Urgent!

malel

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody!

Have an urgent question. My asylum case is based on persecution from a government-enforced organization. So initial asylum application saing YES - to the question have you ever been arrested or detained. Asylum approved long time ago and citizenship interview is coming up.
So now in N400 i had to answer YES to the question "have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law-enforced officer". So i had to answer YES, not to mismatch both applications, and i included explanation with my N 400 application. Its said that i was detained and persecuted by government enforced organization, that i never was officially arrested but detained and persecuted and all that information was submitted to USCIS with my original application.

Today i got a letter from USCIS asking to bring "arrest records" to interview. I don't have any records. Why they are asking this if its already known information for them submitted with original application and will i have problems with citizenship now? What do i do? Please advice

did you indicate that in your citizenship application? I mean did you describe for what you were detained?

Because I suppose years passed from the time you got your asylum approved so, more than that USCIS doesn't open asylum cases. USCIS citizenship officer cannot review your asylum application (I am not 100% sure but I think this is the case) this means that if you inicated in your citizenship application that you were arrested they have no idea what you mean that's why they are asking you arrest record. If you tell them simply that you were arrested in your country and that's why you got asylum because your arrest was politically motivated this would clear up situation with officer.

I am not 100% sure this is just my assumption. I never had citizenship interview, I wish I had though

Yes, that what i included as an explanation together with my N 400. Still got the letter asking for "arrest records". Is it just a procedure, they ask everybody to bring documents for things like that, or my written explanation was not satisfying?

May be they assume you still keep your arrest record even it is from your home country. If they didn't say in lettter that if you don't bring arrest record your case might be denied then you don't have to worry i suppose

Yeah just say on interview that you escaped political persecution and political arrest and you don't have any record from your country. and that you got asylum based on this. Should be fine I think.

They do cross check all the application to clear any ambiguities. As to Malel's question, just take whatever you have with you. If you can have someone obtain the records on your behalf and send it to you, do that. If it is not possible, it is not the end of the world. Just explain to them the situation.

Just a heads up, you will not be approved right away at the interview. Anybody who answers yes to the question about been arrested or detained, the application is sent to the supervisor after the interview for approval. If it is not a serious crime, you normally get approved within a couple of days. Atleast that was the case for me and my brothers.

I cant believe that you said YES to the citizenship question " have you ever been arrested", now you invited tons of problems on you, you should answer NO as long as you have no criminal record in this country and as long as you never broke the laws of the united states of America, what you did is pure foolish, you have no criminal records anywhere else, why did you answer Yes? I don't be surprised if the officer asked you to bring arrests records from your country

wOW, i didnt know i could actually say NO. The way the question is phrased says "Have you EVER been detained or arrested". My initial Asylum application saying YES to this question too, so i thought i had to be consistent with it since its already on USCIS records and actually is a ground for asylum case. But now since im in trouble, i will just try to explain. Let's see what happens. I will let you guys know

Update. Went to the interview today. It took literally 3 min. The question they asked was "have you ever been arrested other than political arrest". Didnt ask for explanation, records, nothing. Approved right there. So all fears were for nothing

Update. Went to the interview today. It took literally 3 min. The question they asked was "have you ever been arrested other than political arrest". Didnt ask for explanation, records, nothing. Approved right there. So all fears were for nothing

Congrats!!!