US Citizen going to apply for wife's I-130

floyd777

Registered Users (C)
I read through a number of threads but could not find a complete answer.

I got married in 2010 and I did not apply for my wife since I was waiting to get naturalized. Since I became a US Citizen, now I want to apply for her I-130.

I have the following documents that I need for her application. Can someone please help me if these are enough?

1) Copy of Birth certificates with certified translations
2)Copy of marriage certificate with certified translation
3)Copy of her passport
4)Copy of my naturalization certificate
5)Divorce decrees if either of you were married before
7)6 passport sized pictures of her
8)Proof that you have seen each other in the past two years. For example, pictures, airline tickets, etc
Joint bank account statements if you have
9)My Photos.

Are these all that I need?

From what I have understood, the process is first to file a I-130 and then I wait and then apply for her I-485 through counselor processing. Any ideas how long I should plan for this whole process to take?

I got married in 2010 and I did not apply for my wife since I was waiting to get naturalized. Since I became a US Citizen, now I want to apply for her I-130.

I have the following documents that I need for her application. Can someone please help me if these are enough?

3)Copy of her passport
8)Proof that you have seen each other in the past two years. For example, pictures, airline tickets, etc
9)My Photos.

From what I have understood, the process is first to file a I-130 and then I wait and then apply for her I-485 through counselor processing. Any ideas how long I should plan for this whole process to take?

You need to file in signed and completed Form G-325A for yourself and your wife to provide biographic information.Processing times are not fixed and it may vary. For I-130, it is generally 5 months and for I -485 it depends on the US consulate at the country of your wife's residence. And the process is Consular processing.

Contact the US consulate office with all the documents. I think you have quit good file to apply.Its processing time is not fixed. Hope this works

Contact the US consulate office with all the documents. I think you have quit good file to apply.Its processing time is not fixed. Hope this works

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go with a lawyer and he will help out in the application process.

3)Copy of her passport
9)My Photos.

It is good that you will seek professional help because you are confused about several very simple basic things and very little decent advice has been provided so far. The G-325 forms are also needed--but you would have known that IF you had found and read the I-130 form instructions. (That bit about "meeting in the past 2 years" is for FIANCES and you are already married--it's irrelevant.)

An I-130 is filed by mail with USCIS at a central location in the U.S. in all but a small number of VERY SPECIFIC cases and you show zero signs of qualifying for any special processing. You need to mail it to USCIS.

An I-130 is merely a petition to prove a relationship and get a classification, in this case as an IR-1, spouse of a USC.

The I-485 is an application filed ONLY in the U.S. for lawfully admitted aliens who are already in the U.S. and have an immigrant visa immediately available.

Consular Processing is employed for individuals such as your wife who is not inside the U.S. That process uses different forms and some of them are e-filed.

AFTER the I-130 is approved by USCIS, you will then be dealing with the State Department. The National Visa Center (NVC) handles the up front processing which includes the affidavit of support (I-864). NVC will be communicating with you and her (or whomever she assigns--probably you again). Once NVC completes its tasks, the case will continue at the appropriate Consulate and/or Embassy abroad based on where she is.

Now that you have an idea of what is involved, you might want to check the information available for free online at www.uscis.gov and follow links from there to the various State Department websites.

Good Luck.

Thank you very much Big Joe - I read through the complete process and I have decided to retain a lawyer to help with paperwork.