US citizen parents sponsoring over 21 son..

Ultron,
I am a Legal Permanent Resident waiting to be interviewed for naturalization (at CSC). As an LPR I have filed I130 for my adult son in April 2001 who is on F1/H1 in USA since last 10 years. Never went out of status.
While I am waiting for interview which maybe in Jan or Feb 2009, hopefully with positive results I was wondering if and when I do get naturalized, can I upgrade his petition to FB1 and send the relevant forms- I 864, I 485 , EAD etc along with my naturalization certificate even before the oath ceremony? I mean oath ceremony in California is another month away, so can I upgrade without waiting for oath etc. ?
Also, can he travel international if I have/ or have not yet upgraded his category? What is safer?
I have been following your thread. Except for your being out of status, rest of my/son's case is similar to yours/ your parents who filed I130 for you. Thanks

you need to have your citizenship approved. you send in a copy of this approval notice, together with your son's paperwork, and then they'll upgrade his status. so you need to wait for the oath ceremony. DON'T EVEN THINK OF INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL!!! Only travel after he has received his GC.

ULTRON

Ultron,
I am a Legal Permanent Resident waiting to be interviewed for naturalization (at CSC). As an LPR I have filed I130 for my adult son in April 2001 who is on F1/H1 in USA since last 10 years. Never went out of status.
While I am waiting for interview which maybe in Jan or Feb 2009, hopefully with positive results I was wondering if and when I do get naturalized, can I upgrade his petition to FB1 and send the relevant forms- I 864, I 485 , EAD etc along with my naturalization certificate even before the oath ceremony? I mean oath ceremony in California is another month away, so can I upgrade without waiting for oath etc. ?
Also, can he travel international if I have/ or have not yet upgraded his category? What is safer?
I have been following your thread. Except for your being out of status, rest of my/son's case is similar to yours/ your parents who filed I130 for you. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
interview required for GC to be issued. they need to confirm parent-child relationship.

ULTRON

I have a silly question. What does interview imply? You guys have been talking about interview, but I actually don't know what that is. Does it mean I-485 gets approved after interview? Or GC after interview?

If you live in the US ~ 15 more months....you'll get your EAD in ~ 4 months...

Congratulations!!

finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! pass the cut off date. i feel exhaust. i have been waiting this moment for six and half years. what a ridiculous moment. after this, now what? how long i have to go to get the real green card? :confused::confused:

If you live in the US ~ 15 more months....you'll get your EAD in ~ 4 months...

Congratulations!!

Thanks ULTRON !! :)
also, I wish CSIQ, mermaid06, Xerostomic etc., can get your PD current before June 2009. Good luck guys.
I will keep my update in this thread.

Thanks for the good wishes, drownfish. You guys are my only support system in this process! None of my friends or even my boyfriend understand what I am going through here. It seems that if people get their status though marriage or a relative, but without prolonged waiting or while they were a child and didn't know what was going on, they have no understanding what it really takes to go through this... My bf got his GC through F4 when he was still a child and thinks everything in life comes on a platter.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that you prediction will come true. June 2009 sounds good to me!!!

Thanks ULTRON !! :)
also, I wish CSIQ, mermaid06, Xerostomic etc., can get your PD current before June 2009. Good luck guys.
I will keep my update in this thread.

thanks drownfish, best luck to you. I am also very thankful for this community. lots of info otherwise I wouldn't know. I am taking it step by step. There will be lights at the end of the tunnel. June 2009, then gc in 3 month:)

I-485

hi, I wondering where do we need to file adjustment of status applications. For Massacusetts for example do we need to file it at vermont service center or local service center.
I don't see processing times for I-485 at vermont service center and even at other three service centers there are no processing times for family based I-485. Since some of you have already filed 485 you guys would have knowledge about that.

Hi, from I485 filing instructions here is where to file:
USCIS P.O. Box 805887 Chicago, IL 60680-4120
Form I-485 Service Center Filing Addresses:
For courier/express deliveries:
USCIS Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517

hi, I wondering where do we need to file adjustment of status applications. For Massacusetts for example do we need to file it at vermont service center or local service center.
I don't see processing times for I-485 at vermont service center and even at other three service centers there are no processing times for family based I-485. Since some of you have already filed 485 you guys would have knowledge about that.

Hi, from I485 filing instructions here is where to file:
USCIS P.O. Box 805887 Chicago, IL 60680-4120
Form I-485 Service Center Filing Addresses:
For courier/express deliveries:
USCIS Attn: FBAS 131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor Chicago, IL 60603-5517

thanks mermaid, I wondering what are the current processing times for I-485 if I file it from Massachusetts.
our pd is 5 months away lets hope cutoff dates move atleast 3 weeks per VB

Hi Xerostomic,
how is school? Enjoying your winter break?
National avg processing time is 13.6 months again per uscis website
Maybe local offices have their own processing times. I remember they used to have this information on the website but now I can't find it...
Oh, I really hope this thing moves at least 3 wks per month. I will be applying for residencies next September and hopefully if I already have EAD it hopefully I can then choose the option "pr" on the electronic application??

thanks mermaid, I wondering what are the current processing times for I-485 if I file it from Massachusetts.
our pd is 5 months away lets hope cutoff dates move atleast 3 weeks per VB

Hi Xerostomic,
how is school? Enjoying your winter break?
National avg processing time is 13.6 months again per uscis website
Maybe local offices have their own processing times. I remember they used to have this information on the website but now I can't find it...
Oh, I really hope this thing moves at least 3 wks per month. I will be applying for residencies next September and hopefully if I already have EAD it hopefully I can then choose the option "pr" on the electronic application??
yeh winter break is great. my first semester was very hectic, any way three more semesters left. I hope our PD become current before the end of school. I am planing to go for general practice right after graduation so I will be at the mercy of H1B if my PD doesn't become current. If neither my PD becomes current nor I get H1B quota then I will have to work for some non profit organization or will go for a residency. any way let's see what happens.

Happy New Year!

Hello people, wanted to wish everybody Happy and Successful New Year and let all the waiting come to an end in 2009!!!
Lets hope we all get our GC this year or our PDs become current at least.
Please, please, please 2009 do not disappoint me!!!

Here is my new year resolution, the visa bulletin is going at a 2 month per bulletin rate. The I-485 process takes 3 month for all of us. Happy New Year! :D

February 2009 Visa Bulletin predictions

Ok, I will be the first poster in this thread in 2009. How about making predictions for the next visa bulletin that should be out any day now.

My prediction for FB1 is July 7th 2002... Any other predictions?

Ok, I will be the first poster in this thread in 2009. How about making predictions for the next visa bulletin that should be out any day now.

My prediction for FB1 is July 7th 2002... Any other predictions?

Nice prediction. 08 July 2002.

you need to have your citizenship approved. you send in a copy of this approval notice, together with your son's paperwork, and then they'll upgrade his status. so you need to wait for the oath ceremony. DON'T EVEN THINK OF INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL!!! Only travel after he has received his GC.

ULTRON
Ultron,
Thanks for your input. Me and my son are considering international travel immediately after my citizenship interview (which is on 27th Jan09)but before oath ceremony for 3 weeks only. I am thinking of requesting the IO to schedule my oath one month later (ofcourse if I am approved ie:) My son's PD under FB2B is April 2001 which will become current under FB1 once I become citizen. I will upgrade my son's petition only after I come back, take oath and then send in the papers. Do you think it is still risky (to travel)?

Last edited by a moderator: