US Address when abroad for over 6 months

Monica90

Hi,
I have GC for 2 years now and planning to travel to India for about 6 months or longer. My question is what should I do with my apt.. I currently rent a place, and thinking of vacating it when away. It will save me the high rent in NYC area and also the risk of leaving it vacant for long time.

1) Are there any risks of not having a US address when away for 6 months or longer?
2) If I don't have US Address, what should I indicate on AR-11? Bank accounts?
3) How important is US address for 'ties' to US?

Unfortunately sub-lease is not permitted per the lease agreement.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Thanks.

Hi,
I have GC for 2 years now and planning to travel to India for about 6 months or longer. My question is what should I do with my apt.. I currently rent a place, and thinking of vacating it when away. It will save me the high rent in NYC area and also the risk of leaving it vacant for long time.

I am facing the same dilemma as I am renting also, and planning to go aboard for 4 months. And the landlord said that there is no guaranty apartment will be available when I come back. And as you said, paying 4 months advance rent is costly as I could use that money for my traveling.

So also contemplating as what to do with my place of resident.

For your address, as cafeconleche mentioned, your best option might be to get a POBox as your main mailing addressing and have all your mail forwarded to that address. The problem is if you open up an POBOX account from local US postal service (or open up a bank account), they will ask for your physical address on the application. So just give them your current resident address.

Yes, PO box address can be used for bank accounts etc. But what about AR-11? The form clearly states PO box cannot be used.
I am not sure if you can provide friends address on AR-11 either.

Oh really? It's on the form? Hmm, I guess I'm wrong about having used a PO box in the past, then. Or, they've changed the rules. You sure you can't use a friend's address temporarily? You could also just leave it for now until you're back. You don't have any pending applications with them, do you?