US citizen parents sponsoring over 21 son..

Yes it is!!! Trust me.....only travel after your son has gotten his GC! Those immigration ppl sitting at the airport are a bunch of dumb asses, who don't know jack about priority dates, immigration petition, visa number, etc. All they want to see is either a US citizenship or a GC. If you confuse them with complicated immigration terms, your son could be in trouble!

ULTRON

Ultron,
Do you think it is still risky (to travel)?

Congrats ULTRON! I am so happy for you. Mine is in less than 2 weeks! So excited. Did you get your AP and EAD? Also, which is your local office? Good luck and enjoy your last few days as being a non-GC holder.... :)

MERMAID- it looks like priority dates are moving for FB-1. I know you are in November 2002 and I can really see you adjusting at one point later this year. I think 2009 will be your year!!

Congrats Ultron and I hope you have a sucessful interview. My priority is just 1 week away, so I guess it will be current in the March bulletin. So most likely I wil have my interview come March....I am doing CP. Mermaid keep the faith, I think FB1 will keep moving at this pace or maybe better. I think they are less FB1 fliers now as you can see that the movements are consistent at this time of year, It looks like most FB1 fliers get married and convert to FB3. If you look at the past bulletins FB3 category is under alot of pressure and yet there is more to come as they are approching the 245i's applications....remember the dreaded April 22, 2001 date.

Ultron, please give updates on your preparation and interview until you receive your GC. Then after go and enjoy your freedom until citizenship time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mermaid look at my signature. That nine month thing to priority date is questionable...especially on my behalf. If I did have my interview from July 2005 and get married to a citizen, I would be almost a citizen now...lol.

Thanks.....I haven't received anything yet, but will soon. Interview is in Chicago...! Tell me how your interview goes....

Congrats ULTRON! I am so happy for you. Mine is in less than 2 weeks! So excited. Did you get your AP and EAD? Also, which is your local office? Good luck and enjoy your last few days as being a non-GC holder.... :)

MERMAID- it looks like priority dates are moving for FB-1. I know you are in November 2002 and I can really see you adjusting at one point later this year. I think 2009 will be your year!!

Hello everyone - my interview is on March 12th!!

Congrats ULTRON!! Great for you.

I have a question for you. my receipt number starts as MSC -09-xxxx. what is your receipt # started as? it looks like my file is in National Benefits Center.

I had my interview last thursday(1/15/09). The immigration office didn't ask any real questions. He just asked to see my original birth certificate and my dad's naturalization certificate. We volunteered our latest job letters. He then said he needed to verify I was always in status since I had changed my status a few times. He wrote a little note in my passport that I was interview on that date, gave us a letter saying the same and told us we will hear in the mail.

nish03,
Can you please put in your full timeline? Was your family petition filed by your parents when they were permanent residents and became citizens later which is when your category was upgraded?
I have filed as permanentresident for my adult son. Now I am about to become citizen. However my son who is in USA on H1 is also being filed in employment category EB3 which is almost 90 % thru. His I 485 in EB3 was filed last year and he is just waiting for his PD to become current. Meanwhile his lawyer has suggested that I should not file I485/ upgrade his case in family category for a while as an EB3 based I485 is already filed. One cannot file I485 twice in two different categories.Is this correct?

guys my PD is 10/08/02 under FB1. When date becomes current (hopefully around May), what is the exact procedure to follow? Do I have to wait to be contacted by immigration or do I initiate and send I-485/I-765/I-131 combo? At which point should I do medical?

If PD in May is for example 10/06/02 and I am 2 days away from it, is it advisable to go ahead and mail it few days later or wait for the next month visa bulletin to be sure PD is current. Problem is I cannot extend my H1-b after 5/19/08 (long story..my fault... 6 years expiring, didn't apply for 1 year extension 365 days before H1-b expiration), so it will be a close call in terms of dates. I can only hope visa bulletin advances to 10/08/02 by May '09 :(

Not sure as to who needs to contact who?

Can you please put in your full timeline?
- It's in my signature now.

Was your family petition filed by your parents when they were permanent residents and became citizens later which is when your category was upgraded?
Yes

I have filed as permanentresident for my adult son. Now I am about to become citizen. However my son who is in USA on H1 is also being filed in employment category EB3 which is almost 90 % thru. His I 485 in EB3 was filed last year and he is just waiting for his PD to become current. Meanwhile his lawyer has suggested that I should not file I485/ upgrade his case in family category for a while as an EB3 based I485 is already filed. One cannot file I485 twice in two different categories.Is this correct?
As far as I know that is flat out wrong. You can file in multiple categories. I would check with another attorney

Yes

As far as I know that is flat out wrong. You can file in multiple categories. I would check with another attorney

Neither I am 100% sure, not an attorney but you may request an action on existing I-485 with new facts i.e. he/she is eligible for family immigration as well.

Thanks

congratulations nish, you got it very quickly.
Regarding multiple I-485's they can be filed, but lawyer's do not recommend doing so becuase USCIS would slow processing both 485's. I know some one who filed two I-485's by going against his lawyer's recommendation and it took him more than 3 years.
any way it's always better to consult more than one lawyer.

Yes

For those that had to send in an upgrade letter to USCIS when their parent/s becamse US citizens, where was this letter sent to? I sent something similar (can't even remember where I sent it to), but when I receive stuff from USCIS, nothing has changed. I'm still listed in the same category, not the new category I should be in. So where exactly should I send this letter to?

For those that had to send in an upgrade letter to USCIS when their parent/s becamse US citizens, where was this letter sent to? I sent something similar (can't even remember where I sent it to), but when I receive stuff from USCIS, nothing has changed. I'm still listed in the same category, not the new category I should be in. So where exactly should I send this letter to?

Same thing happened to me last year. I sent everything needed to USCIS TWICE! (Cover letter, copies of my approved I-130, My mother's Naturization letter, passport copy etc). And got letters back from USCIS saying my priority date has not been reached so I can't apply for adjustment. I was very confused about it because I wasn't applying for adjustment, I was applying for upgrade. I also called NVC, they don't have my file, because I am inside the USA. Now I think the procedure is that just send in everything when my priority is reach along with I-485, it seems like what USCIS wants to do is doing F-1 category upgrade and adjustment of status at the same time. They refused to upgrade you unless your priority date has been reach. So I am still technically in F2B status right now. What is your situation, I am curious to know.

guys my PD is 10/08/02 under FB1. When date becomes current (hopefully around May), what is the exact procedure to follow? Do I have to wait to be contacted by immigration or do I initiate and send I-485/I-765/I-131 combo? At which point should I do medical?

If PD in May is for example 10/06/02 and I am 2 days away from it, is it advisable to go ahead and mail it few days later or wait for the next month visa bulletin to be sure PD is current. Problem is I cannot extend my H1-b after 5/19/08 (long story..my fault... 6 years expiring, didn't apply for 1 year extension 365 days before H1-b expiration), so it will be a close call in terms of dates. I can only hope visa bulletin advances to 10/08/02 by May '09 :(

Not sure as to who needs to contact who?

anybody with an answer?

Thanks

I am a US citizen and i was wondering whether if i want to bring my sister who is married and what would be the process of getting GC for her. Also i have another sister who is 25yrs and not married, will i be able to get her here, if so with which status?

I got a letter in the mail saying welcome to America. My application has been approved! Got another card production ordered email.