Urgent - Travel to India - 485 ongoing

lakshmi_s

Registered Users (C)
My Green Card processing is underway and my wife and son have also filed for the same as my dependant.
I came to USA thru company A and my passport has the H1 stamping of company A which expired on Sep 2000. I moved from company A to company B in June 2000 and did not get my passport stamped again. I never travelled out of the country too. Company B has extended my H1 and applied for GC. I have my EAD and advance parole which expire in January 2003.
Can I travel to India now ? I am concerned about my passport showing an expired date. My H1 papers have the correct dates. Please advice.

Advance Parole is enough!

The purpose of Advance Parole itself is for someone who do not have valid Visa in passport....

Take your I485 reciepts with you.....

Thank you.

I read in murthy's website, that people who were out of status for sometime for some reason, should not travel during 485 process even if they have a advance parole.

what determines that your are 'out of status' ?

Difference between "unlawful presence" and "out of status"

---------------------

3. AILA 2002 Conference Report : Unlawful Presence Regulation Expected

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) expects to be issuing regulations on the concept of “unlawful presence” within the next few months. INS General Counsel, Owen "Bo" Cooper, made this significant announcement at the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) Annual Conference, held in San Francisco, June 2002.

Unlawful presence is an important subject in immigration law. Essentially, persons unlawfully present in the U.S. for more than 180 days are barred from reentering the U.S. for three years. Those who are unlawfully present in excess of a year are barred from reentry for ten years. Both reentry bars are triggered upon departure from the U.S. Unlawful presence is a different, narrower concept than that of one's being "out of status." Unlawful presence, under current interpretation, is counted from either the date of the expiration of the authorized period of stay indicated on the I-94 (arrival / departure card) or at the time the INS or Immigration Judge determines the person to be out of status. For example, a person could be out of status as an H1B after having been laid off from work but, unless the INS or the Immigration Judge makes a specific ruling regarding the individual's status, the person is not unlawfully present until the I-94 expires.

There are two main questions regarding the concept of unlawful presence. The first is, which events trigger the start of the unlawful presence period? The second is, which events stop or "toll" the counting of the time toward unlawful presence? These important matters are mainly set forth in a piecemeal fashion in INS memoranda. However, INS has indicated it intends to issue a regulation that will cover this situation – a claim they have made for many years. However, as explained by General Counsel Cooper, they were trying to regulate the entire section of law that includes the unlawful presence bars to reentry. This was simply too large and complex a provision to regulate at one time. For that reason, the regulation is being broken into seven portions, the first portion addressing unlawful presence.

The regulation will also address the related issue of visa cancellation under INA Section 222(g). Under this provision, the visa of a person who overstays his/her authorized period of stay as set forth on the I-94 is automatically canceled at the conclusion of the I-94 period. This occurs without notification. We covered the consequences of this matter last week (June 21, 2002) in our article, “Reminder, Overstay Can Cancel Multiple Entry Visa,” available on MurthyDotCom <http://www.murthy.com/UDovrcan.html>.

While the General Counsel did not give any specific sign as to the content of the regulation, the political environment indicates that the regulation may seek to eliminate any perceived loopholes in the current interpretation of unlawful presence. In light of heavy enforcement efforts directed toward students, there may be some tightening of the definition of categories when I-94s are given with the notation D/S (duration of status), rather than a set expiration date. Students are included in this group. Persons such as Canadian tourists, who enter without visas or I-94s, may also be addressed since such people occasionally enter the U.S. and remain for many years without ever triggering the “unlawful presence” provisions. (The reason for this is that, without an I-94, there is no date from which to count unlawful presence unless the person comes to the attention of INS or the Immigration Court.)

We will report on the proposed regulations, when issued. In the interim, we can only warn MURTHYBULLETIN and MurthyDotCom readers to make every possible effort to maintain lawful status and avoid engaging in activities (such as unauthorized employment) that violate the terms of status.

© The Law Office of Sheela Murthy, P.C.

Originally posted by lakshmi_s
Thank you.

I read in murthy's website, that people who were out of status for sometime for some reason, should not travel during 485 process even if they have a advance parole.

what determines that your are 'out of status' ?

Hi lakshmi_s

Hi,
U can go to India, and get a new H1B Visa in India and u can come back using that H1B.

I dont think u have to use Advance Parole.
Last month I did the same thing. Came here 4 yrs ago through company A. Joined Company B... stayed with them for 2 yrs. They started my GC, then last year joined Company C. I485 filed based on future employment.

So in my passport I had visa for company A. So went to india last montrh and got visa for Company C and came back using H1B

HTH
Sudhi

You are absolutely fine. I had the same scenario (even worse as per your standard).

I traveled outside US in August, 2002 on AP. I was on H1 and my last H1 visa stamp expired in 1999. I never left the US since 1997 but was on H1 throughout. When I traveled, I gave the valid I-94 on my current H1 approval notice upon check in. Returned and got a new I-94 with "Paroled until xx/xx/2003" stamp. Gave this new white I-94 when I went for GC stamping.

Good Luck and Travel with Peace!

Lakshmi,

True, even those traveling on AP, must be careful about the 3 or 10 year ban. The ban only applies to those who stay beyond the date given in the most recent I-94 (either the white card or the I-94 from the Approval Notice).

Out-Of-Status = For eg: A H1B holder staying in the US w/o a job with valid I-94 dates

OverStay = Those who stay beyond the date stated in the current I-94 and NOT have an application pending at the INS

Overstaying constitute the ban. This warning is stated in the AP notice.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Kakatiya_king, RCYC1, Sudhi_24 and Upstate_NY. This really means to me. I was wondering if there is anybody who travelled with a similar case...

I do have another question. My wife was laid off in Feb 2001 and she got another job in May 2001. she was not paid during march and april 2001 by her old company. When the new company did a H1, they did a H1 transfer. Does that mean she was out-of-status in march and april 2001 ?