copies of her tax returns just to prove her income and/or employment status. I think they're looking for petitioners with a certain level of income, etc.

ULTRON

Last edited by a moderator:
My citizenship oath ceremony is tomorrow, 4th March 2009. After this I plan to upgrade my son’s category from FB2B to FB1. With this his priority date in family petition which is April 2001 will immediately become current as per latest visa bulletin (March 2009).
However his employment based petition (EB3) which has a priority date of July 2002 is not yet current and moving very slowly, although his I 140 got approved recently. He was recently finger printed too and has an EAD and AP based on his employment based petition. He has also undergone medical test for this purpose. His employment based I-485 which was filed in July 2007 is not yet approved- maybe the name check is still pending.
My question is:
1) Should I tell him to withdraw employment based I-485 (not yet approved), so that he can right away file family based I-485, EAD and AP which has a current priority date in FB1 category? Then what happens to his employment based approved and valid EAD and AP? Also will he have to undergo finger printing and medical tests all over again?
or
2) File concurrently in family category also- this may mess up both the applications as per lawyers
or
3) Request USCIS to replace employment based I-485 with family based I-485?
I am really very confused and so is my son. After waiting for years for this to happen, we are still stuck as there is no clear guideline. Anybody there to advise, please? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with whichever is quicker. Filing both applications together would be a bad idea - although it is legal (I think) - but it would create a lot of confusion. Go with your family based sponsorship as I'm doing!

ULTRON

1) Should I tell him to withdraw employment based I-485 (not yet approved), so that he can right away file family based I-485, EAD and AP which has a current priority date in FB1 category? Then what happens to his employment based approved and valid EAD and AP? Also will he have to undergo finger printing and medical tests all over again?
or
2) File concurrently in family category also- this may mess up both the applications as per lawyers
or
3) Request USCIS to replace employment based I-485 with family based I-485?
I am really very confused and so is my son. After waiting for years for this to happen, we are still stuck as there is no clear guideline. Anybody there to advise, please? Thanks.

I would go with whichever is quicker. Filing both applications together would be a bad idea - although it is legal (I think) - but it would create a lot of confusion. Go with your family based sponsorship as I'm doing!

ULTRON

Were you being petitioned in an employment based category too, but have chosen family petition over it as its priority date became current? My son spent lot of money, time in his employment category which has yet to become current, so does not want to let it go- taking sometime to decide whether to opt for family category.
Meanwhile I have received my naturalization certificate and am a US citizen now.

Were you being petitioned in an employment based category too, but have chosen family petition over it as its priority date became current? My son spent lot of money, time in his employment category which has yet to become current, so does not want to let it go- taking sometime to decide whether to opt for family category.
Meanwhile I have received my naturalization certificate and am a US citizen now.

He would be very stupid to let pass up the family based as it is now current. You can't predict what will happen if he waits on the employment based(laws can be changed plus retrogression). He will receive a green card just as he will with employment based. What is he really thining about? Go for it. (FB)

Yes I was. My mom is a US citizen who filed for me and my interview is scheduled for next week!! Employment based visas involve weird commitments and/or contracts etc....especially for non-medical fields. Go with family category! Those involve less hassle and are more economical.

ULTRON

Hellow people...I have landed in USA..

I went for my social security number yesterday..i will receive it within 2 weeks ..

sincere thanks to all this site is just fabulous..its been with me through my immigratio process..
best of luck to all...
God bless
Mijac!