US Citizen : Non-Cancelled Indian Passport Lost : Need Indian Visa or PIO or OCI

u_kno_me

Registered Users (C)
Which ever is the fastest. .... but let me start with a lil bit details .....

We became US citizens last year (sept/oct time). had no plans to go to india at that time so did not get our passport cancelled or surrender our indian citizenship or apply for OCI/PIO.

Now wifey planned an india trip for the month of July(2 - 30) with kids, and we need either an Indian tourist/entry Visa or PIO or OCI (whichever is the fastest).... but the situation is ... My wife seems to have lost her indian passport (i would say misplaced somewhere). We cannot find it anywhere in our home/office (we will keep trying, but just in case we dont find it., then ??). I am getting worried because she has already booked her tickets for July trip.

Experts your help, advice, guidance. Can she still get her Visa (seems to be the fastest) or can she get her PIO/OCI card without cancelling her indian passprt or surrendering her indian citizenship (for which I assume you need indian passport). Basically, can she travel to india at all in this situation. We only got 1 month and 5 days in hand. Situation is getting real tight now.

If we dont find the indian passport then can something be done if we go there personally.

HELP!!!!

PS : We fall in the Washington DC jurisdiction. We are around 550 miles away from DC (its not an easy drive either).

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Welcome to Indian Government 101. I think you can file for a SC with a police report and photo copies saying that passport is lost. It also depends on which is your consulate. As per Houston, there is no requirement for SC (for now). But they are not approving any OCI's either.

I think all consulates are now asking for a surrender certificate for ANY visa service - OCI/PIO/regular visa. Do you have an older Indian passport? If you do, that might also work for obtaining surrender certificate.

Here is Info from NY consulate FAQ ( they can change any time the info posted)

Q4 I have lost/misplaced/submitted (to US authorities) my Indian passport. How may I obtain a Surrender Certificate?

If you do not have your Indian passport, you need to submit a sworn affidavit (notarized) explaining loss of your passport. You may attach a copy of your lost passport with your application. If your passport has been retained by the US authorities, you may submit some documentary proof to that effect. If you have lost an Indian passport which was valid beyond January 2005, you need to submit a police report along with your application. You may also provide additional documents (copy of birth certificate) to prove your Indian origin. Once your application is accepted as complete, we’ll issue you an acknowledgement that you have surrendered your citizenship and that your passport has been lost.

*** OCI or PIO does not seem to be possible for your wife travel and will take time. First she must get surrendered Certificate from Consulate then Apply Entry(X) Visa for India through Travisa Visa and attach the surrendered Certificate with Visa application. Visa it taking about 15 days at this time.

US citizen has OCI but does not have Indian passoert for cancellation-Lost Passport

Sir, My Brother is a US Citizen. He got OCI last year. At that time . nobody asked for Indian Passport-duly cancelled or surrender certificate. My borther has US Passport and OCI, but does not have cancelled Indian Passport. He wants to go India in October-11, but scared of do not having Indian passport and surrender certificate, What to do?

Sir, My Brother is a US Citizen. He got OCI last year. At that time . nobody asked for Indian Passport-duly cancelled or surrender certificate. My borther has US Passport and OCI, but does not have cancelled Indian Passport. He wants to go India in October-11, but scared of do not having Indian passport and surrender certificate, What to do?

He does not need either Indian passport or surrender certificate for travel to India - just his US passport (with OCI visa) and blue OCI booklet.